Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About that Harmon DSP that was cyptically mentioned during CES ...

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Re: About that Harmon DSP that was cyptically mentioned during CES ...

I didn't get a chance to finish this but they cover it at the begining of this episode (I got through the Crossover set-up)

I was thinking about something like this for my Toyota Highlander but then the proverbial rabbit hole got deeper and somehow this didn't seem like enough or more to the point I am already thinking about the upgrades to a build I just started so that would free up an AudioControl D.6-1200 for the Highlander which I would use to drive AF GS series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPjM3Xe7bI
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Hmmm... didn't see any upmixing options....
    Nope... kinda bummed, I was hoping this was going to be a newer more powerful MS-8 but it seems I will be disappointed in that arena.

Don't see anything about an auto EQ either, which was a huge part of why I loved the MS-8.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Wow, thank you for sharing the link!

So it drops the auto-tune and the upmixing of the MS8. Why did they even mention MS8 in the advertisement? That makes no sense, this is not even remotely close to the same product.

Bummer.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Available now at Crutcfield, at $399. it might be a good choice for someone just getting in to car audio.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Apjkjg...L-DSP4086.html

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

But no rca outputs for sub amp and too high of high level for most other dsps.

I guess not bad for an 8 channel 40w/channel amp and dsp. If it was bridgeable it could be ok or staggered power for midbass, midrange, and tweeters. Still though, not great.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    But no rca outputs for sub amp and too high of high level for most other dsps.

I guess not bad for an 8 channel 40w/channel amp and dsp. If it was bridgeable it could be ok or staggered power for midbass, midrange, and tweeters. Still though, not great.
    True. I was thinking that channels 7 and 8 could be used as high level inputs to a sub amplifier, perhaps something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL6...Club-A600.html

From the product blurb: "Channels 7 & 8 can be assigned as subwoofer outputs, and can have their output level controlled via the included wired remote control."

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

I think people were expecting an aftermarket version of the Mark Levinson piece used in the Lexus LS500 (like Natan Budiono uses in his Suzuki).

8. Back To Top    #18

Ok so I know this is technically my 1st post HERE but I own one.... The JBL 4086 version not the Infinity class AB 4chan version that does appear to have Sub RCA Out....
    So I'm set up initially to test it then add amps using it as a line driver/ processor. The outputs can be dialed down to -60DB so a simple RCA end on the high levels may actually work..... On a 2.3ohm DCR driver (Kappa 60.9/50.9)my DD1+ showed 14.5Vrms around 100w RMS.... That was with all the outputs and master at the max of 6DB but no clipping showing on the DD1+ or the software.... The 31 Band PEQ give some versatility to the tuning....
    I'm going to dial the outputs back and see if I can use the RCAs in to my other amps without issue.... May take some time.
    Their is no gain adjustments. Externally or in the software other than the master volume or each individual output

9. Back To Top    #19

im thinking of buying one,is it good for a beginner? thanks don

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I just bought one of these as well. I have the Dayton DSP 408 which is fairly easy and has a load of information on the web. This one is easy too, at least for me. So far it has done what I wanted very well.

There isn't much info on the web yet and the JBL manual is lacking to say the least. The only thing I can think of which may be a little tricky, is using the outputs to feed another amp (mainly cheap ones).

Currently, I'm using the amplifier's power on my 3-way front stage only. I don't want a stereo to entertain the neighborhood or punch me in the face. So far it has plenty of power for my 8" midbass at volumes higher than I listen to. However, each channel has its own level adjustment as low as -60db. This should allow for connecting an RCA cable to feed another amplifier which doesn't have speaker level inputs.

This is where some would find it a little tricky and may be why the manual doesn't spell it out. I plan to use channels 7 and 8 to feed an RF Punch 300 mono amp for my sub (easy because the inputs are high level). I will use a meter to set the output to a proper level. This is not difficult; however, while connected in the software, if you accidentally turn the level up all the way, you could burn up the input of the other amplifier... especially if it's a cheaper amp without protection circuitry and only low level inputs.

To avoid this mistake, I create a base profile with speaker positions, crossover settings, and the low level channels before connecting to the other amplifier. I then save this profile to EVERY preset and backup files on the PC. This way, if I accidentally hit another preset while tuning, I shouldn't feed a ton power the low level inputs of my other amp.

I can also add another 2ch amp to channels 5 and 6 for increased power to my midbass if I need it down the road. The advantage of the RF punch amplifiers is they can take up to a 12V input and they even have an accessory speaker cable for speaker to RCA connections. The added clip indicators and well written manual, make the setup very easy for the novice. Yes, you can do this with many other amps and cables, it's easy and safe especially with high level inputs, I just think this is an easy to use quality amp.

The one really big con a few may have is, this is only tunable with PC. No mobile, tablet or Apple products. The presets can only be changed while connected to the PC.
    Meh, it'll play.