Page 36 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus fears hammer markets - how far will it go?

1. Back To Top    #351

Re: Coronavirus fears hammer markets - how far will it go?

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    If science needs a new experiment, I've not had an egg in 2 weeks now. Might start chasing some of the birds around tomorrow.
    Speaking of which, I haven't really heard much about how COVID-19 affects animals. Do other animals get and spread COVID-19? Are we going to have to worry about our food supply next (or now)?

2. Back To Top    #352

Only heard of two dogs with covid-19. The first one was a dog with traces found on the face/body/fur because a dog is near ground. This was in asia. Some other news media reported it as big news .. dog with virus! Then some medical expert(s) came to a conclusion that dogs can't have this particular virus (due to dog's genetic composition) other than whatever is stuck on the external/fur (animals have other internal types of viruses). The second report was another dog and by now this news didn't get any traction. Be sure to shower the pets too

Eggs back in stock in here. Bought a double-tray pack from Costco a few days ago. Chicken back in stock too at some places. While it was out of stock, the costco CFO in a meeting/call said each chicken takes 7 weeks to grow and we can't hurry them lol. (The science guys here will already know this is fast... it used to take longer in the old days before there was any animal/food science.)

3. Back To Top    #353

Looks like by Easter we will be O.K.

4. Back To Top    #354

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    Only heard of two dogs with covid-19. The first one was a dog with traces found on the face/body/fur because a dog is near ground. This was in asia. Some other news media reported it as big news .. dog with virus! Then some medical expert(s) came to a conclusion that dogs can't have this particular virus (due to dog's genetic composition) other than whatever is stuck on the external/fur (animals have other internal types of viruses). The second report was another dog and by now this news didn't get any traction. Be sure to shower the pets too

Eggs back in stock in here. Bought a double-tray pack from Costco a few days ago. Chicken back in stock too at some places. While it was out of stock, the costco CFO in a meeting/call said each chicken takes 7 weeks to grow and we can't hurry them lol. (The science guys here will already know this is fast... it used to take longer in the old days before there was any animal/food science.)
    While I certainly don't want cats and dogs to die from this either, I was mainly talking about animals that we use in our food chain - chickens, cows, fish, etc, etc, etc... I'm just wondering if they can even get the virus and if so, if it can be passed on to humans when we eat them. :-) I don't know - and haven't researched it at all, if the virus can even survive long enough to be passed on to humans this way (by eating other animals) - or if those animals can even get the virus at all. Since I haven't heard anything about it, I'm assuming it's a non-issue, but just thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

5. Back To Top    #355

Quote Originally Posted by mlekk View Post
    Not a prayer, More like end of April/beginning of may, if, and it’s a big if... the USA behaves and gives this virus the respect it should be getting, otherwise it will spiral until it does, and then it’s three weeks after that point when it will slowly Peter out

Modeling the virus underscores why epidemiologists emphasize that this is not the flu and why we should not expect a return to normal within weeks.
    One gauge of a virus is how contagious it is. The flu has an infectiousness measure (or R0) of only about 1.5, meaning that each sick person infects on average 1.5 others. In contrast, Covid-19 without social distancing appears to have an R0 of perhaps 2.5.
    A second gauge of a virus is how often infected people must be hospitalized. With the seasonal flu that’s roughly 1 percent; with the coronavirus, estimates range from 5 percent to 20 percent.
    A higher R0 and higher hospitalization rate conspire to wreak havoc. A single person with the flu can result in the infections of 386 other people over two months, and a handful would be hospitalized. But in that same period one Covid-19 patient could lead to the infections of 99,000 people, of whom nearly 20,000 might need to be hospitalized.
    A third measure is lethality, the “case fatality rate,” or percentage of people who contract an illness who eventually die of it. For the flu, this is about 0.1 percent. For Covid-19, there are enormous uncertainties but even in optimal circumstances it may be 10 times greater, roughly 1 percent – although it has been much higher than that in countries like Italy with older populations and overburdened hospitals.
    It’s not the flu, take this seriously or you will kill each other massively! Your country needs you to act now

6. Back To Top    #356

7. Back To Top    #357

Jtrosky, I have not heard of any from food, even the raw type of food/dishes. Also the experts said we can kill it at around 60C/140F. So the meat we eat should be fine after cooking.

8. Back To Top    #358

And no... it's not from bat soup or civets!
    (I think that was some propaganda to deflect the true origin of this virus.)

9. Back To Top    #359

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    Jtrosky, I have not heard of any from food, even the raw type of food/dishes. Also the experts said we can kill it at around 60C/140F. So the meat we eat should be fine after cooking.
    Ok, that is good to know - because I love eating some red meat (cooked, of course!)! :-)

10. Back To Top    #360

Quote Originally Posted by mlekk View Post
    An arbitrary goal set by a politician - not science. I hope it's the case, but it may be ambitious.