Thread: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

1. Back To Top    #271
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    So you got the real deal in there now.

.... so hows it sound?
    Pretty damn good. Unfortunately I currently have my passenger door torn apart and lots of rattles distracting me from serious evaluation. But, it digs deep and thumps.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #272
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Revolversmithing taught me I can feel 0.002 easily to the touch. if it's flush to the touch and smooth, you nailed it.

Round or square, honestly I would be cutting that sheet metal with my angle grinder then cleaning it up with a file.
    I need to find a good gunsmith in my area. I have a rifle and shot gun that have been in the family for generations that got severely damaged when my basement flooded. With sewer water

Ge0

3. Back To Top    #273

I will suggest that you can actually cut the circle by hand fairly well with something more powerful than a dremel. Like an angle grinder.

You have the pen mark there. That's good enough. A scribe would be even better if you can manage scribing it. But the pen should work.

Use an angle grinder and cut as close to the line as you dare. Then clean it up with a well chalked file. I could probably take down a 1/16" average gap around a 12" diameter circle dead nuts to the pen line in about 3 hours with a good bastard file.

4. Back To Top    #274
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I will suggest that you can actually cut the circle by hand fairly well with something more powerful than a dremel. Like an angle grinder.

You have the pen mark there. That's good enough. A scribe would be even better if you can manage scribing it. But the pen should work.

Use an angle grinder and cut as close to the line as you dare. Then clean it up with a well chalked file. I could probably take down a 1/16" average gap around a 12" diameter circle dead nuts to the pen line in about 3 hours with a good bastard file.
    I just received something in the mail that will help with that depth setting issue:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200626_150138.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	12130

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #275

The blue tape is a great idea.
    I'd just suggest tape on the backside too, it'll stick to itself through the holes.
    You don't want any of your tape sliding on you - moving your line.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #276
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    The blue tape is a great idea.
    I'd just suggest tape on the backside too, it'll stick to itself through the holes.
    You don't want any of your tape sliding on you - moving your line.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    So here is my thought on that. I don't have anything that will draw a legible line on this damn sheet of steel. Paint pen and marker wipe off too easy. I tried inscribing a line but that didn't work for sh!t either.

Here is my thought. I'll use my Dremel to grind a fine line into the steel following the line I drew in the tape. From their I can either take the jig saw or metal cut off wheel to finish the job and have a good guide.

Actually mikeyt had a great idea earlier in this thread I might try. Strap the Dremel and metal cut off wheel to a board and cut through it circle jig style.

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #277
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I know I'm overthinking this. But I have nothing better to do as my work day comes to an end on a Friday afternoon. I just hope the rain holds off so I can try a few things.

Ge0

8. Back To Top    #278
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

One thing's for sure, if you can't get it done to your liking necessarily, the sheet metal shop may be an option. Hell, they may even have a dye that could punch you out a circle like it's nothing.

9. Back To Top    #279
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    One thing's for sure, if you can't get it done to your liking necessarily, the sheet metal shop may be an option. Hell, they may even have a dye that could punch you out a circle like it's nothing.
    My state is currently on lock diown due to the virus issue. If a machine shop is open they are not welcoming walk-in's. At this point I say fuck it. I'll just hack it out with a drywall saw .

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #280
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

So I think I have this figured out. This little wheel is leaving a real good score mark. But, it is loud as hell and bothering my neighbors. Who are eating dinner or trying to sit down and watch TV for the night. I'll pick this back up in the morning with a metal cut off wheel.

Name:	IMG_20200626_210518.jpg 
Views:	1041 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	12134

Name:	IMG_20200626_210523.jpg 
Views:	983 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	12133

Ge0