Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blockrocker's Never Ending Build Log

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Blockrocker's Never Ending Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    I have personally sat in Blockrocker's vehicle, and experienced this setup...

I would say that; "if you have diarrhea... DO NOT let him turn-up the volume".
    I was solid, and almost crapped myself from the SPL. Not kidding.

Sound quality is great too! Very well done installation.
    Haha! Thanks so much Jim, that's a hell of a compliment. I'm also glad I didn't let the demo go on any longer.
    Lots of work to do on the SQ side of things still but its a fun process. Not to mention, sitting in your vehicle, I realized I needed to up my game.
    You're a good man, JimmyDee!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I thought I would share a few of the ongoing updates in the truck. I finally completed my GB set with the 60s this summer and they are great. However, despite heavy door treatments I just couldn't satisfy myself enough to leave them alone. The flimsy nature of the truck interior created too much buzzing and rattling, so I stopped chasing and started thinking of a new way. Sealed door pods are what I settled on - at least for now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	14220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 3.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	14221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 4.jpg 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	14222

Still a work in progress, as I need to find some extra door cards to cut up and complete the top half. Or possibly try to build one myself......we'll see. I ended up stacking plywood to build the corners, as my first attempt with curfing the corners, didn't allow me to shape the wood much, since I would burn through the ply. Plus I was concerned about long term durability. These have worked out great so far and have allowed me to dial in a better tune by eliminating the resonances in the door panel. They fit like a glove barely being 1.5 inches thicker then the original door card. They are 0.3 cubes each and I managed to install them without needing to drill any extra holes into the steel. 3 factory bolts keep it absolutely still but it can be removed in only a few minutes.

I may end up redoing these boxes for esthetic purposes but so far they have been working well. It has also proven to me how well built and designed the gb60s are. Although I get a more consistent response and much less door vibrations, its not so much, that the speaker changed characteristics. In another car or with an EXTREME amount of professional door treatment in mine, I am convinced that this speaker really does thrive in most environments. Combine that with my slow and steady progress with a tuning mic and ear, the system is sounding better then it ever has.

3. Back To Top    #13

It's fun watching/hearing each other's systems evolve. I'm really impressed with how you mounted them using the existing factory hardware.

Also, you reminded me that my own build log is waaaay out of date. I need to get off my ass and update it one of these days...
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

The doors are very nearly done. Just a little cosmetic trim to complete and fill the tiny gap between the box and door card. They sound absolutely fantastic and I'm very pleased how they turned out. Especially considering it was my first full door build. I absolutely love this hobby!! Time to turn my focus back to the a-pillars.

Name:	door pods 7.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	14418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 8.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	14419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 9.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	14420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 10.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	14421
    Heated the panels up with the heat gun and cut them with a sharp utility knife. This worked FANTASTICALLY well. It literally cut like clay and you could put a fair amount of heat to the panels with no visible changes/melting.

Name:	door pods 11.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	14422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 12.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	14423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 13.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	14424
    Wrapped the boxes in carpet after going back and forth on finishes. I'm digging the decrease in plastic in the interior. Lol. Some nice hardware and gasket foam keeps everything air tight and looking like it belongs.

Name:	door pods 14.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	14425 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 16.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	14426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 15.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	14427
    Safe and sound in there new home. They sound fantastic and blend in nicely. Absolutely worth the effort!!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

The doors are complete!! A little chrome goes a long ways. Plus a little foam pipping wrapped in carpet ensure a clean, aesthetically pleasing finish. At least to my standards.

Name:	door pods 20.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	14433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 17.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	14434 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 18.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	14435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 19.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	14436

Thanks for checking it out. More to come.....

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

block, you're a guy after my own heart man....I love the doors and your thinking behind them. I'm looking to your setup for inspiration lol. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    The doors are complete!! A little chrome goes a long ways. Plus a little foam pipping wrapped in carpet ensure a clean, aesthetically pleasing finish. At least to my standards.

Name:	door pods 20.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	14433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 17.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	14434 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 18.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	14435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door pods 19.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	14436

Thanks for checking it out. More to come.....
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    block, you're a guy after my own heart man....I love the doors and your thinking behind them. I'm looking to your setup for inspiration lol. Great work.
    Wow, thank you so much! I've learned a shit tonne from this place and some local buddies. Definitely lots of room to grow but I'm slowly getting the hang of the fabrication thing. Mainly, I just like fucking around in the truck.

I really appreciate the kind words.

8. Back To Top    #18

I *LOVE* this kind of install.
    I've spent - oh - damn, 30 years now - encouraging simple stereo-plus-sub setups like this for SQ, and backing that up with my own personal installs.

I love the use of door enclosures to ensure you get bass from bass drivers, and in an SUV (especially THAT one) that blocky look totally fits, and carpet is even good for everyday life. One of my criticisms of SQ competition is that you'd be dinged for that - basically would be dinged for being a simply good driveway installer who did his best to ensure 100% of the sound needs were met.

And those A-pillar enclosures look like a great approach, I really wish I could hear that. They seem more on-axis than I would have expected for steering the image center, but with the complex acoustics of car interiors sometimes things just work out that way. They seem like they have ample space, and have a similarly clean, practical look. That placement probably even keeps them from creating blind spots out the windshield, right?

Even with my current install heading in a much more complicated direction - it's still fundamentally a "stereo plus sub" setup... and I also totally relate to "never ending install". It's fun when you are experimenting, and most fun when you DO do your install in a way that facilitates future flexibility, future changes, future experimenting, without locking yourself in too deeply anywhere. Love it.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Thank you so much Geolemon. I've always liked the "most out of a little" approach to gear and installs. Eventually, I would like to do a fully balls out install and try my hand at high end SQ and the competition scene. For now though, this truck is an awesome canvas to experiment and improve my fabrication skills.

The dash pods are my next project as I want to improve the aesthetics and probably put them into the a-pillars. They are a good size, incredibly solid, and decently aimed for now, but they are on the radar. They don't interfere with my sightlines at all, but I'm not a big fan of dash install, so improvements are on the way. I've never been a super flashy guy but I absolutely love custom installs and above and beyond approaches. So I try to blend my personal tastes with the existing style of the vehicle. I'm not sure alcantara and custom fiberglass really go well with a Frontier interior. Lol.

Ultimately, I'm in no hurry to "finish" anything, as I enjoy the slow and steady improvements in my abilities, gear and style. As I've been wondering into uncharted territory for my personal skills, it has been pretty rewarding to battle through the different issues and slowly wrap my head around all the nuances of a good system. This place has been a gold mine for information and helpful folks. I've even met some great locals from this site and have had a few makeshift SQ show-n-shines. With a little luck, by the time I'm into my next vehicle (many years from now hopefully) I will have the skills to blow a few socks off.

Thank you for the kind words and the positive reinforcement. It means a lot to me and definitely keeps me motivated to continue the "never ending" journey.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

"So I see", said the blind man.

Out: (1) 15" Fi BTL-3 subwoofer and (1) Crescendo s1+ amplifier.
    In: (2) 12" Adire Tumult subwoofers and (2) Rockford Fosgate P1000X1bd amplifiers.

Name:	tum box 1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	15786 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tum box 2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	15787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tum box 3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	15788 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tum box 5.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	15789

Switched to sealed enclosures too. Each one is in a 0.65 cubic foot box with a QTC of 0.50. CRITICALLY damped. Pretty much the polar opposite of my previous setup. Lol. The amplifiers put out about the same power as my crescendo, with each sub seeing 1300-1400 watts, according to the amp birth sheets. Of course, they don't see nearly that much in the sealed box, but the clarity and easy of the bass is incredible. I also had to remake the amp tray, but I kept it simple.

Name:	tum box 7.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	15790 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210519_205516.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	15791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210519_114501.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	15792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tummy 3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	15793

I have now had these subs a few weeks and they have been gradually broken in and "tuned". These subwoofers are so incredible, I really don't know how to describe them. After the first few days, I finally grabbed the mic and tuned everything up. I have literally needed ZERO bands of EQ on either sub, with a simple crossover at 75hz. With the box so inert, the subwoofers simply play with a wonderful natural roll-off and stay +/- 2.5 db from 26Hz to 60Hz.

Name:	20210524_163637.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	15794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210524_163405.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	15795

I know the graphs are not the end all be all, but this is the subwoofers at 1/48 smooth with a 75Hz xover. NO EQ!! Also, the sum of the whole at 1/3 smooth. Really nice response throughout and I am really thrilled with the results so far. Still lots to learn, since I'm so used to vented enclosures and extreme SPL, but this has gotten me the closest yet to having my cake and eating it to. At the very least, I now have a great base and solid tune in which to hone the rest in.

Thanks for checking it out!!