Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-ohm vs. 4-ohm midbass speakers

1. Back To Top    #1

2-ohm vs. 4-ohm midbass speakers

I've been looking at some CDT Audio 6x9 midbass speakers. Most of their 6x9 models come in both 2-ohm or 4-ohm versions.

Is there any reason NOT to go with a 2-ohm midbass speaker (assuming the amp is 2-ohm stable)? I mean it would basically double the power going to the speaker, just like if you were bridging two amp channels for the midbass, right (without requiring the extra amp channels)?

Assuming the amp is 2-ohm stable, are there any "cons" to using a 2-ohm version of a speaker over a 4-ohm version (otherwise, the speaker is exactly the same)?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: 2-ohm vs. 4-ohm midbass speakers

Nope, many factory speakers are using 2 ohm drivers now. The only con I see is if you use the factory wiring and it’s very small wire, like 22 gauge wire, and you want to run 100 watts through it. 2 ohm loads require more current to flow through the wire due to the reduced resistance so that could limit potential power limit.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, so next question then... :-)

If lower speaker ohms allow for more power without any "cons", why aren't all car speakers make to a 2-ohm spec? I mean why *wouldn't* you want to get them most power as possible from your amp? Are they harder or more expensive to design? Is there some other reason?

Just curious...

Thanks for the help!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Ok, so next question then... :-)

If lower speaker ohms allow for more power without any "cons", why aren't all car speakers make to a 2-ohm spec? I mean why *wouldn't* you want to get them most power as possible from your amp? Are they harder or more expensive to design? Is there some other reason?

Just curious...

Thanks for the help!
    I don’t have a concrete specific answer for that and sometimes wondered that myself. One guess is that amplifier power is very cheap and it’s only the midbass that really needs a lot of power so that might have something to do with it. Many amplifiers are also only 4 ohm stable when bridged so I would guess manufacturers don’t want to limit an already small market for car audio by making speakers that may not work with some bridged amplifiers. Some people still believe the damping factor is reduced to a point that degrades cone control but most of the more knowledgeable SQ guys know it makes no audible difference. Andy Wehmeyer wrote a good article about that.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Also the damping factor on the amplifier (the ability to control the speakers movement) reduces relatively to the impedance. That is the con of running at lower impedance.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Haakono View Post
    Also the damping factor on the amplifier (the ability to control the speakers movement) reduces relatively to the impedance. That is the con of running at lower impedance.
    See the last two sentences in the post above yours. :-)

It sounds like the damping factor "issue" is really a non-issue...

7. Back To Top    #7

I certainly do not believe damping factor is a concern with today’s amps. Yesteryear amps, sure for some but for modern amps, nope.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Even yesteryear amps didn't exhibit a noticeable change as far as damping factor. In 1999 I participated in an experiment regarding damping factor and only really cheap amps (think flea market) could be distinguished. It may just be about impedance capabilities of many car amps when the standard was evolving.

I am genuinely curious though because I have wondered about this same question myself.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess the definition of yesteryear might help. Lol! I’m getting older so my yesteryear goes back a ways.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Oh gotcha.

Yeah, the earliest amp we had was a PPI art series. Heck, my first amps were alpine DIN cable units so I guess old is relative.
    Meh, it'll play.