Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10???

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10??

Especially if you are concerned about SQ - I have a more budget friendly option that will sound better:
    A single ten.

Two important thoughts that are leading me down this road:
    Because you have to go with a shallow subwoofer, you might end up sacrificing a bit when it comes to excursion - these shallow subs usually have less Xmax than the great linear SQ (or even boom-car) drivers have.
    And don't assume because it's a shallow subwoofer, that it's made for small enclosures! I've found very few that really are.

So here's my concern:
    You fit two into that really tiny space, and the box is too small. That chokes both driver's efficiency down, excursion down, and raises the F3 point way up higher than you want.
    One ten in a box that's more comfortable for it (honestly, that might even be too small for ONE ten) will not only sound better, but that single sub will reach more excursion and possibly even be nearly as loud as the two choked-off tens. Definitely will play lower and sound better. Plus, 500 watts will be plenty of push for one... which leads me to another, maybe even better thought:

I've been playing around with passive radiators recently, which are a pretty interesting in-between of a purist SQ sealed box, and a ported box that hits big dB.
    Because they have inherent moving mass, you will end up with a low tuning frequency - imagine the response of a 25hz vented box.
    Because of that as well, they work really well in small enclosures - almost "the smaller the better", which is the opposite of a vented box where your port just gets bigger and bigger, the smaller you make your box.

The catch with PR's is that you either want to run two of the same size PR as your sub, or you want to run a larger size. It's so you don't bottom out the PR and start making noise before your sub reaches it's limits.

There are some flat panel PR's out there, I just bought two of these Earthquake PRs to experiment with my 12" JBL GTi and maybe even my 12" W7 for fun:
    https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So.../dp/B00K1GV8RM

I'd suggest running a SINGLE low-Qts 10" shallow sub, with one of these 12" PR's where you have that second salad bowl. That low Qts is going to be the most important part here - might be a little tough to find, as lots of these shallow subs have pretty wimpy motors. I'd also still be wanting a reasonable Xmax, but the need for it will be reduced.

That takes away the need for a really high-throw subwoofer to get any kind of SPL out of it.
    It allows you to run a sub with good sound quality, and have it in a low-tuned box that gives you a smooth frequency response.
    And it allows you to run it in a tiny, tiny enclosure.

You might not even need to fiberglass that area there - but you could do that. You don't need to worry about your tuning until after you've got it all installed.

2. Back To Top    #12

Re: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10??

Also - yikes:
    https://acd18d33-4461-49d0-9804-8fc4...358b0adcfe.pdf
    That IDQS-10 has a Qts damn near 1! And the Fs is way up at 50hz! That wouldn't be a good option for my suggestion. And I'm thinking even if sealed, that's not going to even play the bottom 20-40hz octave.

EDIT: I used to be a Kicker dealer, and was pretty impressed with their stuff. That was before these shallow subs, but I'd be checking these out:
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...0aAtP4EALw_wcB (I'm not advocating buying from these guys - just that you can see the specs there)
    I say that because they are rated at 400w RMS - not a bad match for your amp if you aren't clipping it. They also have a 0.45 Qts which would be great for this, and Xmax is still decent on those.

To go through the rest of what's been mentioned here-
    This JL seems actually has that 'weak motor' (bear in mind that's not bad for sealed) and just costs more money: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610T...-10TW3-D4.html

Rockford shallow - only rated at 250w and you'd be giving it 500 (or 380 at 4 ohms).
    Pioneer shallow - also only rated 250w.
    Dayton shallow - also only rated 250w. Of the three, I'd go with that if you are OK with holding your amp back.

Illusion audio - seems discontinued everywhere, with that Neo motor I'd bet that would be a good fit, if a single one fit your budget. Check that spec sheet.

That SB Acoustics 10 shallow sub would be great for PR if it weren't 8 ohms, but in fact it's Qts is so low, I wouldn't do it sealed.

The Sundown might be OK in a sealed application (I didn't model it up), it has a .55 Qts which would put it just outside of ideal for a PR if that idea intrigues you, but should still work fine in it.

Hope the run-through helps.
    Last edited by geolemon; 05-01-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added other subs to comparison

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

I've got a CompRT 10" in my Subuaru Forester, custom built "box" inside the driver's side hatch, using the body as part of the enclosure as I used the stock subwoofer spot (but really sealed it up and braced it! And deadened, of course) with a small 500w amp. It does a really good job and sounds decent, though, if you want those 30hz and lower pounding hits... not gonna happen. Otherwise, great sub, plenty of output.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post

You might not even need to fiberglass that area there - but you could do that. You don't need to worry about your tuning until after you've got it all installed.
    BINGO!!!

I don't intend on fiber-glassing the bottom side. I'm going to see how this works without. There is actually a lot more air space than it appears. There is a second sub-floor under the sub-floor (think of where the amp is mounted) that houses the vehicles battery.

