Thread: 2020 Subaru Outback - Audiofrog, Helix, ResoNix

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: 2020 Subaru Outback - Audiofrog, Helix, ResoNix

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    Yes, outstanding work thanks for sharing. And when did Subaru interiors get so nice ?

Why does the client want to use 2 different DAPs ? Is there a particular reason for that ?

Also, I will almost always say in all Audiofrog threads - dang those GB25's are small !
    I didn't want two DAPs. I had the Fiio X5iii but it did not have optical out (only had coaxial output). I bought the Ibasso DX 150 because it has optical output. Both have a similar sound signature but the Fiio has better UI for driving. I thought the optical ouput would cut down on conversions since most DSP's have optical input. Nick knew better, and again he was right. I can not and will not ever hear that extra conversion. Now I can use whatever DAP I want.

2. Back To Top    #12

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work, Nick!

And Crikey, Stycker, you're a lucky bastard, haha! I'm sure that you're enjoying this system immensely.

And yes, Subaru has stepped up their game considerably on the interiors. But it still depends on the model and trim level a bit.

The only thing that drives me absolutley nuts is the large, flat, trapezoidal OEM acrylic Head Unit bezel. That radio bezel is huge and angles upwards significantly so that it perfectly catches every reflection possible, including huge, direct sun starbursts that "ping" your eyeballs.

Driving these through winding canyons with lots of trees/hills where you are constantly going in and out of the sun & shade is horribly distracting.

I've worked on a shit ton of Subaru advertising photo shoots throughout the years, and it's a PITA to photograph as well. But more important is the safety factor.

One the first photo shoot we had that used this new radio bezel design, I noticed this straight away and stated my concerns directly to Sondra Shiffer, the head Merchandising Manager for all of Subaru of America. She's super cool, and appreciates all feedback. And I'm not quoting her directly, but she basically said, "Yeah, I KNOW. I drive one, too! Unfortunately, it's not my department and the design team has made a few poor decisions, but it's the only design they came up with that still flowed with the angle of the dash."

This first shoot happened to be at Willow Springs Raceway, and most of us on the shoot took at least a few laps around the track. The reflections off of the bezel were definitely not welcomed. And it's definitely worse in the early AM or late afternoon sun...precisely when we'd normally shoot, AND when you'd normally commute to/from work.

My elderly parents happened to buy an Outback as their winter grocery getter, and before I could ask about the stereo's bezel, my dad mentioned the sunburst reflections off of it when driving to/from home through the canyons & trees. When I visited I would drive it quite a bit and experienced more of this first hand.

They live in an area of rolling hills, canyons, and oaks, so most of their driving is in those types of areas. My mom actually sewed a matching black trapezoidal fabric cover for the bezel with bendable "art wire" sewn into the perimeter piping. It clips to the A/C vents and you can flip it down when needed. They pretty much left the stereo on the same XM/sirius station all of the time so it didn't bother them much to not see the display.

On that first photo shoot I stated to Sondra that I sincerely hoped that this design wasn't continued and implemented throughout the entire Subaru family. But unfortunately it pretty much was. On every concurrent shoot and for each new model I would say, "Oh Yay! There's my favorite stereo bezel EVAR, LOL!" and just SMH. Luckily Sondra was mostly in agreement and super cool, but I'm still a bit surprised that I wasn't blacklisted from future shoots!

SORRY for the major derail. i guess you can tell that I'm just a little bit triggered by that silly bezel, LOL?

Enjoy that KILLER system!!!
    Last edited by bbfoto; 03-25-2020 at 10:32 PM.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

