Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 24" Stealth Build: Stereo Integrity Audi A4 Avant

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Re: 24" Stealth Build: Stereo Integrity Audi A4 Avant

Just watched your video of the build log for the A4, those kick panels are not actually stock at all. From the factory it only came stock with 2 way in the doors, Dave (TheDavel) and I were looking at putting a 3 way into the doors, with the mids going in the factory tweeter location and then putting new sail panels in for the tweeters. But, with the way the door card and sail panel are mounted, as well as there being virtually no room behind the factory tweeter grill, ended up with the kick panels for simplicity sake, I can't remember if I left the little plastic brackets behind the kick panel or not.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    going off topic a little here, but having studied AP setups a bit and used them for door woofers, I've often contemplated where the line is crossed between AP and IB. The first thing I think of is that an IB woofer should be somewhere in the .7 qts range whereas an AP driver is better suited for < .45 based on my research. But one thing that is very difficult about measuring/comparing AP is the relative size of the "port", and the density of the stuffing within. All of this makes it very difficult to model or compare. Say you have a sealed box and drill a tiny hole in it - that is one type of AP. As the hole gets bigger at some point it will just be "IB". The other interesting aspect is that AP reduces your Q peak but the anectdotal way of understanding that is that it does so by suppressing the low end output overall. Yet we know with IB, low end extension is very good as there is no air spring resistance on the driver. All of which leaves me a little confused about what is happening on the "boundary" of AP and IB !!

Anyway sorry for the digression, none of which is applicable here, as I think its clear the OP is building only a water resistant membrane not any kind of resistant port.
    Definitely interesting thoughts, to me anyway. I bought some small AP membranes for use in some bookshelves - there ends my experimenting with AP, and that already puts me in a rarefied crowd.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of how it would be possible to build a water resistant membrane (to the degree that the whole splashy underside of the car is exposed - so I'm sure he wants a real weatherproof seal, at least sealed from a weather standpoint) without being at all air resistant?

I could be wrong - I'm just thinking that by the time it's truly weather resistant, it must behave like an AP membrane. No sacrifice of course - you don't really need airspace for those either.
    And conversely - if you let up on the weatherproofing a bit so that it won't have any air resistance, then it won't really be weatherproof.

So you and I are really on the same page - I'm wondering where on that spectrum this membrane is going to fall also - probably just depends on the execution, which I'm staying tuned for.

I love this install - if you put that mock-up picture in front of most car audio enthusiasts, they'd laugh and say something like "Can you imagine if that were real and not obviously a photoshop job?"

3. Back To Top    #23

Before I tore into the car Nick told me the car had a factory 3" location in the kicks. Didn't make sense to me so I went searching for info.

Found nothing, but I'm not an Audi guy so I went with what I was told.

In that video I went based on what I was told.

I've since pulled the kick panel on the passenger side and found some plastic bits in there. Told Nick that these aren't factory locations.

You guys had him fooled. They looked great. Didn't look out of place.
    Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 05-05-2020 at 10:59 PM.

4. Back To Top    #24

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Definitely interesting thoughts, to me anyway. I bought some small AP membranes for use in some bookshelves - there ends my experimenting with AP, and that already puts me in a rarefied crowd.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of how it would be possible to build a water resistant membrane (to the degree that the whole splashy underside of the car is exposed - so I'm sure he wants a real weatherproof seal, at least sealed from a weather standpoint) without being at all air resistant?

I could be wrong - I'm just thinking that by the time it's truly weather resistant, it must behave like an AP membrane. No sacrifice of course - you don't really need airspace for those either.
    And conversely - if you let up on the weatherproofing a bit so that it won't have any air resistance, then it won't really be weatherproof.

So you and I are really on the same page - I'm wondering where on that spectrum this membrane is going to fall also - probably just depends on the execution, which I'm staying tuned for.

I love this install - if you put that mock-up picture in front of most car audio enthusiasts, they'd laugh and say something like "Can you imagine if that were real and not obviously a photoshop job?"

