Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I just installed some peerless sls 6” too (also thanks to Justin) and am tuning. So far they are great! But to geolemon, I wouldn’t run them much over 500hz.
    Awesome. Let me know how you like after you get them dialed in. I’ve been impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I just installed some peerless sls 6” too (also thanks to Justin) and am tuning. So far they are great! But to geolemon, I wouldn’t run them much over 500hz.
    Oh for sure, look at that - and that makes me think those aren't the Peerless 6's I have in that cabinet, because these actually sound great right up to the tweets.

That might still give me a short term option...
    I'm hoping I can do a phase 1/phase 2 thing:
    1) 2-way with a 6.5/tweet, temporarily
    2) 3 way by adding a mid in a fabricated location

Maybe I could buy two sets of those, planning for phase 2... But for phase 1 I could steal the 6.5s from my basement radio for the fronts, temporarily...

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by mauian View Post
    Yes, the GS25 do not look all that impressive, but they sound great.
    I forgot to ask-
    How did you settle on these guys? Did you have a chance to hear them first?
    I still have some other drivers that I was playing with when I did that Pathfinder install, but none of them were in that price range, since i was going to need to buy 6 of them. Still was very happy with those, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set (and I probably will... I'll go through my Parts Express order history to see if I can find them, if the history goes back that far...).

Did you have any others on your short list? I'd like to make a list of my own as I plan this thing out, and start researching after I at least get the "easy" 2-way base in place.

4. Back To Top    #34

I needed a wideband that was less than 3” in diameter due to the OEM opening size. On my short list were:

- Audiofrog GS25
    - HAT unity U2
    - HAT L2SE
    - Audible Physics Ram 2

I have had experience with Audiofrog stuff (G60S, GS690) and knew I would be getting quality. Plus, Andy is awesome to work with. He takes time to answer your questions and if a speaker has any issues he does what he can within reason to take care of you (often above and beyond). I know that sounds like a commercial, but that’s just my experience with him.

I hadn’t personally heard any of the other speakers, but I want to. I have heard good things about all of them.

I’m probably missing out on some raw drivers from Madisound or Parts Express as that’s a bit of a new world for me. But, I’ve loved what I have had so far from them such as the SB29RDNC tweets and now the Peerless SLS 6.

Can’t wait to see where you go with your new build/install.

5. Back To Top    #35

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I know Audiofrog has good stuff - it's just funny how that looks like a cheap OEM speaker, has no apparent advantages (fancy cone, phase plug, etc) but clearly must be well engineered.

I'm tuned into these forums in part because it's install time again and I'm looking for stuff I can't get locally.

I'm curious - granted you are firing them up into a windshield that will redirect - but are you noticing them rolling off on the high end? Based on 2.5" diaphragm size, they should start rolling off around 3khz, again that top of dash location may help?

Do you have a link - is that one Madisound carries? I need four - and preferably ones that may initially play up to 3khz as I might start out as a 2 way front stage. I'd love to check those out.

EDIT: is it these?
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148
    Small world... I may actually own two of those - currently have them in a classic radio conversion I did this year (will add pics).

is that actual measured at listening position, or simulated based on DSP settings out (signal)?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    This is great. When I first glanced at these photos I thought you had posted random pictures of an old school jukebox or turntable cabinet. Now I see this is car audio gear.

How does it sound?

6. Back To Top    #36

I needed a wideband that was less than 3” in diameter due to the OEM opening size. On my short list were:

- Audiofrog GS25
    - HAT unity U2
    - HAT L2SE
    - Audible Physics Ram 2
    Awesome, thanks. Good to have things to look into.
    I may reach out to them, see what they say - I'm definitely intrigued.

I’m probably missing out on some raw drivers from Madisound or Parts Express as that’s a bit of a new world for me. But, I’ve loved what I have had so far from them such as the SB29RDNC tweets and now the Peerless SLS 6.

Can’t wait to see where you go with your new build/install.
    Well, I'm not a big fan of buying without listening, because there's only so much that you can determine from specs. Another reason the Pathfinder was a budget install was because I bought I forget, at least 5 or 6 single drivers from PE and Madisound, and mocked up a decent size bookshelf speaker, and started listening to them - so I did let my ears decide. But they were all relatively cheap, I am sure I only spent about $100 or so on that round for listening. Then, that one I liked best - I bought 5 more. Or maybe I bought 6, thinking "smart to have a spare"... I'll have to check next time I'm at the storage unit.

My PE buying history either doesn't go back that far or I wasn't logged in or didn't have an account back then... and I don't see any that look like these - shame because I definitely WOULD have them in my short list to use again, if I remembered what the hell they were.

But this time, I'm getting intrigued by controlling reflections by making them basically coincident - by mounting a mid right at that corner windshield location.

This is great. When I first glanced at these photos I thought you had posted random pictures of an old school jukebox or turntable cabinet. Now I see this is car audio gear.

How does it sound?
    It honestly sounds great. It was a garage sale find for $20 - from one of my old installers from back when I managed the local shop here, actually. Passed it on for what he found it for, after I drooled all over it over Facebook.

