Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make carpeted panel with a pin stripe

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

How to make carpeted panel with a pin stripe

Hello all. I'd like to make a panel that looks like this to cover the false floor in my next build:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	10594
    The panel will be made of 3/4" MDF. It will be wrapped in black and blue automotive carpets. My question is how to make this pin stripe. I picture cutting a small channel in the MDF length wise between the colors using a router or table saw. I would glue the black carpet down, stuff the carpet edges into the routed groove, then run a knife inside the groove to trim the carpet. I could then lay the blue down (slightly overlapping the black) and do the same thing.

Does this make sense?

Do you have any comments or better ideas?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to make carpeted panel with a pin stripe

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Hello all. I'd like to make a panel that looks like this to cover the false floor in my next build:

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	10594
    The panel will be made of 3/4" MDF. It will be wrapped in black and blue automotive carpets. My question is how to make this pin stripe. I picture cutting a small channel in the MDF length wise between the colors using a router or table saw. I would glue the black carpet down, stuff the carpet edges into the routed groove, then run a knife inside the groove to trim the carpet. I could then lay the blue down (slightly overlapping the black) and do the same thing.

Does this make sense?

Do you have any comments or better ideas?

Ge0
    Or router a channel in the mdf, then use a thin strip of aluminum to wrap with the blue and glue it down into the channel. This would give you a really clean look, imo.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Or router a channel in the mdf, then use a thin strip of aluminum to wrap with the blue and glue it down into the channel. This would give you a really clean look, imo.
    I'm a little slow. Trying to picture what I should do with the aluminum. Do you have an example in mind?

Ge0

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Do you mean something like this?

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	10595
    That would look slick.

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm a little slow. Trying to picture what I should do with the aluminum. Do you have an example in mind?

Ge0
    No worries. So router a channel

Strip of aluminum wrapped in the blue material

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you mean something like this?

That would look slick.

Ge0
    That would be cool too, using an aluminum channel to separate the materials...

#TRUMP2020

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

What do y'all use for color matched interior vinyl and carpet? My "go too" source closed indefinitely due to heavy COVID-19 outbreak in my region. He was not an essential business...

Ge0

8. Back To Top    #8

What do y'all use for color matched interior vinyl and carpet? My "go too" source closed indefinitely due to heavy COVID-19 outbreak in my region. He was not an essential business...

Ge0
    https://www.albrightssupply.com/

9. Back To Top    #9

Albright's is about a mile from my work and they have so many materials.

If somehow you get that thin aluminum piece anodized blue, that would be cool.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

That method would work or depending on the materials you want to use you could simply run the blade of a table saw down both sides of the stripe at about 1/4" deep and tuck the trunk mat and whatever material you are using for the blue in each channel. You could also run a channel around the edge of the piece and have a panel with no seams that show on either side.
    Doug Dobson