Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't laugh. 2016 Porsche Macan BOSE sub-woofer amp

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Don't laugh. 2016 Porsche Macan BOSE sub-woofer amp

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
    dunno about quality, the bose system sucks IMO

I don't believe Bose sound quality limitations are due to inferior hardware. I believe their sound quality issues are more a function off pure crap drivers and less than stellar tuning. Check this out:

Attachment 10185
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linear off.png 
Views:	989 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	10188

This is an average of 10 measurements using a binaural mic and filtered to 1/3rd octave. Bass and treble controls were set to 0. The result is booming bass and a significant suck-out at 1KHz. They have a decent DSP built into their amps. Don't you think they could have tamed the bass down a bit and addressed the dip at 1KHz?

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 04-17-2020 at 10:50 PM.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I don't believe Bose sound quality limitations are due to inferior hardware. I believe their sound quality issues are more a function off pure crap drivers and less than stellar tuning. Check this out:
    Attachment 10185

This is an average of 10 measurements using a binaural mic and filtered to 1/3rd octave. Bass and treble controls were set to 0. The result is booming bass and a significant suck-out at 1KHz. They have a decent DSP built into their amps. Don't you think they could have tamed the bass down a bit and addressed the dip at 1KHz?

Ge0
    Ive worked at the BOSE research and development center in Framingham MA. I saw some amazing things there but I also saw how they use regular cheap full range drivers and EQ the crap out of them to achieve something you wouldn’t normally be able to achieve. Slogan, “better sound through research” is for real there. Some of the engineers working there were real spoiled snobs too and some where pretty decent.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #13

While I agree that your factory system shouldn't fail you so quickly, I also understand the desire to upgrade.

You need to get a signal out of your factory infotainment system. A DSP is the device you need. If you want to do speakers and subs, you'll want at least 6 channels, but more likely 8 or 10 (so you can replace all factory speakers) check out the Helix by Audiotec Fischer. Then amplifiers, you can go nice and small with some JL HD or XD you'll want 8 channels (probably) for speakers, plus a sub amp, two HD 600/4 and a HD 750/1 or an XD 800/8 and an XD 600/1. Pick some speakers, JL makes great speakers, active 3 way components for the fronts and passive components for the rears, I'd suggest C5 range. Hertz and Focal are also highly regarded brands. Now, you want a good sub that doesnt need a ton of space, go for a JL 13TW5 in a custom enclosure. A good shop could build something that blends in completely.

Say you go for the lower range (XD) amps, the C5 speakers, 13TW5 sub, and the Helix DSP.

XD600/1 - $500
    XD800/8 - $830
    C5-653 - $930
    C5-650 - $570
    13TW5 - $680
    Helix DSP - $1200

You could go with passive fronts, and you don't need 3 way fronts (although you have 3 way fronts stock), that would cut down on some cost and allow you to use a cheaper DSP maybe save $750 on equipment. You could run lower range speakers, again save $500. But, if you start chipping away too much, I'd be concerned that you aren't getting a big enough upgrade from stock to make it worth while.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by viewcart View Post
    While I agree that your factory system shouldn't fail you so quickly, I also understand the desire to upgrade.

You need to get a signal out of your factory infotainment system. A DSP is the device you need. If you want to do speakers and subs, you'll want at least 6 channels, but more likely 8 or 10 (so you can replace all factory speakers) check out the Helix by Audiotec Fischer. Then amplifiers, you can go nice and small with some JL HD or XD you'll want 8 channels (probably) for speakers, plus a sub amp, two HD 600/4 and a HD 750/1 or an XD 800/8 and an XD 600/1. Pick some speakers, JL makes great speakers, active 3 way components for the fronts and passive components for the rears, I'd suggest C5 range. Hertz and Focal are also highly regarded brands. Now, you want a good sub that doesnt need a ton of space, go for a JL 13TW5 in a custom enclosure. A good shop could build something that blends in completely.

Say you go for the lower range (XD) amps, the C5 speakers, 13TW5 sub, and the Helix DSP.

XD600/1 - $500
    XD800/8 - $830
    C5-653 - $930
    C5-650 - $570
    13TW5 - $680
    Helix DSP - $1200

You could go with passive fronts, and you don't need 3 way fronts (although you have 3 way fronts stock), that would cut down on some cost and allow you to use a cheaper DSP maybe save $750 on equipment. You could run lower range speakers, again save $500. But, if you start chipping away too much, I'd be concerned that you aren't getting a big enough upgrade from stock to make it worth while.
    Have you seen my build log here by any chance ?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Have you seen my build log here by any chance ?

Ge0
    I was waiting for that LOL... but he is new to this site, joined this month. You were very nice in your response

6. Back To Top    #16

Thanks Geo for the nice write-up!
    Hoping that you can help me facilitate the installation of this Bose subwoofer/amp. assy into my 2015 Macan S which came without a subwoofer.
    I bought this Bose assy used and it arrived with a hacked up wiring harness ( looks like someone ran a different amp to power the sub).
    As a result I have flying leads from the original 12 pin connector ( 7 used, 5 unused).
    Do you have a pinout for the connector ? I can't see where they integrate to the car or the other amp located in left rear fender ( which you analyzed in another post).
    Also , Porsche NA has not been able to source this harness as a stand-alone part ( UPC looks like 75022172808).
    Please help!
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Unfortunately, Ge0 passed away a couple of months ago

8. Back To Top    #18

I am so very sorry to hear that- I am learning that he was a great contributor here.
    I'm sure he will be missed as a good person and good forum member.
    Again, very sorry .
    Steve

9. Back To Top    #19

Super cool stuff. I'm curious how that little Bose sub actually sounded. The whole package is tiny, not just the amp!

You are making me regret buying my compact DLS amp trio for my 8 channels plus sub - I was leaning HARD towards an RF Power T1000x5ad 5 channel and T400x4 4 channel, which were each not much bigger than that Bose amp there - and supposedly far exceed specs in SQ and even power. Crazy. And I think, cool.

(EDIT - just scrolled up and saw the comment that Geo passed away? That's shocking, tragic. Sad to hear - that's actually true? So sad.)

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    .... (EDIT - just scrolled up and saw the comment that Geo passed away? That's shocking, tragic. Sad to hear - that's actually true? So sad.)
    https://www.sullivanfuneraldirectors...George-Marutz/
    "That's all, folks!"