That amp is nothing special - it's a 6 channel amp, pretty low power (I forget what now), four channels are bridged to two to feed both voice coils of a very generic 12" DVC sub that I picked up along the way - entry level, low power, nothing special, not even a painted basket from one of my OEM hookups who said "here, free to a good home".
    Focal T90K tweeters up top, just firing through some large holes I made on the other side and rounded off. They really are my kind of tweeters - soft (Kevlar I believe) inverted domes, they aren't too bright, but tons of detail.
    The Peerless mystery 6.5's that I can't check the model number on because the lower part is a pretty generous sealed and stuffed cabinet for them., and I'd have some major disassembly just to get it to where I can remove the mids. But same thing - they just sound... right. No coloration, no complaints.
    And both are pretty efficient - I've got hardly any power on them with just two channels of that amp running through those passive crossovers you see if you look deep to either side of the tweeters.

One interesting thing is those curved panels on this old radio - it only had one big speaker originally, so I think it even predated the very concept of "stereo"... but I carefully mounted the speakers so that they would fire into the curved openings, the tweeters spaced right at the outermost opening. It's not like having a true pair of stereo speakers on each side of you in the room, but if you are directly in front of it (I basically have it in front of my old Ikea sofa in the basement), there's actually some stereo separation.

But they do sound great - I spent way too much time tweaking those knobs on that old-school MTX crossover - you know how that goes. I'm thinking these Peerless probably don't have the midbass potential of the SLS 6's... someday I'll have to pull this apart to get the model number to compare. I'm not lacking for midbass, but I'm also not cranking it in this small space. I'll have to stress-test it someday and see what falls short first.

This was literally the budget projects of all budget projects - this was "raid the storage unit to actually use stuff to get the wife off my back for having so much audio pieces and parts that I need a storage unit".

7. Back To Top    #37

I have been running a CDT 2" for years. I found that they are MUCH better facing up into the windshield vs. firing across the dash as some stock locations do. At least with aiming into the glass you get direct reflected sound that is much more on axis than firing across. Combined with a solid 6x9, everything matches up very well. I band pass my 6x9 from 100-1200 and the 2" from 1200+ both on 24dB slopes.

8. Back To Top    #38

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I went from a 1" tweeter in the sail panel to a 3" wideband in the back corner of the dashboard.
    Phenomenal difference in a positive way. I love it.

Gear was Morel Hybrid Ovation 6" and 1"
    I swapped the 1" tweeter for a 3" Hybrid Audio L3SE wideband driver.
    Then I swapped the Morel 6" for a Peerless SLS 6"
    Then I didn't change a thing in the past seven years.

Aiming the wideband driver was very important. I would spend lots of time moving around on the dash with some towels or tape or something and trying many positions and many aiming angles. Even with zero tuning it was very easy to find the best location. I do not notice a lack of sparkle in the highest frequencies.

You might not want to use the GB25 though. It might work, but it is not designed or intended as a wideband driver.
    Hey man I got a question. Im working on a 2way active SQL (maybe more leaned to SPL with as much SQ as possible)setup.

So far I have a single Sundown SA-12 at 1200rms clean of an old school Orion HCCA competition amp.

A pair of Stevens MB8s in the bottom of the front doors treated to the max. I believe the MB8s will be considered off-axis

And a pair of SB29RDNC-C000-4 planned to go in the a-pillars on axis.

Also a Dayton 408 and a ppi900.4 to power the front stage.

I've talked to Eric Stevens and he recommends a something like the SB29 which has high sensitivity. He did mention that at high output the tweets should be crossed between 2000-4500, high enough to not blow the tweeters.

I've done a ton a research and have been told the MB8s will begin beaming somewhere around 1500Hz. And it will be better for them to be crossed as low as possible. My goal is to keep all speakers somewhat near their sweet spot, and have high output clearly. This is going to be my first build and I dont have the ear just yet to pursue pristine SQ, as long as it get loud and clear without sounding bad and distorted then everything will be good.

My question is would it be better to use a wideband, on axis, in place of the SB29s? As It seems the proper wideband will help the MB8s be crossed lower and also be able to play high enough to cover all the top end frequencies. Does this sound like a better plan? For simplicity I'd really like to keep the SB29s, run 2way active, and eliminate the need to fabricate a larger spot for a wideband and the need for a 3rd amp, but if the SB29s will not be a good match I dont mind putting in the extra work. Please advise.

I have been looking at the AF GS25 and the Morel CCWR254 2.5".
    I'll be looking for a good used set around $100-150 (~$250 retail)
    Are there any other widebands you would suggest?

9. Back To Top    #39

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    Hey man I got a question. Im working on a 2way active SQL (maybe more leaned to SPL with as much SQ as possible)setup.

So far I have a single Sundown SA-12 at 1200rms clean of an old school Orion HCCA competition amp.

A pair of Stevens MB8s in the bottom of the front doors treated to the max. I believe the MB8s will be considered off-axis

And a pair of SB29RDNC-C000-4 planned to go in the a-pillars on axis.

