Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Anyone install a wideband to replace a tweeter in active 2-way setup?

That’s a whole lot of interesting experimenting there Geolemon and I would like to see a few pictures of that work of art if you have them. When I did some work at BOSE I say they had done a lot of work with line arrays there. Some interesting stuff with some very small speakers. The tactically of that in car audio is well, not so practical but if it can be pulled off and successful results then it would make for the center of talk at a show or meet.

BTW, I will get to those simulations, work is picking up and I had some things come up, but it’s on my mind and I really would like to get these going tomorrow.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #22

I wish I had pics of that guy handy.

I just dug through some old photo books - some fun reminiscing but that one wasn't in there. Just installs before my digital photos, and a whole hard drive of those I lost in a divorce.

I do have a couple phone dump folders on my PC. I'll see what I can dig up. I have a feeling they are with my two house remodels and marriage vacations though.

If I can find some I'll prep you now - it wasn't ugly, but it wasn't really a show install. It was cooler than a winter beater should be, but you'll have to appreciate it for the functionality and geek factor I'm sure phone pics were all I'd grabbed, so maybe they are there.

Or actually I could maybe get pics from my buddy I sold it to. I'll do some digging. In retrospect, it was interesting.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #23

Sweet - sure enough my buddy had them!
    And it's funny, some of the details I forgot over the past 12 or 13 years. Too many installs over too many years - but I didn't expect I'd forget things about the ones I actually managed to do for myself!!

Like - fundamentally I had 3 not 4 per side in the line array, but I was smarter than I thought - I did have the midbasses behind the array, not in front.
    And you can just see the factory A-pillar spot for the tweeters I eventually put in. I believe I hid those Xovers up front behind the scenes, in line with and splitting from the "full range" drivers.

I even forgot I had that EQ in there - that location looks so ugly because the spare was inside and swallowed up half the hatch, so I removed the whole bracket and everything, leaving a little chassis exposed back there.

Like I said - not pretty. Just functional. You can see I just cut a hole in the dirty old headliner to mount that amp rack/ passive network. And the box was just a rectangle, flat so I could still use the hatch. Stiffened up and deadened the hatch plastic from behind though. That was actually not even the original box that was in there (not that the first was any prettier), I did that one just to play with those eights and wasn't even for this truck (my buddy owned Pro Tech) but then I told him I liked them too much and was keeping them...

Last edited by geolemon; 05-09-2020 at 06:20 PM.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

That actuall looks cool. Definetely not the average install we often see and the door speakers look good too.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #25

I think those doors look very cool, geolemon. Have you tried a line array setup like that again since then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by mauian View Post
    I think those doors look very cool, geolemon. Have you tried a line array setup like that again since then?

I haven't - this just happened to be the stars aligning at the right time. Like I said, those door panels were really more like door cards. Super simple to make those pieces and integrate them - and if it hadn't worked out, super simple to make a new piece with a basic component set to replace it.

Modern door panels are a little trickier - although I'd be inclined to try to push them back to the door structure level so the door panel could just be a matter of restructuring it to integrate a factory looking grill...
    There's also the challenge of locating at least one midbass up front and that turns into a lot of real estate.

I'm buying out my lease though, so you never know.

7. Back To Top    #27

Ok, so I installed the Audiofrog GS25 in the corner dash, pointed up at the windshield in the OEM location, and I couldn’t help but get the Peerless SLS 6 after Justin mentioned them in his build. I think this mid bass has been off my radar because I never had a setup that would allow me to use them but, wow. Xmax of 8.2 for $55 each? They are built like little subwoofers.

I was able to do a tune of each of the individual drivers so far (maybe another small tweak here and there to do), but it sounds soooo good.

So like I said before with the GS25, I really enjoy the sound of 250 Hz and up being all above the dash. The imaging is great; I don’t feel the top end is missing anything.

And the mid bass - I’ve never had mid bass like this before. I had the Audiofrog GS690’s in the past and the peerless out do them in my car/setup powered at 120 watts (that’s just my experience though - and the GS690 are GREAT speakers). I must say the Subaru Ascent is built pretty well as I’m not getting a bunch of rattles. At least not yet.

So far, it’s been an awesome experiment and the best my system has sounded. Thanks to all you guys for all the knowledge you pass along.

Now I just need to finish up the tune with matching driver pairs, all speakers at the same time, band passed pink noise, etc.

I am tuning to a curve that is a mix of the half whitledge and Jazzi with a bit more low end boost because I like that

Here’s my tune so far:

8. Back To Top    #28

Ok, so I installed the Audiofrog GS25 in the corner dash.
    ...I don’t feel the top end is missing anything.
    I know Audiofrog has good stuff - it's just funny how that looks like a cheap OEM speaker, has no apparent advantages (fancy cone, phase plug, etc) but clearly must be well engineered.

I'm tuned into these forums in part because it's install time again and I'm looking for stuff I can't get locally.

I'm curious - granted you are firing them up into a windshield that will redirect - but are you noticing them rolling off on the high end? Based on 2.5" diaphragm size, they should start rolling off around 3khz, again that top of dash location may help?

I couldn’t help but get the Peerless SLS 6...
    ...the mid bass - I’ve never had mid bass like this before.
    Do you have a link - is that one Madisound carries? I need four - and preferably ones that may initially play up to 3khz as I might start out as a 2 way front stage. I'd love to check those out.

EDIT: is it these?
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148
    Small world... I may actually own two of those - currently have them in a classic radio conversion I did this year (will add pics).

Here’s my tune so far:
    is that actual measured at listening position, or simulated based on DSP settings out (signal)?

Last edited by geolemon; 05-10-2020 at 06:56 PM.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I just installed some peerless sls 6” too (also thanks to Justin) and am tuning. So far they are great! But to geolemon, I wouldn’t run them much over 500hz.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #30

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I know Audiofrog has good stuff - it's just funny how that looks like a cheap OEM speaker, has no apparent advantages (fancy cone, phase plug, etc) but clearly must be well engineered.

I'm tuned into these forums in part because it's install time again and I'm looking for stuff I can't get locally.

I'm curious - granted you are firing them up into a windshield that will redirect - but are you noticing them rolling off on the high end? Based on 2.5" diaphragm size, they should start rolling off around 3khz, again that top of dash location may help?

Do you have a link - is that one Madisound carries? I need four - and preferably ones that may initially play up to 3khz as I might start out as a 2 way front stage. I'd love to check those out.

EDIT: is it these?
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148
    Small world... I may actually own two of those - currently have them in a classic radio conversion I did this year (will add pics).

is that actual measured at listening position, or simulated based on DSP settings out (signal)?

Yep, those are the ones (the peerless SLS 6), but agree with jdunk. I wouldn’t run them that high.

Yes, the GS25 do not look all that impressive, but they sound great.

That RTA is actual, measured with a umik-1 in REW.

As afar as top end roll off, when tuned I don’t experience one. I do think the location pointed up at the dash helps reflect the beamed higher frequencies quickly so they arrive extremely close to when the direct sound arrives so tuning is not difficult.