Thread: What's the best for a convertible?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the best for a convertible?

I have an old school project and I'm about ready to start designing my stereo.

I've gotten conflicting info from friends as far as what would be best for this truck.

It's a 86 Mazda B2000, and I'm looking to put the subs in the bed and make it a blow through (and seal it off with an accordion boot).

The truck is a convertible, and I've had friends tell me that a sealed box would be better, and some say a ported box would be better. I am looking at (4) 10" JL Audio Subs, (only because 12's would be too tall. My plan is a double wedge design, and I am seriously considering a clear viewing window to see the interior of the box.

I also prefer music from the 80's. So it will be mostly hair bands, Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella... etc.. not so much rap.

Any advice is appreciated, but please explain why you think one type of box is better.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: What's the best for a convertible?

I think you could fit 12's if you angled them back a bit. I had several buddies that had Mazda and Yota lowriders back in the day.

Are you looking for a sound quality system, or are you just looking for volume while cruising? If you're just wanting volume, I'd look at pro audio drivers.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I did a pair of Rockford HE2 10" in a pair of sealed enclosures, on each side of the trunk - "back in the day" - in a 91 Mustang LX Convertible. Had amazing output, all the time.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MZDROSA View Post
    I also prefer music from the 80's. So it will be mostly hair bands, Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella... etc..
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/