Thread: What would you use?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    Tacoma 4x

What would you use?

I have two vents in the back wall of my Tacoma. They are horizontal slots (roughly 12"x1") with a rubber flap inside the slot and a shroud over the slot. I believe these vents are a source of road and exhaust noise. The vents are required for venting air during the closing of doors and HVAC ops. I am considering a flap of material hanging/wrapped loosely over the vent to block the noise out but still allowing airflow through the vent. What will work the best for this? TIA for ideas.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What would you use?

Are you building anything over these vents for say an amp rack or similar? Look up “projector hush box” and you’ll see images that show how they make the airflow go around multiple bends with insulation on the walls. This allows the projector fan noise to be absorbed while allowing airflow so I’d try a smaller version of this if you can. Egg foam crate foam or similar should work well. You’re mainly just trying to get the sound waves to bounce back and forth and be absorbed by the insulation on the walls.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Dan
    Vehicle
    Tacoma 4x

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backwall.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	9838
    I wasn't planning on building anything there. I was hoping for a slim solution allowing me to retain the stock seating and the storage right under the vents. I'll look for the "hush box" and see if I get any ideas. Thanks
    Last edited by adamhenry; 03-25-2020 at 12:59 AM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Wonder if you could use a foam Shop Vac filter.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I simply covered mine up with a sheet of sound deadener. Works great. I'm under the impression that the vents are for pressure equalizing when opening and closing the doors, not terribly vital. I have had zero issues with mine sealed up for nearly a year now.