A lot of people have said that it's fake, I'm not doing it, and so on.

Here's one of the layers for the bottom side.

https://www.moflowvents.com/pre-filt...rophobic-mesh/

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
    Before I tore into the car Nick told me the car had a factory 3" location in the kicks. Didn't make sense to me so I went searching for info.

Found nothing, but I'm not an Audi guy so I went with what I was told.

In that video I went based on what I was told.

I've since pulled the kick panel on the passenger side and found some plastic bits in there. Told Nick that these aren't factory locations.

You guys had him fooled. They looked great. Didn't look out of place.
    I figured maybe Nick had said it was stock, sorry if my post came across as negative, was just mentioning it really. One of the goals was to make it look factory, so I am glad that we managed to achieve that with it. Looking forward to your next updates, some great work going into there, if you need any info on taking any of it apart (doubt you will, as I am sure you have discovered, it is fairly easy to work on), or part numbers etc. let me know.
    Last edited by naiku; 05-06-2020 at 06:47 AM.
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

6. Back To Top    #26

Ive considered cutting out the spare tire well and making an IB enclosure as well. However, having a quiet ride is very important to me. I am very curious if you end up having a much louder cabin due to having a mere 1in or so of baffle between the road and the cabin.

7. Back To Top    #27

Quote Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
    A lot of people have said that it's fake, I'm not doing it, and so on.

Here's one of the layers for the bottom side.

https://www.moflowvents.com/pre-filt...rophobic-mesh/
    That's super interesting stuff... basically that's to wrap an air intake on a motor with, right? So in other words - it's designed to keep water from passing through, even with [basically] a vacuum pulling air through the fabric? Wow!
    So yeah, you'd have to also assume it wouldn't be air-resistant, or else that would knock down the horsepower on whatever engine you wrap the intake on. It's not even expensive. Crazy.

I was thinking more complex - thinking you'd have to do several layers of something like this, maybe some sort of another barrier layer in between or something fairly complex, so eventually you'd introduce at least a little air resistance. These masks that we have to wear to the grocery store now definitely have me thinking about breathing resistance.

I wonder if your barrier could be as simple as a couple half-inch thick plastic rings to go around your cutout, spacing maybe three layers of this stuff a half inch apart... and nothing else? Redundancy basically to mitigate a forceful spray or damage to one layer? I'm sure you've already been giving the barrier more thought than my 30 seconds.

Just an idea for slick (no pun intended) points:
    There's lots of moisture sensors and even cheap boards designed to control water pumps- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Level-Controller-Module-Water-Level-Detection-Sensor-Control-Module-AF/292295463570
    I think it would be slick to out-smart the inevitable future questions about water, quell the disbelievers... to repurpose a sensor and board like that - but rather than run a pump, you could simply use it in-line on the the remote turn-on wire to sub amp.
    If water is detected - the LED light lights on the board (you could remote-locate that LED somewhere cool), and the amp shuts off. So you could tell people of that device and add "it's never gone off yet!"

8. Back To Top    #28

Great job, could you do a video with the sub secured and playing at a descent volume then walk around the car?
    Always wondered how loud it would sound outside the car.

Kelvin

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

I have enjoyed this vehicle for years - one of those timeless vehicles - looks new, fresh - and Ian always had a great sounding system in it.

I love what you are doing! I totally ‘get it’ and I’m so happy you are doing this. I have always wanted to experience Nick’s 24’s - was thinking it would be in an awesome home theater build, but how fantastic is it that it will be in his car! You are going to knock this out of the park Jason! Thanks as well for the memory of that meet in Hickory! Really enjoyed meeting you, and I loved the Chevelle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Back To Top    #30

I was curious what one of these things cost so I went and looked it up and was checking it out. The spec that impressed me the most was it weighs 145 lbs ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Holy Crap !

Oh, and it can take 2000 WRMS. Ha !

A Qts of .39 seems a bit low for IB, but I'm kind of thinking once you get to this point it doesn't really matter.