This is now my fifth Subaru to date. Third Outback/Legacy wagon. It's the perfect all around car for me. It absolutely has it's quirks though. The radio at first sight is stunning. Its a vertical tall screen the size of a large ipad. Think Tesla or New Ram. However it is actually three different horizontal sections. That makes the radio section horizontal, more like an 8 inch screen. Only the navigation utilises the full screen. In order to shut off the auto start/stop you must hit 4 or 5 buttons. Its the same situation when needing the seat heater. My wife's Forester has rocker switches for everything. Some things should have been left alone.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Those pods are gorgeous. I only wish I had that level of fabrication skill. After seeing those, I don't think I'm even going to post pictures of the tweeter pods I'm currently making.
    Meh, it'll play.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    I've been waiting patiently for this. I am the owner of this Outback. I have been wanting to throw up some pictures of this build. Now I'm glad I waited. I knew Nick would get around to this, but I also know how busy he has been. I was lucky to get in when I did due to a big cancelation that freed up a week of Nick's time. He had at least 10 to 12 builds on his dry board waiting to come in. Nick and Kevin absolutely nailed this one. I have always done my own installs and fabrication in the past, but this time I wanted a professional installation. Not just any professional install either. I wanted Apicella Auto Sound. Nick's shop is one of, if not, the Best Audio Shops around. I have been lurking on diyma and here since about 2012. This is how I knew Nick was passionate about his work and could back up his talk. This made it easy for me to make the 6 hour trip from Pittsburgh. Those sail pods are the most beautiful, intricate, and dare I say stealth speaker pods I have ever seen. I say stealth, but they really aren't. They look factory but they also stand out at the same time. I told Nick that's how I wanted it look "Factory but Better" and he delivered better than expected. I'm not a flashy guy and that is why the hatch area looks somewhat plain compared to those pods. I wanted the hatch to be fully functional with hidden equipment and no lights and disco balls. Once again Nick and Kevin delivered. I asked Nick why he didn't cut holes in the sub cover, He said " we didn't need to". He was right. Cover on or off it makes no difference, the sound does not change. Finally this thing sounds absolutely amazing. Pure, clean and powerful. I listened to both Nick and Kevin's cars and said, "make it sound like that". Once again Nick delivered. Voices are centered with a realistic sound stage. We also implemented rear fill to perfection with the extra channels from the Helix. I was hesitant because I personally never got rear channels to integrate well with the front stage. The way Nick set this up adds a sense of space without ever pulling the stage back. I was initially worried that 75 watts was not going to be enough for the GB60's as the Helix V8 is not bridgeable. Once again I was wrong, there is plenty of midbass and I'm glad I have rear fill. I hope to hit some shows this year so people can see and hear this in person. I was always one of those guys that scoffed at going the professional route versus the diy route but not anymore. I simply could not have achieved this on my own. Thank you Nick and Kevin.
    Thank you Brian! It really means a lot. Idk if I told you this, but your grills were never supposed to be THAT intricate. But as I usually do, I get carried away when I think of something cool and next thing you know I'm trying to piece together something that i would have previously thought impossible lol. Im glad you are enjoying the system as a whole, and especially the rear fill and the V Eight. I say this all the time and I'll say it again... If you are reading this, i can almost guarantee that you can get more clean power out of your system vs how it is currently set up. Gain structure and proper tuning is a hell of a thing

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    your grills were never supposed to be THAT intricate. But as I usually do, I get carried away when I think of something cool and next thing you know I'm trying to piece together something that i would have previously thought impossible lol.
    funny, I've heard that before...
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat with the HK audio system upgraded with: Pac AmpPRO, Helix DSP.3 with Director, Focal Utopia Be tweeters, 3.5 Utopia M mids, Morel Elate Titanium 602 woofers, (2) Audiofrog GB12D2 subs, Mosconi AS200.4 and AS100.4 courtesy of Apicella Auto Sound

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
    funny, I've heard that before...
    yeah, exactly lol. pay for "stage 2" and get "stage 4" just because i cant control myself lol

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

This Helix is one hell of DSP/Amp. I have only made minor tweaks in eq and levels. The tuner in me just can't leave things alone. Aside from the minor eq and level tweaks, I just can't improve on Nick's tune. Everything sounds perfect. I initially thought I liked the stage expanders, but after critical listening I found that it does collapse the stage. The bass expanders are also just a bit too much. They do add some bass boost, but I find that the sub level control and tone controls do a better job. Between the install, speaker locations, equipment, sound deadening and tuning I think we have a mic drop here.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    This Helix is one hell of DSP/Amp. I have only made minor tweaks in eq and levels. The tuner in me just can't leave things alone. Aside from the minor eq and level tweaks, I just can't improve on Nick's tune. Everything sounds perfect. I initially thought I liked the stage expanders, but after critical listening I found that it does collapse the stage. The bass expanders are also just a bit too much. They do add some bass boost, but I find that the sub level control and tone controls do a better job. Between the install, speaker locations, equipment, sound deadening and tuning I think we have a mic drop here.
    It looks like Nick did an awesome job on your Subaru. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I know Nick's customer's come from near and far, but in a perfect world it would be great to have a get together at his shop where we all could see and hear the projects that Nick and Kevin put together. And, I've played with my "Nick" settings in the Helix too. I've actually got 3 different presets for different types of music. Nothing drastic, just enhancements for my listening style (and hearing impairment)...
    2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat with the HK audio system upgraded with: Pac AmpPRO, Helix DSP.3 with Director, Focal Utopia Be tweeters, 3.5 Utopia M mids, Morel Elate Titanium 602 woofers, (2) Audiofrog GB12D2 subs, Mosconi AS200.4 and AS100.4 courtesy of Apicella Auto Sound

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Nick

WARRANTIES VOIDED!!!