I'm not a bass head for the most part. I do like to get a little rowdy at times (who doesn't). I just want to fill in the low at a nice comfortable sound level and feel a little rumble in my tummy. I don't think I would need to go the PR route. Speaking of which, I haven't used one of those in over 20 years. May be worth dicking with. I've seen a few sources at a reasonable cost.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    SI has stopped making the bm mkv, at least for now.

Can you fit a single 12"? I know going from my previous math, I would have gained about 2db-3db from going from a single 10" to a 12" on the same power.

I had my TW3 on about 550 watts if I went to max volume and it never seemed to struggle.

Also the xmax on the tw3 is quite impressive if you look at how they actually measure it (I was told this by Justin Zazzi).

SO,
    I would try to fit a single 12" on the same power as two 10"s. The output would end up being about the same with less space actually occupied. From your pictures, it seems like you'd have the extra 1" of space on all sides to fit it, maybe with some slight modification needed.
    Unfortunately I'm not going to fit a 12" in there. With mounting baffle the typical OD is approximately 13.5". If I need to add a mounting ring that diameter would go up to at least 14".

I think I'll try a single 10TW3-D4. It should provide greater output than my last solution I was happy with. I don't need to fabricate much. If it does not work it won't be hard to off-load the sub and try something else.

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not going to fit a 12" in there. With mounting baffle the typical OD is approximately 13.5". If I need to add a mounting ring that diameter would go up to at least 14".

I think I'll try a single 10TW3-D4. It should provide greater output than my last solution I was happy with. I don't need to fabricate much. If it does not work it won't be hard to off-load the sub and try something else.

Ge0
    That is what I am running in my wife's car (she got that after I went to the dual SI BM MKV's) and it is more than enough for her suv on the 400w the alpine pdr-v75 amp puts out.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Also - yikes:
    https://acd18d33-4461-49d0-9804-8fc4...358b0adcfe.pdf
    That IDQS-10 has a Qts damn near 1! And the Fs is way up at 50hz! That wouldn't be a good option for my suggestion. And I'm thinking even if sealed, that's not going to even play the bottom 20-40hz octave.

EDIT: I used to be a Kicker dealer, and was pretty impressed with their stuff. That was before these shallow subs, but I'd be checking these out:
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...0aAtP4EALw_wcB (I'm not advocating buying from these guys - just that you can see the specs there)
    I say that because they are rated at 400w RMS - not a bad match for your amp if you aren't clipping it. They also have a 0.45 Qts which would be great for this, and Xmax is still decent on those.

To go through the rest of what's been mentioned here-
    This JL seems actually has that 'weak motor' (bear in mind that's not bad for sealed) and just costs more money: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610T...-10TW3-D4.html

Rockford shallow - only rated at 250w and you'd be giving it 500 (or 380 at 4 ohms).
    Pioneer shallow - also only rated 250w.
    Dayton shallow - also only rated 250w. Of the three, I'd go with that if you are OK with holding your amp back.

Illusion audio - seems discontinued everywhere, with that Neo motor I'd bet that would be a good fit, if a single one fit your budget. Check that spec sheet.

That SB Acoustics 10 shallow sub would be great for PR if it weren't 8 ohms, but in fact it's Qts is so low, I wouldn't do it sealed.

The Sundown might be OK in a sealed application (I didn't model it up), it has a .55 Qts which would put it just outside of ideal for a PR if that idea intrigues you, but should still work fine in it.

Hope the run-through helps.
    I was considering a lot of these subs if I was going to run two of them. That would be 250W each. But, if going for a single driver with 500W that changes the game. By the way, the SB Acoustics sub comes in a 4ohm coil. That's what I was referencing on Madisound. I liked it because of its low QTS and higher than normal sensitivity. It's nearly 3dB greater than other options I've seen.

I ran the Illusion Audio / Critical Mass 12" sub in the past. It was damn impressive. But, the magnet sticks out to high. Also, they tend to be pricey and are hard to get a hold of.

Call me an audio snob but the main stream stuff like Kicker, Rockford, Kenwood, etc. just doesn't do it for me unless it is something extremely special. There is a higher end RF shallow mount in the $500 range that looks sexy. But, at $550 it a bit on the expensive side compared to other offerings.

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    That is what I am running in my wife's car (she got that after I went to the dual SI BM MKV's) and it is more than enough for her suv on the 400w the alpine pdr-v75 amp puts out.
    If you were impressed with it why did you go with dual SI BM MKV's .

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    If you were impressed with it why did you go with dual SI BM MKV's .

Ge0
    I was planning out my box build from MTI acoustics and was going to go with dual 12" TW3's but then got a killer deal on a pair of MKV's and with the rest of my stereo being SI, I had to try these subs. Also with all of their reviews, I couldn't pass it up.

Overall, I think the MKV's are amazing and out do the TW3's by a small margin, but I also think the TW3's are right up there with them. I have always wondered how the Illusion Carbon series would sound, Skizer seems to like them. Maybe in the best iteration I will try some of those.