Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle build - long range 6.5PRC.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

New rifle build - long range 6.5PRC.

Ok, so some of the guys here are into guns, I've always been a AR guy and I like to build my own - which is really just assembly, but anyways. Allows for ultra customization.

So this new build is going to be for long distance precision. It is being built around a specific loaded round. Right now have Gunwerks brass, Hornady 147-grain ELD-M bullets. For those unfamiliar with the PRC, think of it as a 6.5 Creedmoor magnum. Slightly larger case, more powder, more speed - easily reaching 3,000 FPS. 1000 yards is a cakewalk, out to a mile (1760 yards) is fairly doable for a good shooter. This rifle should ultimately be quite capable of mile-plus distance.

Here we go:

This will be built on a custom action in a Remington 700 long action pattern. The Creedmoor is a short action, and the PRC can be fit in a short action, too, just barely. But I wanted the ability to be able to load longer bullets and rounds at some point. I went with a Defiance Deviant Tactical with a full-length integral 20MOA rail. They make an "XM" intermediate length action, but when researching the various chassis to go with it, I was pretty limited, and magazines were hard to find, too, so I went ahead with the long action. I just feel this will allow me more flexibility in the long run.

Defiance Deviant Tactical Rem 700 long action (nitrided action and bolt)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200213_211413-X2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	9521

Next is the barrel - Bartlein .264 5R heavy palma

Name:	20200114_174323-X2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	9522

Just returned after coating and fluting:

Name:	20200229_110126-X2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	9523

The chassis - two options here, still trying to decide between them, both are in hand, the winner gets mounted, the other gets sold.

MasterPiece Arms BA Competition chassis

Name:	20200201_122819-X2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	9524

Cadex field Tactical chassis (FDE would be changed to probably black or tungsten metallic)

Name:	20200201_135152-X2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	9525

Trigger - TriggerTech Diamond

Name:	20200121_164111-X2.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	9526

Muzzle device - Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 7.62 (.30 cal) QD muzzle brake suppressor mount

Name:	20200129_191941-X2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	9528

Brass & bullets:

Name:	20200127_192215-X2.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	9529

Name:	20200131_123523-X2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	9530

Can't even tell you what I've spent on reloading supplies to this point. Ugh. Precision handloading will be done with a K&M arbor press and L.E. Wilson seater die. Have a Redding full length Type S resizing die with floating .292 bushing for neck sizing and carbide internal neck sizing button. Did some brass today and loaded a couple of rounds with an arbor press after resizing the brass and uniforming the necks on an RCBS Summit, ended up with neck tensions between 1-2 thousandths of an inch. Pretty nice.

Optics are still pending. I decided to try out a new company called Arken Optics. Ordered one of their EP-4 6-24x50 scopes that is held up coming from China with all the corona virus BS. I didn't want to drop $1500-2000 on a scope out of the gate. The Arken will get me out to 1000 yards pretty easily, we'll see if it will suffice for longer distance than that. If not, a Vortex Razor HD, a Zeiss or a S&B may be in the works later.

Anyways, that's what has usurped a lot of my time and DEFINITELY ALL of my funds lately!

<edit> Oh, and for a bipod, I'll probably go with an Atlas, but I've held off for now waiting to decide which chassis, as the mounting requirements determine which model I will order. They are rock solid and much stronger than a Harris.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New rifle build - long range 6.5PRC.

A long-distance range gun is definitely one I want to buy to go to the local long distance range and try to become a good shot at 1,000 yards plus. I’d like a more low-profile look such as a Remington 700 type that is precise with some of the parts you’re including but a very low profile design. I’ll definitely be following along your build though I have no clue when I’ll ever be able to afford one based on life’s current priorities. Looks great so far.
    Last edited by dgage; 02-29-2020 at 08:32 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I prefer the looks of the Cadex...but after holding it, I might prefer the vertical grip of the MasterPiece Arms

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Danny

I agree. The Cadex is cool as all hell. I was very surprised, though, when I held the MPA how much I really like the vertical pistol grip. It is extremely comfortable and has an integrated thumb shelf to keep your thumb on the palm side of the grips, so you don't wrap around and grip it with your thumb like we're all used to. It's incredibly comfortable. Both chassis will accept AR-style grips, so that grip is interchangeable, but when I put it on the Cadex and tried it out, it doesn't generate the same ergonomics. Don't get me wrong, it is ok, but on the Cadex, something is different - I think the chassis itself is just slightly wider and it keeps the trigger finger in just a slightly different position, and it's not quite as 'natural' feeling as the same grip on the MPA.

Man, I love the Cadex, though... <sigh>.

Another note is that the Cadex will require some modification if I keep it. I'll have to have a slot cut out of the top of the handguard, as it doesn't sit back far enough - the integral rail of the Defiance action interferes, so it'll have to be cut out to allow the front of the rail to slide into it. It's not a major problem, just one more small headache. And again, I don't care for the color as much, so that'll have to be coated.

First world problems, I know.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Noob

Oh thats real nice, tagged for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by tRidiot View Post
    Ordered one of their EP-4 6-24x50 scopes that is held up coming from China with all the corona virus BS. I didn't want to drop $1500-2000 on a scope out of the gate.

Name:	chineseair_jpg-1294422.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	9534

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep us posted.
    I'm not a gun collector... but I sure think they are cool as heck!

I love the look of a cool gun. Especially custom-assembled automatics.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

7. Back To Top    #7

Cool build! Never heard of the Arken before - do you know how they fare compared to the Vortex 6-24? IIRC, PSA used the Vortex on their 6.5 creedmoor mile club rifle.

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, not familiar with the 6.5 PRC. Any idea how it is compared to a 338 lapua? I've been wanting to get one for a while now!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Danny

Well the Arken is brand new and I haven't gotten mine yet. They use ED Japanese glass (ED, not HD, the ED is even better), have extremely solid clicky turrets and guarantee 99.9% tracking, unconditionally along with a lifetime warranty as well. Several people with lots of experience and whom are extremely extremely picky have cautiously stated they feel they punch WELL above their price point, perhaps as much as 3x higher. This would put it well into the range of the Vortex Vipers and possibly into the Razors. So, we will see.

As for the 6.5PRC, it is built to be an ultra long range hunting/target cartridge. This takes the medium weight, high ballistic coefficient bullets being used in the 6.5 Creedmoor and pushes them 200-300FPS faster, easily reaching 3000 FPS out of some 24" barrels. Mine should end up around 28 or 29" after it's all said and done. This round performs much better than the venerable .308. As for the .338 Lapua, that is what I was looking at building initially. For hunting the .338 will have more knockdown and kill power out at 1000 yards, but the number of people who are (or should be) shooting at large animals at that range in North America is ridiculously small. Responsible hunting. For me, this is a paper puncher. Ballistically, though, in terms of speeds, trajectory, etc., they are very similar - with the 6.5PRC having only minimally more recoil than a Creedmoor.

There is a .300PRC, as well, if you're really looking to take down bear or moose literally at 1000 yards.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jose
    Vehicle
    VW Passat Wagon

That MA Chassis does look good and got good reviews.. Same as the CADEX..

I was just about to ask about the .300PRC vs 6.5PRC, uncle sam just picked up the barrett rifle in .300PRC..

I just glaced at the Arken site, wondering if they will come out with something in the 1-10x range..