Also a Dayton 408 and a ppi900.4 to power the front stage.

I've talked to Eric Stevens and he recommends a something like the SB29 which has high sensitivity. He did mention that at high output the tweets should be crossed between 2000-4500, high enough to not blow the tweeters.

I've done a ton a research and have been told the MB8s will begin beaming somewhere around 1500Hz. And it will be better for them to be crossed as low as possible. My goal is to keep all speakers somewhat near their sweet spot, and have high output clearly. This is going to be my first build and I dont have the ear just yet to pursue pristine SQ, as long as it get loud and clear without sounding bad and distorted then everything will be good.

My question is would it be better to use a wideband, on axis, in place of the SB29s? As It seems the proper wideband will help the MB8s be crossed lower and also be able to play high enough to cover all the top end frequencies. Does this sound like a better plan? For simplicity I'd really like to keep the SB29s, run 2way active, and eliminate the need to fabricate a larger spot for a wideband and the need for a 3rd amp, but if the SB29s will not be a good match I dont mind putting in the extra work. Please advise.

I have been looking at the AF GS25 and the Morel CCWR254 2.5".
    I'll be looking for a good used set around $100-150 (~$250 retail)
    Are there any other widebands you would suggest?
    I'm wondering if you could fit a 2" wideband in your existing location? I'm not very familiar with your existing tweeter, but it looks like it's front fascia is 72mm. The 2" wideband that I'm currently using (CDT Unity 8.0) sounds like it might be very similar in size, both in terms of the fascia and the depth. It also has a spec of 150 watts with a 300hz highpass filter (although personally, I'd run it at 500hz and higher to be safe). May be a perfect fit to replace your tweeter with the same mounting location. It even has a freq response spec of 200hz - 33khz! Although, it's not very sensitive....

Here are the published specs:

[code]
    Diaphragm: Aluminum
    Surround: Rubber
    Basket: Die cast
    Magnet: Ring Neodymium
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 84.9 dB
    Frequency response:200Hz-33kHz
    Resonant frequency: 200Hz
    Voice coil: 20.4mm Cooper
    Power: HPF 300Hz 150Watt
    Frame diameter: 2 14/16” (73mm)
    Mounting hole: 2 ¼” (57mm)
    Mounting depth: 1 ¼”(30mm)
    Center to center diameter mounting screw holes: 2*10/16”
    Diameter of *screw holes:3/16”
    Flange thickness:*1/8”
    [/code]

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...ers/unity8.php

Also, another problem is that they are more than you budget at about $300 per set....

Just throwing it out there. It's similar to the Audiofrog GS25, only better (IMO). I have both. I'm not sure how much power the GS25 can handle off-hand - but it certainly isn't as well built as the Unity 8 (it's meant to be heard and not seen whereas the Unity will look great in an a-pillar). I personally love these Unity drivers. I even prefer them over the Illusion Audio C3CX coaxials (I have a set of those that I tried as well).

10. Back To Top    #40

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I'm wondering if you could fit a 2" wideband in your existing location? I'm not very familiar with your existing tweeter, but it looks like it's front fascia is 72mm. The 2" wideband that I'm currently using (CDT Unity 8.0) sounds like it might be very similar in size, both in terms of the fascia and the depth. It also has a spec of 150 watts with a 300hz highpass filter (although personally, I'd run it at 500hz and higher to be safe). May be a perfect fit to replace your tweeter with the same mounting location. It even has a freq response spec of 200hz - 33khz! Although, it's not very sensitive....

Here are the published specs:

[code]
    Diaphragm: Aluminum
    Surround: Rubber
    Basket: Die cast
    Magnet: Ring Neodymium
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 84.9 dB
    Frequency response:200Hz-33kHz
    Resonant frequency: 200Hz
    Voice coil: 20.4mm Cooper
    Power: HPF 300Hz 150Watt
    Frame diameter: 2 14/16” (73mm)
    Mounting hole: 2 ¼” (57mm)
    Mounting depth: 1 ¼”(30mm)
    Center to center diameter mounting screw holes: 2*10/16”
    Diameter of *screw holes:3/16”
    Flange thickness:*1/8”
    [/code]

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...ers/unity8.php

Also, another problem is that they are more than you budget at about $300 per set....

Just throwing it out there. It's similar to the Audiofrog GS25, only better (IMO). I have both. I'm not sure how much power the GS25 can handle off-hand - but it certainly isn't as well built as the Unity 8 (it's meant to be heard and not seen whereas the Unity will look great in an a-pillar). I personally love these Unity drivers. I even prefer them over the Illusion Audio C3CX coaxials (I have a set of those that I tried as well).
    The SB29s aren't installed yet, I'm still debating on whether to even use them. So I'm assuming you think the wideband route is a better option instead of the tweeters?

I'd really need the widebands to have high sensitvity. The MB8s are 101db @2.83v and I've been told the tweets or wideband will really have to be capable of keeping up at high output. Eric said they really would pair best with a HLCD but thats out of my price range.

Thanks for the CDT suggestion I'll keep my eye out for a used set.