Thread: Headunit speaker outputs different voltage

1. Back To Top    #1

Headunit speaker outputs different voltage

Hi, I also posted on the other site.
    I have a factory Subaru base headunit that I’m running my LF and RF speaker level inputs into an LC7i. While checking for clipping I noticed the LF was a clean sine at about 2 volts and RF was about 8 volts. Headunit it set to flat and has no other settings.
    I thought the headunit was bad so found another factory headunit and tested that and did the same thing.

I am running speed wire from the headunit front channels with t-taps. I triple checked my wiring and I know I’m using the correct factory wires and everything is labeled correctly.

I even took an aftermarket Sony headunit I have and tested that headunits speaker level outputs and again 1 channel was nice and the other channel was a lot more voltage.

My car is a disaster right now with wiring and headunits all over and I think I’m missing something simple.
    Side note one of the factory harness wires cut through so I soldered it(good soldering) but not sure how that would affect voltage.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Headunit speaker outputs different voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Subydude81 View Post
    My car is a disaster right now with wiring and headunits all over and I think I’m missing something simple.
    If you have the luxury, putting a radio on a bench with just a power supply can remove all the other chaos from the picture. This could help you see if it's the radio, or possibly related to something else.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I’m going to guess factory tuning where the right side is playing louder than the left side to center the stage. 6 volts is a big difference though.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

4. Back To Top    #4

What's strange is that he's seeing the huge difference between left and right channels even with an aftermarket headunit. Doesn't make any sense to me..

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry I updated the other site but didn’t do this right away. Since I was using the T-taps which I really dislike I just had this feeling it’s not a great setup. I removed the 4 T-taps I was using and noticed 1 wire was literally hanging on by 1 strand. I’m kind of meticulous about things being the same (wire length, colors) that I just soldered in the 4 wires. I just checked the voltages and they were the same for both channels so that was the issue. Of course since I took the radio out about 50 times I damaged 1 of the pins in the actual connector. Tomorrow I have to remove the pin and install a new wire into the connector. Hopefully that’s the end of it.