Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

1. Back To Top    #451
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Lookin' good. Just needs a bit of wire cleanup.

Since you opened up so muhc more space now, you gonna go bigger on the equipment choice? time to fit in that 18" subwoofer?

(since the floor is higher now, I bet you could invert the spare tire and glass in there too and take advantage of that space too!)
    Damn you. I thought I had a plan. Now you're making me think TW5....

I may be able to fit a 12" in my existing box location though. Hmmm...

Shit...

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #452
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Lookin' good. Just needs a bit of wire cleanup.

Since you opened up so muhc more space now, you gonna go bigger on the equipment choice? time to fit in that 18" subwoofer?

(since the floor is higher now, I bet you could invert the spare tire and glass in there too and take advantage of that space too!)
    Oh, did you catch my comment about running up to Auto Zone to buy fiberglass supplies? I thought that might catch your attention

Placed an order with US Composites last Friday. I'm going to try a layup similar to yours.

Ge0

3. Back To Top    #453

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Damn you. I thought I had a plan. Now you're making me think TW5....

Shit...

Ge0
    I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Oh, did you catch my comment about running up to Auto Zone to buy fiberglass supplies? I thought that might catch your attention

Placed an order with US Composites last Friday. I'm going to try a layup similar to yours.

Ge0
    Actually, I missed it, but it's seriously NBD. No need to be a materials snob, it's all about what thickness of material you need and layup method employed to get the stiffness you want from your panel. Fancy carbons or whatevers we use just get us there thinner with less resin. Autozone stuff works too. It's probably the same glass anyways, just a question of whether the resin can be fully impregnated into the fibers with a minimum of bubbles, and off we go.

fair warning, my layup had very high standards for conformality, but low requirements for compound cornering. Your plan looks very aggressive to me, with the compound corners very tight. If your standards for conformality are as tight as mine, you'll spend way more time setting up the layup than you will actually glassing it. But you probably already are mentally preparing for that. It's a doozy of a plan

It is, BTW, exactly why my box is made up primarily of stacked rings. It lowers the difficulty to achieve aesthetically pleasing results. I'd recommend you look into using stacked rings or MDF/BB ply panels wherever possible to make your finishing job easier.

I think a glass box wrapped front and back with trunk carpet the same color as the existing well would look rather handsome under the floor.

4. Back To Top    #454
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Actually, I missed it, but it's seriously NBD. No need to be a materials snob, it's all about what thickness of material you need and layup method employed to get the stiffness you want from your panel. Fancy carbons or whatevers we use just get us there thinner with less resin. Autozone stuff works too. It's probably the same glass anyways, just a question of whether the resin can be fully impregnated into the fibers with a minimum of bubbles, and off we go.

fair warning, my layup had very high standards for conformality, but low requirements for compound cornering. Your plan looks very aggressive to me, with the compound corners very tight. If your standards for conformality are as tight as mine, you'll spend way more time setting up the layup than you will actually glassing it. But you probably already are mentally preparing for that. It's a doozy of a plan

It is, BTW, exactly why my box is made up primarily of stacked rings. It lowers the difficulty to achieve aesthetically pleasing results. I'd recommend you look into using stacked rings or MDF/BB ply panels wherever possible to make your finishing job easier.

I think a glass box wrapped front and back with trunk carpet the same color as the existing well would look rather handsome under the floor.
    I have an idea how I am going to do this but need to take pictures to describe. I'll be back in a few days once I get my supplies.

I picture the top will be carpeted and the bottom lined with CCF.

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #455

I absolutely lined the bottom of mine with CCF so it would compress down nicely when I tightened the mounting bolts, preventing rattle and providing a secure hold. Good call.

At the end of the day, if you are able to support the layup to get the panel shape you want without needing to use body filler and not resulting in air bubbles or excess resin in the layup, you're there and nailed it. Looking forward to seeing it.

6. Back To Top    #456
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I realize one of my inside corners is very tight (where the tire curvature stops at a point). I plan to round this off to make it easier to deal with. I can do so without sacrificing too much internal volume.

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #457

Just checking. You plan to remove the box if you need to get the tire out? Might be a bit tricky with it in place I guess?

8. Back To Top    #458
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by GubbNicke View Post
    Just checking. You plan to remove the box if you need to get the tire out? Might be a bit tricky with it in place I guess?
    Yes. That is the plan. I'm even going to install a handle on it so it's easier to pull out.

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #459
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

OK. Where did I leave off? Oh yeah. Shrinking my amp board and remounting it.

I have a little empty space left now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200824_200214.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	13695

Mark the cut line at the edge of the amp

Name:	IMG_20200829_160707.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	13694

Pull off the mounting hardware so I can make the cut

Name:	IMG_20200829_161631.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	13693

There ya go

Name:	IMG_20200829_172346.jpg 
Views:	936 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	13697

The amp was still wired into the car. Just need to screw it to the board.

Name:	IMG_20200829_172509.jpg 
Views:	883 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	13696

Done...

Name:	IMG_20200830_160142.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	13698

The amp now sits below the battery cavity line. Now on to making my enclosure...

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #460
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

So, I have this cardboard mock-up of what size sub enclosure will fit in my car. But, what do I do with it? I can't fiberglass over it. It would be too weak and floppy. Hmmm... I have an idea...

Name:	IMG_20200830_155904.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	13700

A thick MDF baffle

Name:	IMG_20200830_174357.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	13699

What is he doing with this???

Name:	IMG_20200830_174559.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	13701

A perfect day. Cold beer and fresh Baltic Birch

Name:	IMG_20200830_175520.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	13704

Whats this shenanigans?

Name:	IMG_20200830_182350.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	13702

Name:	IMG_20200904_175656.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	13703

Name:	IMG_20200830_190013.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	13705

Building a box inside a box???

Name:	IMG_20200904_175254.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	13706

Started raining and got dark. Move operations inside.

Name:	IMG_20200905_212520.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	13708

Phase 1 complete.

Name:	IMG_20200905_234335.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	13707

To be continued...