Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

1. Back To Top    #231

Re: 2016 Porsche Macan S - stealth SQ build

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    The problem with routing such small holes with a circle jig is that a majority of your work is hidden. You can't see the cut. You just need to feel it. In this instance with the circle to the left the router cut through the base material and the center plug shifted. This caused me to gouge out an ovular circle pattern before I knew what was going on. I am going to scrap this piece dammit!!!

Luckily enough, the circle to the right cut perfect. I can use it as a pattern to cut a new piece...
    That's exactly why I recessed mine into my mini table saw / router table in my basement workshop.
    Yes, that's pegboard - it's rigged up to my dust collection system. There is a structure under it, but it was pretty cheap and easy to do.
    (It just parks by the wall - on a locking roller stand because it's a small workshop... big stuff happens in the garage)

It still goes freewheeling once you close the circle of course, but it's definitely easier when you can see it coming, so you can avoid the gouges.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geolemon; 06-21-2020 at 08:35 PM.

2. Back To Top    #232
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    That's exactly why I recessed mine into my mini table saw / router table in my basement workshop.
    Yes, that's pegboard - it's rigged up to my dust collection system. There is a structure under it, but it was pretty cheap and easy to do.

It still goes freewheeling once you close the circle of course, but it's definitely easier when you can see it coming, so you can avoid the gouges.

Nice!!!

I can't wait to actually see you build something (shameless plug)

Just messing with you man. Buy the damn car already and get started.

I've spent the last month fabricating pieces. All I need now is for my ResoNix order to come in and I can go to town with my install.

WAIT!!! Where is that damn ResoNix order? It's well over a month late. I'd better hit that guy up...

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #233

'Tis the season!

I have two builds going actually - I haven't had my '95 on the road for almost 10 years, that one is going to be a re-completion. I think I started a thread on that too. That's going to be a fun 100% scrounge from the storage unit. Possibly upholstery material included.

My '17... The lease expires in July, so worst case that's it.
    That one is going to be totally different, so I'm proofing some stuff in advance... Well you know.
    [Insert coming soon emoji here]

4. Back To Top    #234

I want to see that Resonix too...
    I have a big 'ol roll of old school second skin Damplifier, but I'm torn on what I'm doing with it until I start disassembling.
    Interested in this new school Resonix stuff - never seen it.

5. Back To Top    #235

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I have space but no amp channel. Also, I'll need to find another Alpine F1 2904/60001 tweet. These are hard to come by.

Ge0
    That reminds me. I'd plan the wiring too if needed.

FWIW, 2nd order crossovers are very easy to model. Just need a few caps and inductors around the values needed to fine tune and GTG.

In my car, I run a home-made passive on the tweeter and let the midrange rolloff naturally. Just one more trick you can use.

6. Back To Top    #236

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I mentioned the trick earlier in this thread, learned when I was at a shop.

Set the bit depth so you leave a 32nd or so of material. Don;t cut all the way through. Then buzz it. You solved the freewheeling issue.

Then go back and use a utility knife to cut through the middle of the router groove. Then trim the flashing with your flush cut bit or patternmaker.

It's perfect every time, zero gouges.

----------------

And for small circles, here's another trick I use.

I have a set of forstner bits every 8th of an inch from 1/4" to 2 1/8". Whatever hole I need, I subtract increments of 0.75" until I reach a forstner bit size.

Start with the forstner bit and drill a perfect circle.

Then use my 3/8" rabbet bit in the router to widen half of the hole by 0.75". Then I flip it over and widen it again by 0.75". Continue until the desired size is reached, then hit it with the flush bit or patternmaker.

Again, it's perfection. But it makes a TON of dust! Obviously, you're not doing this with 12" holes...

Has the added benefit of being DEAD center where I want the hole, because that's where the pin of the forstner bit landed.

7. Back To Top    #237

I could have tried the Forstner trick just yesterday...
    I just cut some 2" and 3" holes.
    I think my biggest forstner bit is only 1.5" (it's only a 6 or 8 bit set) but would have been fun to try.
    Oh well.

8. Back To Top    #238
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Speaker mounting ring modified:

Course thread fasteners were too long and left sharp edges poking through the back side of the mounting ring. So, I decided to drill and tap the HDPE. This works just fine as long as I don't need to remove and replace the fasteners often. In this case, I will hopefully only be threading these once.

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #239

You can also use brass inserts if you are worried about security. Or helicoils.

10. Back To Top    #240
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    You can also use brass inserts if you are worried about security. Or helicoils.
    I have some just in case I need them. To be honest though, the ring holds the speaker in nice and snug. I probably didn't need to screw the speaker into the ring. But, just one less potential source for vibration.

Ge0