Thread: Amp adjusment

1. Back To Top    #1

Amp adjusment

Hi

I have 69 Camaro with aftermarket radio, alpine PDR-V75 amp, 2 front alpine speakers 6.5 inch 2 ways-100rms each-R type, 2 alpine rear speakers 6*9 R type- 2 ways-100rms each, and rear alpine 10 inch subwoofer-s type-4 ohm. I have bass remote and the radio look like a stock radio (not many features) just treble and bass. How to adjust the amp?? I know how to adjust the gain, but having problem with HP filter and crossover fro channels 1-2 and 3-4. And since it is a 5 channels amp i am also having trouble setting the sub-sonic, crossover, and Bass EQ. It is a ported small box, do not know if i should make a sealed box? I listen to pop, classic, country music

Opinion

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amp adjusment

For the high-pass, you probably want to set them near 80Hz to keep your 6.5” speakers from trying to play deeper frequencies that tax them too much. You could and should play with it to see what sounds best so maybe try through 75-100. And the front/rear don’t necessarily need to match so try the, with different settings. Or start with the rear off completely, set what sounds good for the front, then bring in the rears to set.

For the sub, a subsonic filter is to protect a driver from playing deep bass that might damage the driver. For a ported sub, this is just below port tune. Do you know the tuning frequency of the port for your subwoofer enclosure? If not, you could try 30-35 and see if that changes the subwoofer’s sound any. I wouldn’t go much below 30 with a 10” ported sub though with 300w, that is safe power for the sub. Crossover for the sub should be between 75-100 and just select what sounds best to you.

3. Back To Top    #3

1- I have an on/off switch for the HP filter for the 1-2 and 3-4 channels. Should i turn it on or leave it off??
    2- How about the "Bass EQ"??
    3- I custom the sub box and mount it in the rear deck. Do not know about the frequency. Somebody told me to close the port with silicone. Do not know if i should close the port or leave it?? It is an inch port.

This is my first time to set up an amplifier and I have been watching youtube videos, but did not understand how to do it.

4. Back To Top    #4

1. On/off let’s you bypass. In your case, I’d enable a high-pass, otherwise your front/rear speakers will try to play deep bass waves meant for a sub.

2. Get everything else set before you enable it and adjust to see what sounds best.

3. You gave no information about the sub enclosure so I have no opinion. My post related to the subsonic filter stands, try 35-30 to protect the sub driver.

5. Back To Top    #5

In my case, do you recommend sealed box or ported?? Mounted to the rear deck in the center

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

If the box sounds good as it is, I would leave it. Some people really like sealed, some really like ported. What sounds good to us might not sound good to you. You’ll get a little extra output with it being ported.

I looked up pics of your amp and I think I can help you set up the crossovers. Turn the HP Filter for Ch 1-2 & 3-4 ON. Now turn the crossover dials up to 160 (I’m pretty sure that was one of the numbers on the amp). Now, playing just the front speakers (disconnect all the other RCAs if necessary) turn your volume up to its full undistorted output. Start turning the crossover dial down until the bass starts to distort the front speakers (I’ll bet it’ll probably be in the 65-80Hz range). Now turn the crossover back UP slowly until there is no more distortion. Your crossover is now set. Repeat for the rear speakers (remember to disconnect the fronts). If you take note of the crossover frequency of the F&R speakers, you can use that as a starting point for the sub crossover as well. As far as subsonic, very few ported boxes are tuned below 30Hz, so as mentioned above that’s probably a very good starting point there as well. There really isn’t much information below that anyway. If there is a “bass EQ” as you mentioned I’d leave it off... at least for now.