Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Head Unit or go with PAC AmpPRO?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2014 Silverado

Re: New Head Unit or go with PAC AmpPRO?

To be fair my truck started its life in Canada. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

The couple head units I'm looking at are the Kenwood DMX9706S, Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX, and, Pioneer AVH-2550NEX

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2014 Silverado

Well I decided on the Kenwood DMX9706S. It checked all my boxes and I got a good deal on it.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Matt76cmich View Post
    From what I'm seeing on Crutchfield most of the install kits are roughly $150 for aftermarket head units.

I guess the only thing I am worried about with the AmpPRO for my truck is the inability to use the usb for an input. I would have to reply on the stock head units Bluetooth (whatever that codec is) as my signal to the TOSlink (I bought a TOSlink to go with the PAC).
    Crutchfield usually sells the kits half price when you buy the head unit.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Sounds like you already have your decision, but wanted to throw out there that I was able to successfully use the AP4-GM61 on my 2017 non-Bose Silverado with the 8" screen. It works great for me (assuming you've read up on the limitations with tuned sources for non-Bose).

Also, I've tried a USB drive with this and noticed that not all USB ports will allow for playback. Unfortunately the ports under the lid in the center console would not recognize the drive, only the 2 ports in the dash portion of the console would allow playback.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2014 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
    Sounds like you already have your decision, but wanted to throw out there that I was able to successfully use the AP4-GM61 on my 2017 non-Bose Silverado with the 8" screen. It works great for me (assuming you've read up on the limitations with tuned sources for non-Bose).

Also, I've tried a USB drive with this and noticed that not all USB ports will allow for playback. Unfortunately the ports under the lid in the center console would not recognize the drive, only the 2 ports in the dash portion of the console would allow playback.
    Sounds like you have a center console, I do not. Only usb for me is in the armrest storage area. The 2016 I leased the usb in the same location worked (done with leasing, hence the stereo upgrade lol).

I watched the video from Dean and Fernando for getting the dip switch 3 to get fm to work better. That was a plus for me since I like to listen to sports talk radio from time to time or listen to games.

The inability to use USB and not having the android auto (after having it) made my decision to go aftermarket. I was scheming all kinds of plans to forgo the stock head unit altogether from going with the an AC DM-608 with the aptx bluetooth to going the topping d-10 dac route. The aftermarket headunit in the end I think is the easiest and most practical route (but I could be completely wrong lol)

Last edited by Matt76cmich; 03-09-2020 at 03:27 PM.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2014 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by tfunk182 View Post
    Crutchfield usually sells the kits half price when you buy the head unit.
    Crutchfield knocked $50 off everything I needed for the install kit and I went with the scratch and dent radio. That was $100 off. I have bought their scratch and dent with zero problems so far and can barely ever find the defect. The amp and sub were also scratch and dent from Crutchfield. All in all I stayed around my $600 mark for the head unit and install kit. Just going off of reviews most of the issues have been with the Kenwood app and the wireless Android Auto/Car Play, but I'll be connected through USB 99% of the time (which in the back of my head makes me think a cheaper route might have worked just as good).

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2014 Silverado

My new concern is if I should return the DSP that showed up today with scratches. Looks like it could be from assembly or it was opened up at one time. The place I bought it from assured me that it was new stock and was not a return of any sort, but in the back of my head it's bothering me. I emailed Zapco to see if anything like this is normal with assembly and I'll go from there.

The other part concerning me is how I'm going to mount it vertically on the amp rack that is getting attached to the back wall of my truck with no screw mount holes. In my bike i have used commercial grade velcro with success, but nothing this big in a vertical position.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado

I run the ampro and a DSP-408 with the Bluetooth module. I havent tried streaming music through that module but maybe it’s a consideration for you if you still have the option to change up.