Thread: Downward or forward facing.....

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Downward or forward facing.....

....that is the question. I know there are thought and opinions and probably some facts about this as to which is better, that's why I'm asking. I've got a 2006 GMC sierra crew cab and going to build a system. Since I've never built a system for a truck and am looking for SQ not looking to be a ground pounding SPL monster, I want to know what results people have had facing them either way and which has seemed to be the best for that result. I've looked at boxes for both types of applications and from what I see or think down firing would be better. My thoughts are thus because in a down fired box you have the speakers raised off the floor a little to allow for excursion to some degree. Now the boxes I've seen that are forward facing seem like they are very close to the back of the seat, not being able to flex without hitting the back of the seat or even if so, the seat foam will suck up the sound that gets produced causing a muddled sound not representative of what a SQ driver can do. Your thoughts....

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    SMOKE
    Vehicle
    2006 ZO6 2008 F150

Re: Downward or forward facing.....

Like everything...it depends. Both can sound good. I prefer downfiring myself, but in a few trucks, forward facing has been killer as well.

Lemans Blue ZO6. Pioneer HU, Focal and Dayton drivers, JL VXi, JL XD, TW5's...and on and on...

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

You will have to try it out and measure to see which one works best, every vehicle is different.

But only try them if it is truly an option for you to go that route, its better off not knowing if you don't actually plan on going that route .

I know in my f150 passenger side and down firing was the best I found, but I didn't try forward facing because I knew that was never going to be an option for me.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

What about upwards facing? This is how my box is set up. The subs actually fire up into the rear seats, though there is quite a bit of space between the surrounds and the bottom of my seats. I managed to tune them appropriately so they blend into the front-stage.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

I just saw those boxes when I was looking last night. I too thought that would be cool, but I know if people would be sitting there it might feel weird. But ten again it would be like a massage chair...lol

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If the subs are anywhere near the seats, it really isn't going to matter what direction they are facing. Still probably going to get a massage out of it.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

LOL....butt massage though? That would have to be upward facing.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I get more output from downward facing. So for me, downward would have more of a butt massage.
    The frequencies the subwoofers are playing are omnidirectional. It doesn't really matter for the most part how they face. Having them load off the floor for me causes more output.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Gotcha, that was more of what I was thinking.