Thread: Sealing mid range speakers

1. Back To Top    #1

Sealing mid range speakers

I asked this question on DIYMA once and didn't really get a satisfactory answer.
    Generally if I model a mid-range, it seems that an enclosure makes no difference when you are crossing well above FS.
    So in a typical automobile install where I want to run it 300Hz and above, does enclosing (sealing) it make a difference vs venting it into the a-pillar or down into the dash with a nice load of foam ?
    For example I have mine in large pods, the pod is not airtight, but the backwave has to travel through the back of the pod down into the a-pillar and dash and I have a lot of acoustic foam stuffed back in there.
    In my car they are dash mounted (up firing) and vent through an impenetrable mass of air ducts, wiring, and structure. In both cases they are crossed above 300.
    Most high end installs I've seen do seal them up and try to get even as much as 1 liter for a 4-5".

Is there something to be gained by sealing my mids given the frequency range used ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Sealing mid range speakers

I think realistically, only if you plan on crossing them lower, or trying to get the most bass response. If you're using them as a midrange in the intended frequency band, can't see where a pod or enclosure is beneficial.

Unless you're using a home audio driver, and trying to protect it from elements that they are not designed to withstand.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

You have to be careful sealing up midranges because it's easy to give them too small of an enclosure which will cause them to "ring". At least that's my experience.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also asked the question on diyma and was told about backwaves being reflected into the cone.

I believe in pro audio circles there are mids with actual sealed backs, the metal basket is actually sealed? So I guess it's driver dependent, and maybe just need to try it?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by VX220 View Post
    I also asked the question on diyma and was told about backwaves being reflected into the cone.

I believe in pro audio circles there are mids with actual sealed backs, the metal basket is actually sealed? So I guess it's driver dependent, and maybe just need to try it?
    I used to run sealed-back mids back in the early 90s, but they were made by Pyle...and boy did they sound like a "pile"! HAHAHAHA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cueball981 View Post
    I used to run sealed-back mids back in the early 90s, but they were made by Pyle...and boy did they sound like a "pile"! HAHAHAHA
    Yeah, however good or bad their product is, they were always going to get that!

7. Back To Top    #7

In an ideal world I would always endeavor to seal them, but I've been stuffing things into dashboard locations lately and its just impossible to find the room to do it properly. I could pull the windshield and get in there with fiberglass but I also don't think I could get them in and out of there once that was done. I really admired the little acrylic sealed pods AudioX put in Erin's Honda, but those are also very small midranges that need very little space and they did of course not only pull the windshield but the whole damn dash board as well.