Thread: 2018 Ford F150 Build

1. Back To Top    #1

2018 Ford F150 Build

Since this is my first post, I thought I would share my system that I've thrown together over the last year or two.

Vehicle - 2018 F150 XLT Sync 3 (basic oem system w/o amplifier)
    Amp/DSP - Audison Forza AP8.9 Bit and Audiocontrol LC-1.800
    Speakers - Full active 3 way front stage - Helix P 1T tweeters, Focal Flax 3" mids (in custom a-pillars I fabbed myself), Focal K2 6.5" woofers in the front doors and Helix E 6X.2 coaxs in rear doors
    Subwoofer - Single 12" Focal K2 Power E 30KX in a custom fabbed enclosure (again made myself)
    Wiring - 2/0 welding cable for power and ground, Connection 4 and 8 gauge power wire running from Knukonceptz Konfused distro block to amps, Knukonceptz Ultimate battery terminals, Knukoncepts Krystal Kable RCAs, 4-conducter speedwire
    Sound deadening - Hushmat applied to inner and outer door skins and rear wall (more to come this summer)

I am in the process of learning the not so simple ways of "tuning". I have read the Audiofrog writeup multiple times and have put their info to good use. The next step will be purchasing a mic and using REW to do the final adjustments.

Looking forward to learning more and perhaps giving some pointers here on CAJ.
    Last edited by Darkimag22; 04-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: 2018 Ford F150 Build

Very nice. Curious what you think of the Knukonceptz battery terminals? I've been eyeballing them for a while. You were able to get 2/0 into them?

3. Back To Top    #3

I had to drill both out a little to fit the 2/0. I could have trimmed down the cable but I had already purchased 2/0 ferrules. They are a little tricky to get tight enough on the battery posts especially if you are running a group 48 or 94 battery as the posts are not flush with the top of the battery. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf00278d-193d-4e2a-bb43-c3f42289babd.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	10495
    On that note, however, I highly recommend NorthStar AGM batteries over the stock Ford AGM.

4. Back To Top    #4

Little Covid-19 work. Soundshield installed on the rear floor up to the front seats. Rewired everything and hid so no wiring will be visible once the seats are back in. Have one more roll of sound treatment to install on the rear wall...just don't know what I am going to do with the rear vents yet. I would like to partially cover them but I'll see what I come up with.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I wouldn't worry about the vents. I'd leave them open, they're designed that size for a good reason and behind the seats and the carpet, you won't hear them. Mine are fully uncovered and most of my carpet is removed, I played with covering them up with some MLV for a short time and I couldn't tell when they were covered vs. uncovered, especially with any volume of music playing.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Yah I just left them alone. Like you said once the rear wall padding is back installed you don't notice them at all.

Going to hopefully begin a new front stage build with a pair of Hertz Mille ML500R planar mids. Auditioned them for a few minutes in my truck and was absolutely blown away.

Won't let me upload a pic of then. Oh well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Figuring a way to mold them into the a-pillars could be interesting to say the least.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Alfa Romeo GT

usualy in European SQ cars those mid/high drivers were installed on top of the dash where it meet with windshield - firing at windshield in horizontal placement. All who run those used additional tweeters / supertweeters
    FOR FAST MOVING CONCERTS
    Team LBaudio
    Team BRAX
    Team SCB
    Team Car Audio Lab
    EMMA SLO head

9. Back To Top    #9

There is not much out there on the interweb about these. A few builds I have found have them moulded into the a-pillars vertically pretty much firing on axis to the driver and the others are as you said on the dash firing upwards. I'll have to play with the positioning and find what sounds best.

10. Back To Top    #10

Decided the Hertz Milles just were not going to work for me. Instead I may upgrade to K2 mids but in the mean time I finished up the sails and pillars. Have to do all the finish work but I hate body work so for now this will do. Also finished up the passenger side running speaker wire into the door for the tweeters as well as more sound deadening installed on the backside of the door panel itself.