Thread: Updated Time Alignment Calculator and explanation video

1. Back To Top    #1

Updated Time Alignment Calculator and explanation video

I recently updated my site to include the Time Delay calculator previously on tracerite.com and added both Temperature and Humidity inputs so you can get time delay values with ambient conditions. In order to kick that off I made a short(ish) video on Time Alignment, what it is and how to use it along with how to use my site. Most of you will already know what you're doing but I wanted it to be a way for newcomers to get an idea of what it is. Hope you all find the video and/or updated site useful. And another thank you to Robert McIntosh for his help with the calculator.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/timedelaycalc/

-- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Updated Time Alignment Calculator and explanation video

Tell Layla that uncle Al said good job on the music

That's an awesome explanation of T/A and amplitude, thanks for posting it up. I'm curious how far you have to move out of the "sweet spot" before you start noticing major changes to your phantom image.

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent post / video.

Thanks Erin
    New Car... Stock Stereo

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Great, great stuff! Thanks for another quality contribution.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Tell Layla that uncle Al said good job on the music
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor.gif 
Views:	311 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	9501

Follow my blog:

6. Back To Top    #6

Good stuff - thank you!

Ok, stupid question time... :-)

1. When measuring the distances, do you measure to the "center point" of your listening position (center of head) from all speakers or is it better to measure from the left speakers to your left ear and the right speakers to your right ear?
    2. For those of us that like rear speakers, should we do anything "special" for the rear speaker delays or just use the actual distance?
    3. For those of us with under-seat subwoofers, should we do anything "special" being that the sub is very close to us - or just use the actual distance?

Thanks again - appreciate your work!!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Great refresher Erin and I'm glad you brought up the disclaimer for the crossover dependent time alignment. I've had it work great but I've also had it work not so great and ended up just doing the midbass by ear. For whatever reason dedicated midbass speakers can be a real bear to get dialed in.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Good stuff - thank you!

Ok, stupid question time... :-)

1. When measuring the distances, do you measure to the "center point" of your listening position (center of head) from all speakers or is it better to measure from the left speakers to your left ear and the right speakers to your right ear?
    2. For those of us that like rear speakers, should we do anything "special" for the rear speaker delays or just use the actual distance?
    3. For those of us with under-seat subwoofers, should we do anything "special" being that the sub is very close to us - or just use the actual distance?

Thanks again - appreciate your work!!
    1) Center of your head is fine
    2) You don't have to do anything. But I would still add additional delay (whatever is appropriate to get the rear 'fill' effect; usually 10-20ms is typical in car audio; but I'd recommend more if you can)
    3) Use actual distance

Speed of sound only cares about distance. The only reason I have the crossover stuff is to use time delay to try to act like a variable phase adjustment but that isn't really the best way. The best way is to set delays by distance and then use an all-pass filter or variable phase to correct for phase alignment.

Follow my blog: