Thread: New OG

1. Back To Top    #1

New OG

I thought I was already on all the forums but just randomly saw a link here, so I thought I'd register. Check things out.
    I saw a link from the worst place humanly possible... a Facebook car audio group that is usually more painful than enjoyable to follow. But it is what it is.

To some degree, it's just the state of the car audio industry. Through the '00's and early '10's I watched the decline, attending 10 CES's and 3 SEMAs... each being notably lesser than the prior year. I was attending either as an engineering rep for small car audio enthusiast brands, or as buyer and manager for a large local shop in my area (for three years I was actually recruited out of my IT career - the owner was willing to pay me the same salary - but IT has more recruiters and bigger pocketbooks, what can I say). That was actually a great opportunity for upping my own game, though - during that time, we brought in Bryan Schmitt (Mobile Solutions) to train our whole fabrication crew (including myself) and we pulled in legend IASCA SQ champion Scott Buwalda (Hybrid Audio) to do a SQ seminar. Awesome experiences.

I don't want to sound negative on the state of affairs today - I love passionate enthusiasts, and there's still some out there. It's just that I used to be a moderator on several mobile audio forums in the '00's back when I was more professionally involved... now some of those don't even exist (anyone here from CarAudioForum.com?) I got into loudspeaker engineering and eventually programming SMT machines for aerospace contract manufacturing... and then back into my core IT career as a more stable, higher paying field. But I still occasionally keep getting pulled back. I'm first and foremost an enthusiast, the thing that 27 years ago originally led me into electrical engineering before the IT degree. I would love to see a resurgence of the technical discussions that used to be so valuable to me - eventually fun seeing light bulbs go off over other members heads too "Oh - now that makes sense! I get it!" I love that stuff.

At any rate, I enjoy a good deep-dive into understanding things - and that seems to be few and far between these days. But I'm looking forward to eventually finding those passionate, open-minded enthusiasts (of all knowledge and experience levels) again - hopefully this is the place!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: New OG

Glad to have you on board!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

4. Back To Top    #4

I remember you from CAF. 2002 if not earlier. I don’t remember my member name there, but I was “semi” in the chat room. I remember the long long hours spent in that chat room as a university student, talking audio. I owe the small pile of local SQ trophies and medals to our conversations and your website, among other folks there and ECA. I believe you documented a civic? With a ported trio of 10’s with the port brought up behind the quarter panel? Am I misremembering?

I did not expect to see your name around again. I need to do some email mining for nostalgia’s sake.

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome, I do for sure remember lots of chats and CAF posts with you - and you have a great memory. I actually still have that Civic, although I've pulled out that old system, and actually am planning on selling it one of these years for another fun project... might Tesla-fy a classic VW bug and see if we can throw the kitchen sink at a fully fabricated interior. That's the dream, anyway.
    I've actually been a little more active just recently since I'm buying out the lease on my 2017 Civic, and planning on raiding the storage unit collection as well as trying out some new ideas... But this Covid thing has actually gotten in the way of that. Haven't finalized anything with the dealerships all closed - so, still planning and coming up with new ideas and implementation plans.

I haven't done much posting around here yet, but stick around - sort of feels a little like CAF, IMO. The right balance between knowledge and enthusiasm without any elitist vibe, not that I've really been around the block here too many times yet. Also been more of a reader on DIYMobileAudio these days - it's really my other reference these days, but things get answered pretty quickly and thoroughly over there, just seems more of a definitive and less of an experminentive place, but maybe that's just my take.

And right back at you - welcome! So awesome seeing old names around. Didn't you also use Whiterabbit over there? I feel like I remember both names, bur my memory is horrible.

6. Back To Top    #6

Must have been. Its an old old handle that fits me well.

I remember that civic because it was my inspiration to try quite a few oddball subwoofer installation concepts. I saw for the first time an enclosure doesnt have to be a rectangular box with PVC or integrated slot port.

7. Back To Top    #7

I love that!

And if there's one thing I'm glad to be remembered for it's trying oddball stuff.
    There will be more of that.