Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10???

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10???

I'm looking into a shallow mount sub-woofer configuration for my latest build. I've determined that I can probably fit a couple of shallow mount 10" drivers into my cargo area sub floor. They will most likely be powered by a Zapco DC REF 500.1 because I happen to have that laying around. Don't mind the dust, it's been in storage .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200429_192624.jpg 
Views:	1194 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	10554

The amp will neatly fit into the pocket the stock sub enclosure used to sit in. I just need to create a custom bracket to hold it and bolt into the stock locations the factory sub used.

Name:	IMG_20200429_192555.jpg 
Views:	1067 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	10555

Now as far as the subs go. The space they will sit in is kind of irregular. I get anywhere from 5.5" to 7" of clearance:

Name:	IMG_20200414_124948.jpg 
Views:	1129 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	10556

Name:	IMG_20200414_132648.jpg 
Views:	1119 
Size:	336.8 KB 
ID:	10557

Name:	IMG_20200429_134156.jpg 
Views:	1128 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	10560

Since I don't have any 10" drivers on hand I mocked up fit for the subs using a couple of 11" diameter deep dish salad bowls ...

Name:	IMG_20200429_190106.jpg 
Views:	1189 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	10558

Name:	IMG_20200429_190119.jpg 
Views:	1151 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	10559

I need to keep mounting depth to a minimum. Preferably below 4". I could probably do a little deeper using a sub with a small neo motor. I know of a few obvious options like the JL's and better. But, due to COVID-19 and reduced working hours I am somewhat strapped for cash and will be for a while. I noticed the IDQS10 the other night and got curious. I can get these for about $220ea. My search on this site for the IDQS line of shallow mount subs came up empty. So, I thought I would reach out to you in my own dedicated thread.

What are your thoughts? Any experience with these subs? Can you think of other options?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10??

JL TW1 or TW3. I would choose the tw3.
    Illusion audio carbon c10
    Sundown sd3 or sd4 (new model)
    stereo integrity bm mkiv or mkv
    Pioneer shallow
    Rockford Shallow

That is about all that I can think of.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Please help me identify a decdent 10" shallow mount sub. Image Dynamics IDQS10??

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    JL TW1 or TW3. I would choose the tw3.
    Illusion audio carbon c10
    Sundown sd3 or sd4 (new model)
    stereo integrity bm mkiv or mkv
    Pioneer shallow
    Rockford Shallow

That is about all that I can think of.
    1,) The JL's are ok but outside of my specified price point like I already mentioned
    2,) Illusion audio. Forget it. Good quality subs but again are WAY outside my price point
    3.) I have considered the SD4. But Sundown is known as an SPL focused brand. SQ is not their strong point.
    4,) Stereo Integrity makes a compelling driver. But they only make 12" That does not work with my space constraints
    5.) Pioneer what?
    6.) Rockford what?

I appreciate your input. But I am hoping that someone with actual experience with a suitable driver will chime in.

Does anyone have experience with the latest Dayton shallow mount 10" driver? I feel like I am shopping at K-mart with Dayton. But, if they are good let me know.

Ge0

4. Back To Top    #4

Sb acoustics shallow 10”, works in 9-21l, I have mine in 16, a very musical sub, I use it in the middle of my dash in my sq car, and will probably be around $250 perhaps? It’s £210 over here from memory

sundown is definitely worth considering also, it was on a shortlist for me, do not assume it’s an spl sub! The sd3 sounds awesome

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

sundown is definitely worth considering also, it was on a shortlist for me, do not assume it’s an spl sub! The sd3 sounds awesome
    +1. The rest of their subs maybe not but the SD sounds very nice. SD4 might give you a little more mounting flexibility with the neo motor. Should be lighter than the 3 as well.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The jl tw1 is $220, that is your price range you mentioned. The tw3 is $320, but you could go one of these and see if you actually need two.

I ran a single 10” tw3 for a few years and was satisfied with it.

I also used the pioneer ts-swx2502 In my wife’s car and it wasn’t bad for the $80 it costs when I bought it. I was actually impressed.

