Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask an Acoustic Engineer (me)

1. Back To Top    #431
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Re: Ask an Acoustic Engineer (me)

I'm trying to integrate a factory head unit with a Helix Ultra. The car is a Subaru Outback 2020 with Harman Kardon. When I use digital straight to the Helix all speakers are in phase and sum at the crossovers. This indicates to me that everything in the car is setup perfectly. When I use the factory head there are issues. Nick A has looked at this a few times and the best we could come up with in a brief setup was to add delay of 14-15 ms on the left side. This definately helps me to get a decent tune but there are still issues. With polarity set to normal on all speakers my mids are out of phase with each other left to right. In this configuration the left side is in phase and the right side is in phase. If I keep playing the game of polarity flipping something always ends up being out of phase. I recently upgraded the software on the Helix to the newest update because I saw there were updates to the ISA (input signal analyser). There is a glitch in the software that doesn't allow that page and only that page to fully show up on my laptop. I called Audio Tech Fisher and they said they are aware of the problem and are working on it. I'm sure there is also a learning curve o be able to detect these fancy integrated cars. In the meantime does anyone know how to integrate a factory 6th gen Subaru Outback. There is no Nav-tv or Pac that I am aware of. I even considered getting the Kicker key loc. That would be wrong considering I have this Helix Ultar with fancy integration that I don't know how to use properly. What sort of measurments can I take that will help my situation. I have REW and a USB mic.

2. Back To Top    #432
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

You probably have all pass filters on that system and will need to look more into that. The ISA can help when you play each indivual signal and then play the combination signal (both left and right together) and see what frequencies are impacted. You can then play with all pass on those bands to where it sums better. This is why flipping polarity does not work. It isn't the entire signal out of phase, it is a certain frequency band and the only way to fix that is all pass filters, otherwise flipping polarity will always have that band out of phase.

The easier and better way would be able to measure the phase of each speaker in real time using smaart, open sound meter, or JL tun software with the max.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #433
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

Thank you. I figured as much. I will try some all pass filters. I think it might be in the 250 Hz area. Audiotech Fisher updated the ISA section and they claim its much easier to detect timing and allpass filters. This is an area that I'm not all that familiar with. That ISA page is only half visible right now until they update the software again or I try a different laptop(I only have one) Is there some literature I can read or videos that explain how to look for these factory integration factors. Or is there a way for me to provide REW measurements on this site for an EASY-BUTTON. I wish there was someone at Subaru that I could call and ask what the Heck they did.

4. Back To Top    #434
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
    Thank you. I figured as much. I will try some all pass filters. I think it might be in the 250 Hz area. Audiotech Fisher updated the ISA section and they claim its much easier to detect timing and allpass filters. This is an area that I'm not all that familiar with. That ISA page is only half visible right now until they update the software again or I try a different laptop(I only have one) Is there some literature I can read or videos that explain how to look for these factory integration factors. Or is there a way for me to provide REW measurements on this site for an EASY-BUTTON. I wish there was someone at Subaru that I could call and ask what the Heck they did.

If you play an individual speaker and meaure it's response, then play the other speaker and measure it's response. Then play them both and see where it is not +3-6db above the individual responses. Where there are big dips is where you will need all pass filters. Start playing with frequency and width (q) until the problem area is fixed without impacting other areas. This is more or less a guessing game without being able to actuall see the real time phase of each speaker.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #435
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

OK thanks. I'll do some more measuring and evaluating. In the three years I've had this car I keep getting closer. I have it to the point where I enjoy how it sounds and images but its still far from my competition tune with direct digital into the processor. Right now I have it set up with the left mid and left midbass out of phase with everything else being in phase. This is the best setup so far. Imaging is centered with a slight right bias. Sounds fuller on the right. I also think finding the right allpass filter will work.

6. Back To Top    #436

Hi, how to avoid digital clipping?
    Source is iphone, wired carplay to head unit, most adapter 150 (nav zen tv) toslink to Helix ultra.

I see Andy explain about digital clipping but only with high level input to dsp.

I cant find anything about digital clipping when feed digital source to dsp directly. Any infor or articles regarding this in car audio? thank you.

7. Back To Top    #437
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kb86 View Post
    Hi, how to avoid digital clipping?
    Source is iphone, wired carplay to head unit, most adapter 150 (nav zen tv) toslink to Helix ultra.

I see Andy explain about digital clipping but only with high level input to dsp.

I cant find anything about digital clipping when feed digital source to dsp directly. Any infor or articles regarding this in car audio? thank you.

If you can find the quote where Andy is talking about digital clipping then I might be able to help you understand it better. My best guess is he is talking about input clipping the high level input of the dsp. If you feed an *analog* signal into the dsp that is too large then it will not be able to cope and the signal will be clipped or distorted.

If you send a digital signal to your dsp, then you cannot clip it by sending a signal that is too large. This is one of the nice benefits of digital signals, they just work. The toslink connection you are using cannot create digital clipping so there is nothing to worry about, and there is no information or articles about this in car audio because it is a problem that does not occur.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #438

Thank you Justin. Its weird i heard distortion doing that way. While bluetooth directly to dsp sound fine. Guess there is something wrong in that chain.

9. Back To Top    #439
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    If you can find the quote where Andy is talking about digital clipping then I might be able to help you understand it better. My best guess is he is talking about input clipping the high level input of the dsp. If you feed an *analog* signal into the dsp that is too large then it will not be able to cope and the signal will be clipped or distorted.
    Probably this one:

https://www.audiofrog.com/are-scopes...etting-up-dsp/
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

10. Back To Top    #440
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    Thank you Cathul, good find. I think I understand your question better, @Kb86 It looks like Andy is talking about different sources of clipping: input, output, and digital.

If you're interested in determining if this is happening in your system, there are a few options:

Input clipping:
    To hear what input clipping sounds like, you need to overdrive the input of the DSP with an analog signal that is too hot. At the same time, you want to turn down the *output* of the DSP so that you can still listen to the speakers at a medium/low volume and not blow them up, but you still want to be able to hear the music and be able to listen for the distortion. Try turning the output trim on the DSP to something very low like -60dB and then turn the DSP input to maximum, and the DSP's input gain knobs to maximum. Then play something on your radio at very low volume level (like 5%) and slowly turn up the radio. At some point you should turn it up loud enough that you get distortion to occur and it should be obvious eventually, but you will hopefully still be at low/medium listening volume level so your speakers won't be in danger of blowing up.

Digital clipping:
    Similar to above. Disconnect your tweeters before you do this as digital clipping has a lot of energy that can fry a tweeter instantly. This is risky for any speaker so be very careful about doing this while speakers are plugged in, maybe disconnect all but one speaker just to be safe. Do the same as above, but raise the radio volume level to just below the point where the system is distorting. You should have music that sounds clean but at a low listening level. Then go into the DSP and boost everything you can find (other than input gain), one setting at a time. If you do enough boosting inside the dsp, *and* you are still listening at low to medium volume levels, then you should get digital clipping. It will sound absolutely terrible and be 100% obvious. Don't forget to disconnect your tweeters first!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.