Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglassing Advice

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Fiberglassing Advice

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. I just want to echo those who have mentioned that you try *something* before going to the real job first. Even if that means just setting up a little area to mess around in and try to get the hang of what happens to the mat as you brush over it, or pre-soak the area before you lay mat down. Just play around with the materials and get familiar with them.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Well this is good timing. I have some midrange speakers and tweeters that I may try grafting into the A pillars (maybe). Where do you guys procure your vinyl, paint, and other supplies?
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Is painters tape an appropriate masking material for resin? Could I lay some tape on a surface, make a small resin/fiberglass sheet, and be able to separate it from the tape after it dries? Or is there another product I should use?

4. Back To Top    #14

Blue 3m tape works. There is better/smoother release but that's fine. You can also use Johnson's wax as a mold release. It's good because it's available at every hardware store. Really actual mold release is best and cheap.

5. Back To Top    #15

I'm getting ready to start on my a-pillar project soon as well and was wondering what is another filler to use other than Rage Gold. No one around here carries it in stock so I have always used bondo filler. Is there something better that would be available at like an Advance Auto or Home Depot?

6. Back To Top    #16

Call an automotive paint supply store. Amazon prime will have it there in 2 days if not. It's not cheap but to me it's worth it. It stores for more than a year too.

7. Back To Top    #17

I will add that cheapo brown packaging tape (the 2” thick stuff on parcels) works exceptionally well as a masking tape, sticks to everything pretty well and is better than masking tape for releasing

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    Call an automotive paint supply store. Amazon prime will have it there in 2 days if not. It's not cheap but to me it's worth it. It stores for more than a year too.
    I was trying to get something a little cheaper than the Rage but still better than Bondo and would prefer somewhere locally in case I do run out. Do you know approximately how much filler it would take to do 2 a-pillars I have only done sail panels in the past?

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by soundstreamer View Post
    I was trying to get something a little cheaper than the Rage but still better than Bondo and would prefer somewhere locally in case I do run out. Do you know approximately how much filler it would take to do 2 a-pillars I have only done sail panels in the past?
    I was going to say you could get true 3M filler from Napa but I don’t think it would be cheaper than Rage Gold.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blockrocker View Post
    Is painters tape an appropriate masking material for resin? Could I lay some tape on a surface, make a small resin/fiberglass sheet, and be able to separate it from the tape after it dries? Or is there another product I should use?
    I once saw aluminum foil was recommended and it did release pretty well for me, except for any spot where the foil wrinkled a little bit and the resin seeped into the folds and trapped the foil. So pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't use foil again on my next project!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.