I am now running stereo integrity mkv’s and they are nice, but I think the jl tw3 was just as musical.

I did A LOT of research on shallow mounts prior to settling on the mkv’s. It came down to these three
    tw3’s, mkv’s, or c12’s

i don’t remember what thread it was, but I believe it was jcsaudio that modeled a bunch of shallow mount subs for me.

If my budget was $440 total which kinda of seems like yours is, I’d go a single tw3 or single illusion c10.
    if you must have two, probably the sd4 or tw1 with your budget.
    But, you need to remember that a second sub on the same exact power is only a 3db gain in output.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Sb acoustics shallow 10”, works in 9-21l, I have mine in 16, a very musical sub, I use it in the middle of my dash in my sq car, and will probably be around $250 perhaps? It’s £210 over here from memory

SB Acoustics SW26DBAC76-4BLK is on my short list too. The problem is it is out of stock at my favorite speaker vendor. Compare it to the Image Dynamics IDQS10. The similarities are uncanny.

I will consider the Sundown SD4 if folks here say they get favorable results using it. It is slightly more expensive than the IDQS10.

Ge0

8. Back To Top    #8

Audiomobile....either the EVO line or the GTS series.

https://soundsgoodstereo.com/product...act-enclosures
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    The jl tw1 is $220, that is your price range you mentioned. The tw3 is $320, but you could go one of these and see if you actually need two.

I ran a single 10” tw3 for a few years and was satisfied with it.

I also used the pioneer ts-swx2502 In my wife’s car and it wasn’t bad for the $80 it costs when I bought it. I was actually impressed.

I am now running stereo integrity mkv’s and they are nice, but I think the jl tw3 was just as musical.

I did A LOT of research on shallow mounts prior to settling on the mkv’s. It came down to these three
    tw3’s, mkv’s, or c12’s

i don’t remember what thread it was, but I believe it was jcsaudio that modeled a bunch of shallow mount subs for me.

If my budget was $440 total which kinda of seems like yours is, I’d go a single tw3 or single illusion c10.
    if you must have two, probably the sd4 or tw1 with your budget.
    But, you need to remember that a second sub on the same exact power is only a 3db gain in output.
    I knew someone would try to talk some sense into me . I ran a single 10" 4 ohm JL Audio Stealth box in my last vehicle using the DC REF 500.1 to drive it at 350W and was perfectly satisfied with the Bass output. Then why go with 2 10" drivers? Mostly because I think I could fit them. It wouldn't be equivalent to what I had before. I had a single 10 driven by 350W. This configuration would be two 10's driven at 250W each.

I was thinking that driving two subs at lower power may help keep distortion down since I would not be driving the piss out of them. However, I'm starting to second guess my need for 2 drivers. I could do a single 2 ohm 10 and get the full 500W out of the amp. As long as the speaker can handle that power without seriously distorting. The TW3 seems to be able to handle the power and still has a decent x-max. But, I rarely listen to music that loud anymore so this may be a moot point.

Now I'm in a conundrum. I want to recess mount the sub by bolting it into its cutout from the top side of it's mounting flange. A lot of drivers like the TW3 have a curved top flange surface and are meant to be mounted from the bottom of the flange. I can't use the Illusion Audio / Critical Mass type of shallow mount driver since the magnet would be poking up too high.

Stereo Integrity's web site appears to be way out of date.
    1.) They don't offer a 10" driver
    2.) It appears they discontinued their MKV sub.

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

SI has stopped making the bm mkv, at least for now.

Can you fit a single 12"? I know going from my previous math, I would have gained about 2db-3db from going from a single 10" to a 12" on the same power.

I had my TW3 on about 550 watts if I went to max volume and it never seemed to struggle.

Also the xmax on the tw3 is quite impressive if you look at how they actually measure it (I was told this by Justin Zazzi).

SO,
    I would try to fit a single 12" on the same power as two 10"s. The output would end up being about the same with less space actually occupied. From your pictures, it seems like you'd have the extra 1" of space on all sides to fit it, maybe with some slight modification needed.