Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2-ohm vs. 4-ohm midbass speakers

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: 2-ohm vs. 4-ohm midbass speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Is there any chance that I just need to give the new 2-ohm speakers a little more "break-in" time before I experience the full output from them? I haven't taken new measurements yet, but after playing them at decent levels for a few hours yesterday while driving, they actually *do* seem to be a bit louder now - to the point where I feel that I need to reduce the midbass levels a little (haven't done it yet, but probably will). So maybe I was just too quick to "judge" them?

I think I will lower the gains on the amp for these channels, per JL - and see how things go. I don't want to risk damaging anything if I turn the system up too loud - especially since I actually felt the need to reduce the midbass level a little now anyway. I'm kind of curious what kind of level difference I'll see when I lower the gains per JL's recommendations (measured levels).
    Sure - I feel like I've heard that more for rubber surrounds than for foam, but it's possible either way i'm positive.

Maybe after running them a few days or weeks, you could swap the old mids back in for an A/B test, measuring the dB of each.

As for the gains - I'm solidly a believer in re-setting your gains each time you hook up a new load, OR a new input source. For that A/B test, personally I'd set your gains each time, then your A/B test will be fair, as well. It's "system set properly" vs "system set properly", same volume, same source material, same measurement location. See what you measure. I'm definitely interested - theoretically, if the speakers were otherwise identical, I'd expect something along the lines of 3dB from increasing your power.

And if you are kinda-sorta-maybe hearing a difference - that COULD be 3dB. I've seen studies where they claim 3dB is where most people first "hear" a difference, and in fact 1dB is the minimum that a human with exceptionally sharp hearing is even humanly capable of perceiving, even in the most scientific setting, test-tone-playing, incrementing scenario... which is very far off from "music in a car".

2. Back To Top    #32

I notice differences when I spend money

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by mlekk View Post
    I notice differences when I spend money
    That's just paying someone ELSE, to use THEIR brain. Might as well not even read forums like this if that's the strategy.
    It's also easy to "spend wrong", by trusting the wrong people... or reading the wrong thing... misunderstanding an idea... blindly believing in a logo... not understanding physics, etc.
    If there's one thing it's easy to do in audio, it's set money on fire. If you don't believe me, I'll be glad to advise you.

And the funny thing - cognitive bias... it increases with the amount spent, especially as the amount spent taxes the person spending. So a college kid working a pizzeria who just spent $1000 on some subwoofer that they used anecdotal fallacy to justify buying on a Facebook back-patting group... they are going to believe AFTER the purchase that the thing-they-bought was well-researched and 'the greatest thing ever'... it's a pretty fascinating psychological dynamic, and a cautionary tale. Often, the person speaking the most loudly about how "great" his ____ is - that person is fishing for validation. Especially if they really can't back up why they claim what they claim. Pretty much every person who actually participates in a "What sub is best?" thread by blurting out a name, with no validation or justification... yep.

Sometimes, I think my morbid curiosity about legitimate psychology keeps me as interested in car audio as does my intentional psychological influencing of psychoacoustics through installation trickery.