Thread: What do you think of my tune?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    2016 Colorado Crew

Re: What do you think of my tune?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post

That was kind of the point of this thread - to see if I'm going about this the right way. Due to phase and/or reflection issues, I will never get the individual speakers responses, the L+R speaker responses AND the overall response to all match my target curve. I figured it's best to end up with the overall response to match the curve though....

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

TL;DR - To me, it seems more important for the *overall* response (all speakers playing) to match your target curve than for the individual speaker responses - or the combined L + R speaker responses, to match the curve. To me, the end goal would be to match your curve with ALL speakers playing, even if that does cause individual speaker or L+R speaker pair responses to no longer match the curve. In order to accomplish this, I first EQ individual speakers to my curve, then make adjustments so that L+R speaker pairs match the curve and finally make even more adjustments to make sure to match the curve with ALL speakers playing.

Thanks for the write-up jtrosky, this is a good example of a tune log!. However, I'd like to see a little more input from the experts on the above question you posted. It seems to me that your tune process is solid, but I would like to hear what the experts have to say. I think SkiZer was sorta confirming your process as a good one, but I'm still a little fuzzy on his response as it relates to your process and your questions...

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    doing individual speakers instead of left vs right is a bit more accurate and ensures the crossover types and slopes are working as they should. Example - say the midbass drivers are crosssed from 80hz to 250hz with 24db slopes, and the midrange from 250 to 3000, also 24db slopes. Left midbass has a huge peak at 270hz, but the rest of the drivers do not. Doing left/right eq can result in the same overall response, but will have different responses from the different speaker locations and can cause some undesirable results in that region.
    Thanks for weighing in, SkizeR. Can you help clarify what sort of issues would come up? If the overall response is spot on with doing entire L/R EQ, I totally get that the individual responses could look a bit whacky, however, would these undesirable results be something that we could hear only, and would not show up in the measured frequency response? Just wondering how I would know if these undesirable results were there if the measured acoustic response looked great. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #13

Not speaking for SkizeR, but the way that I see it is that since you have a peak in the crossover region on one side (using SkizeR's example), if you use the auto-EQ to EQ "whole sides" only (instead of individual speakers), it doesn't know which specific speaker has the peak on that one side (since it's in the crossover region) - so it's just going to apply EQ to *both* speakers to reduce that peak (some freqs on one speaker and some freqs on the other speaker). So even thought the overall "whole side" responses would be the same, the individual speaker responses on that one side may be very different from the other side, causing the stage to favor left or right at those frequencies.

Not the clearest explanation, but hopefully you see what I mean. When auto-EQ'ing a whole side, it can't address issues in the crossover region perfectly since it really doesn't know which specific speaker is causing the problem when the problem is in a crossover region - it just sees the whole side as "one speaker". Whereas auto-EQ'ing each speaker individually, it will correct each speaker individually since there are no crossovers actually taking place at that point.

4. Back To Top    #14

Ah, that helps a lot. Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, the acoustic response of the overall system doesn’t know if 90% of the signal is coming from the R side and 10% of the L side (for example). It’s just going to see, potentially, that when measured together, the response is flat (or whatever is desired). It’s not going to be able to tell you that your sound stage is pulled to the R for that range of frequencies. You could only see this by measuring drivers individually or the frequency responses on each side of the car individually (or using my ears). This is just an example but I think I get it (but correct me if I’m wrong).

I’m going to go back and tune with this in mind now.

Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If you never look at individual speakers, that also means you never looked at individual crossovers. If you want an 80hz acoustical crossover, you usually don't set an electrical 80hz crossover. It's usually some other value, sometimes some other slope other than 24, and sometimes some other type besides LR, in order to get a 24 dB LR acoustical crossover.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #16

Yep, I remember reading that in here recently. Just redid the tune and I definitely noticed exactly what you are saying. My electrical crossover values varied quite a bit on each driver in order to get the target acoustical crossover.

Thanks!