Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are my options: dedicated 2 ohm midbass to fill 8" hole

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: What are my options: dedicated 2 ohm midbass to fill 8" hole

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    A couple of questions,

1) How much space is between the speaker and door card? Do you have space to use a spacer to bump it out a little more to increase your mounting depth?
    2) Why are you hung up on the 75w vs 120w? You do realize this is going to be about 1.5-2db difference, it won't be audible. If it it was 150w, that would only be 3db difference, still not really audible.
    See my post below. All my measurements assume a 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" spacer.

I'm hung up on efficiency now and pumping as much power I can into the midbass because I may need to stick with the factory amp for a while until I can raise the cheese (money) for a fancier solution. The factory midbasses are highly efficient 2 ohm drivers. If I want to keep the system balanced I'll need a similar driver that hopefully has a higher excursion.

Right now bass is really holding this system back. It booms at 60hz and sounds muddy and sloppy. It's an obvious target to tackle.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #12

Some good suggestions. I'm replacing the door 8" subs in my z06 and prefer to keep the Bose Head Unit and 2 ohm 100w amplifiers in each door. Comparing the Skar IX-8 wired in parallel to drop to 2 ohms with a sensitivity of 83.2 dB VS the FSX8 at 4 ohms and sensitivity of 94.5 dB. I've read that every 3 dB is twice as loud. So, would it be better to use the IX-8 at 2 ohms with less sensitivity or the 4 ohm speakers at higher sensitivity and half the amp power? What do you guys think? Thank you, Matt

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Welcome Matt! Take a look at the Stevens Audio MB8 2 ohm. I think you would dig them!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by Dueydog View Post
    I've read that every 3 dB is twice as loud.
    No, you have to double power for only a 3db increase

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Roughly 10db is perceived as twice as loud.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Dueydog View Post
    I've read that every 3 dB is twice as loud.
    I know someone already commented on this, but here's the whole db/loudness/power relationship.
    Double the power or double the cone area gets you 3 db.
    Double the voltage quadruples the power, or double the cone area and the power, gets you 6 db.
    Doubling perceived loudness requires about 10 db which is also about 10 times the power.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Welcome Matt! Take a look at the Stevens Audio MB8 2 ohm. I think you would dig them!
    He did in his first post I will throw in the hybrid audio U69s, a 2 ohm 6x9 midbass driver that excels for just what you want, and I will agree with the above, you are fascinated by the 2-3db difference, it takes 10db to sound twice as loud, to put it on perspective, 3db is twice the power, 6db is four times the power, 10db is a massive amount of power to get... once you get into the hundreds of watts you will run out of power handling to get any extra output

9. Back To Top    #19

Have you looked at the Audio Development w800neo? They are a little pricey. But, are one of the best shallow mount on the market. I think Geo had a set in his Porsche for a bit. You could ask him about the results.

-Jay

10. Back To Top    #20

So, would it be better to use a dual voice coil sub wired down to 2 ohms with 83dB sensitivity or the single voice coil midbass at 4 ohm and 94dB? Each sub dedicated Bose amp is supposedly 100w at 2 omhs and crossed over. Thanks for all the great answers so far. I'm researching the subs recommendations.