Thread: Help support independent speaker testing

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Lightbulb Help support independent speaker testing

I'm hoping the we, as a community, could help out Erin Hardison (erinh) in his endeavor to get back into independent speaker testing. He's not being sponsored by anyone, he's simply doing it out of love for the hobby, and he's paying for it out of his own pocket. I know he has asked for donations, but asking for money is hard to do...especially when you're as humble as Erin. He already has the equipment en route, and he's going to be building a testing room in his attic. I know the equipment alone is uber-expensive, and I'm sure he's going to do the testing space up right, because he's anal *snickers*

So what's the big deal about speaker testing? As we all know, not all companies give out proper parameters on their drivers. Some companies advertise "wishful thinking" numbers, where as some give out no numbers at all, but just tell how big to build the box. Seeing real data helps you determine if a driver is right for your situation, and also if it's a good value. Furthermore, it helps keep the manufacturers honest...if several drivers from company X perform much differently that the advertised parameters, it makes you question the company's truthfulness for the rest of its line. Some drivers might be a diamond in the rough, where others turn out to be highly-polished bantha poodoo.

So in general, I wanted to start this thread as a rally cry, asking the forum members to donate a few bucks to Erin's project. By helping him, we're helping the audio community as whole.

Donate Here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help support independent speaker testing

Al, man, I really am thankful to have a friend like you. I appreciate the help in trying to raise some awareness here.

I do want to make clear that while the dedicated test space in my attic is my goal, without *significant* contributions I don't see it becoming a reality. I've already spent thousands on the measurement equipment. I figure the attic conversion would be $3-4k in materials alone (wood, insulation, some wiring). So I just wanted to make that clear so people don't get upset when they see me testing in my garage again. But if any of you happen to live near me and are a general contractor and can help me make it a reality then by all means, let's do this.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I'm sure we'll find a way to make the testing room a reality

4. Back To Top    #4

One can hope.

Heck, I still haven't found and purchased an amplifier for testing yet.

But, yea, the dedicated space would be ideal. If we lived in a mild climate I wouldn't need to worry about walling it off and insulating it and running HVAC to it. Might be cheaper to move. LOL

Follow my blog:

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

I know Erin's research and testing have been a huge asset to me in learning about what makes one speaker better then others, as well as, how to pick the correct speaker for an application. The industry needs this kind of thing, bad!! So I am happy to support Erin in any way that I can. Just a few small donations can add up to a huge difference. Plus, since I may not be able to offer much in the way of knowledge to places like this (so much experience in one place), I figure a few bucks here and there is a nice way to give something back to the community.
    Thanks Erin!!

6. Back To Top    #6

One of my car audio buddies also set up this GoFundMe page here which I thought was wicked cool of him to do so if you'd rather support that way than through PayPal here's the link:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-har....cp+share-sheet

If not, no big deal. I get it... we all got bills. But if you can help out, I appreciate it.

Follow my blog: