Thread: Open Baffle Design

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    2008 Tundra CM

Open Baffle Design

Hey all, I have several sets of dual concentric and point source drivers I've tested and played with over the years and want to try to build an open baffle for them to use in my listening space.
    Has anyone ever done this?
    Are there any tricks or secrets I should know about?
    Ive got the following drivers to use
    Tannoy 6"
    Tannoy 8"
    TB W8's
    Dayton PS220's
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    H-

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Open Baffle Design

I haven’t done them but have heard several at shows and read extensively about them. The one thing you’ll need is cone area and a relatively clean/uncluttered room for them to sound their best. Cone area because they don’t make as much midbass/bass as an enclosed driver and an uncluttered room so you don’t get a lot of waves bouncing around or you’ll get quite a bit of cancelation down low. For the midbass side, I’d try using multiple 8” speakers or step up to a 12” or even 15” midbass. The speakers I heard had dedicated high frequency drivers but I don’t see why you couldn’t build an open-baffle line array.
    Last edited by dgage; 02-28-2020 at 04:09 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3

Danny Ritchie, GR Research is all things open baffle.
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    2008 Tundra CM

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I havenít done them but have heard several at shows and read extensively about them. The one thing youíll need is cone area and a relatively clean/uncluttered room for them to sound their best. Cone area because they donít make as much midbass/bass as an enclosed driver and an uncluttered room so you donít get a lot of waves bouncing around or youíll get quite a bit of cancelation down low. For the midbass side, Iíd try using multiple 8Ē speakers or step up to a 12Ē or even 15Ē midbass. The speakers I heard had dedicated high frequency drivers but I donít see why you couldnít build an open-baffle line array.
    So what Id like to try is a single driver on a baffle to start then maybe expand to multiple drivers on a baffle if this works in the room.
    I have a 12Ē sub that will cover the lower octaves so if I can get down to 100hz that would be optimum I think. I know the Tannoyís will do it easily itís just making the proper baffle for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk