Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

1. Back To Top    #421

Re: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

I wanna see that exact plot with polarity flipped on the midrange.

2. Back To Top    #422
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

So, I had some time on my hands and some spare cardboard tonight:

My false sub floor baffle works. But, I am not 100% thrilled with this solution. it's a pain to gain access to the spare and battery.

Even with the amp in the way I think the sub will fit in an enclosure under the floor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200806_162255.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	13145

Squeeze the sub in there. I can always remove the rubber gasket to reduce mounting diameter by 1/4":

Name:	IMG_20200806_163904.jpg 
Views:	1434 
Size:	365.3 KB 
ID:	13144

Starting to mock up a cardboard enclosure. I can go further left to add volume if needed. However, I wanted to reserve space for easy access to a set of jumper cables. In a pinch, I could stuff jumper cables inside the spare tire. There is a lot of dead space in there. But a pain to access.

Name:	IMG_20200806_190952.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	13143

Sub barely fits. Again, removing the thick rubber gasket will reduce overall diameter by 1/4":

Name:	IMG_20200806_194049.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	13148

Pull out the cardboard mold to trim it up.

Name:	IMG_20200806_194422.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	13147

Name:	IMG_20200806_202947.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	13150

Name:	IMG_20200806_205148.jpg 
Views:	824 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	13149

Now, how to measure internal volume with a 3/4" top baffle installed?

Ge0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200806_202940.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	13146  
    Last edited by Ge0; 08-06-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #423
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I wanna see that exact plot with polarity flipped on the midrange.
    I can tell you exactly what happens. Smaller suck out at 300Hz lower x-over frequency and large suck out at 3KHz upper x-over frequency. Tried it. Settled on what I have.

Why do you ask?

Ge0

4. Back To Top    #424

it's the sign of a well setup transition between drivers, right? the show-off, that you nailed it, to show the suckout at the x-over frequency. The AES project victory lap

that box is going to be a right fine challenge you set for yourself. Very tough. Very doable, but very tough.

5. Back To Top    #425
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

it's the sign of a well setup transition between drivers, right? the show-off, that you nailed it, to show the suckout at the x-over frequency. The AES project victory lap

that box is going to be a right fine challenge you set for yourself. Very tough. Very doable, but very tough.
    I needed to mess with cross-over points between drivers and phase a little bit. But, nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely no need for a victory lap.

As far as the sub box goes. I was thinking about laying down a base layer right inside the cardboard mold. Line the entire inside with blue tape. But, how would I release a mold? PVA needs a wax base layer. Can't wax tape right?

Ge0

6. Back To Top    #426

dunno. I use wax mold release in a spray can.

There's gotta be a better way. Is there anywhere else that amp can go? can it sit flat? can it sit under the spare tire if an alternative way to secure the wheel were found?

why is the baffle not doing it for you? you're already bass heavy, so you can get enough out of it.

--------------

what if you cut that baffle in half? would that make it easier to deal with?front half, back half.

7. Back To Top    #427

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I needed to mess with cross-over points between drivers and phase a little bit. But, nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely no need for a victory lap.

As far as the sub box goes. I was thinking about laying down a base layer right inside the cardboard mold. Line the entire inside with blue tape. But, how would I release a mold? PVA needs a wax base layer. Can't wax tape right?

Ge0
    You can use wax over tape to release your mold. the first time I ever built a fiber glass enclosure that was what I did. cardboard to define a shape. 2 or 3 layers of blue tape over everything, than gave the whole shebang 3 coats of carnuba wax. After the part was good and cured i was able to peel the mold apart with minimal effort. I will say that this method has a very high chance of destroying the mold during the removal process as I ruined both of my cardboard constructs in the process. as always in life YMMV.

8. Back To Top    #428
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Fernpatch View Post
    You can use wax over tape to release your mold. the first time I ever built a fiber glass enclosure that was what I did. cardboard to define a shape. 2 or 3 layers of blue tape over everything, than gave the whole shebang 3 coats of carnuba wax. After the part was good and cured i was able to peel the mold apart with minimal effort. I will say that this method has a very high chance of destroying the mold during the removal process as I ruined both of my cardboard constructs in the process. as always in life YMMV.
    Thanks for the advice Fernpatch. I figured the cardboard mold will be a goner once I go to pull the fiberglass out. I just want to make sure it breaks free from the fiberglass.

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #429

the more I look at the cardboard, the more I believe fiberglass is not needed here.

10. Back To Top    #430
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

the more I look at the cardboard, the more I believe fiberglass is not needed here.
    Smart ass...

Ge0