Page 119 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1493

Thread: Coronavirus fears hammer markets - how far will it go?

1. Back To Top    #1181

Re: Coronavirus fears hammer markets - how far will it go?

2. Back To Top    #1182

you folks here who are retailers...where do your goods come from?

3. Back To Top    #1183

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    you folks here who are retailers...where do your goods come from?

4. Back To Top    #1184
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

The city I work in (under 70k population) has several plastics manufacturers. I work for a smaller one, but we have Pactiv and Wilson Art making stuff here.

5. Back To Top    #1185
    Vehicle
    Nissan Cube - VW T4

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I know, thousands of our oldest population dead as a result of the virus and even more younger people now dead as a result of the after effects of the shutdown itself and looking at countries like Sweden that didn’t shut down, or lock down, it looks like the the mitigation efforts didn’t actually help much at all.
    I don't know where this misconception that Sweden is doing ok or better than anyone else by not shutting down is coming from, but they have nothing more to show for their tactic than a extreme death toll compared (300-500% more) to neighboring countries. Economy is down, unemployment is up, and the goal to reach herd immunity (70-90% of the population) is so far off that it's basically unreachable. The latest studies show that the immunity percentage (people who have developed antibodies after being infected) in the hardest hit areas is about 7%.

I don't think Fox News will ever report on it (and no use posting links to any other news source on here it seems), but look up what the National bank of Sweden (Riksbank) has calculated on Swedens economy compared to the rest of Europe that is or has been on lockdown.

6. Back To Top    #1186

Quote Originally Posted by jettyman View Post
    You are delusional if you think China is our ally. They are a communist gov't. Hell bent on world domination and the killing of religious, homosexual and opposing ideologies. Get a clue man and grow up already
    You don't want them to go away - really.

They make all our computers, phones, TVs, stereos, power tools, batteries, cables, car audio, and everything else that enables modern society. We like that because all the nasty stuff that comes along with it stays in the east...the low wages, environmental pitfalls, all the ugly stuff...that's all done somewhere else. We could bring all that back here. But you wouldn't want to see it. And you can't afford it.

Yeah, Americans can manufacture shit with the best of them. But American labor is expensive. Really expensive. Do you really want to pay $4,000 for your next 55" TV? You will if we start making all our stuff here.

7. Back To Top    #1187

I'd gladly pay more for American-made stuff. In fact, I already go out of my way to buy American, even when it's more expensive. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

8. Back To Top    #1188

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I'd gladly pay more for American-made stuff. In fact, I already go out of my way to buy American, even when it's more expensive. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.
    Oh, I do too. I've been going out of my way to buy American for decades. But some things are just out of reach. I'd like to own a US made bike (err, a modern one - I own several older ones made here), but I can't drop 10 grand on a single bicycle just to say it was made in the USA. And even then, the components aren't made here.

American vehicles, while they have gotten better, are still not made here. They may be assembled here, but they use parts and materials from around the globe.

The 'all American' ship has sailed. Long ago. I applaud you for buying American, or at least trying, but don't be fooled by thinking that because you're shopping at Walmart that you're supporting your neighbors. A truly altruistic approach will be both foolhearty and unapproachable for most. Not to say that it can't be done, but it will likely be more effort and resources that most can realize.

9. Back To Top    #1189

That's the thing - the more manufacturing we move back to the US, the more competition and the more the prices would come down. Trump is doing what he can to move manufacturing back to the US. We should not be relying on China for our medications, for example - or anything else, IMO. The democrats just say "it can't be done" or "it will never happen". Trump actually gets it done - even with the democrats fighting him the whole way.

The Chinese aren't magical. Their stuff is cheaper for multiple reasons - such as a) a lot of it is complete junk and b) they also employ a lot of "slave labor". We shouldn't be supporting either of those things, IMO.

I truly believe that we can, and should, manufacture a lot more here in the US - and end up with better products while employing more Americans and not supporting Chinas slave-labor in the process.

To this day, I've never purchased a car from a foreign company - and never will as long as there are American car companies. I can't control where they assemble the cars, but I *can* control whether I give my money to an American company or a foreign company.

10. Back To Top    #1190