Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" midrange recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

4" midrange recommendations

4" midrange recommendations
    I'm looking for recommendations for a 4" midrange that does well in a relatively small enclosure (my intentions are to use Versa-Pods, which appear to be on the small side).* The midrange will be used in a 3 way controlled by an Alpine PXA-H800.* The Versa-Pods will be mounted on the dash near the A pillars, with the midranges on axis.* I have no intention to vent them to anything.* I'd like to be able to use them from 200 hz (but not opposed to crossing them higher at 400 / 500) to 6 khz.

Currently, my mishmashed setup of speakers includes 6.5" Focal mids from the PS 165 FX set mounted in the lower doors, Pioneer tweeters from the Stage 4 Reference Series set in the sails, and AF GB25's mounted on the A pillars on axis.* I just recently added the GB25's, replacing the midranges from the Pioneer set.* The GB25's seem to be detailed, and get loud, but they tend to scream at higher volume levels.* This is with a lowish 40 watts on each of them.* I've tried lowering the levels on them considerably, but they seem to lose that detail that I like about them.* I'm sure I could do a lot more eq work to get the sound that I'm looking for, but I'd prefer something that takes less adjustments.

I guess the sound that I would be looking for is laid back, but gets effortlessly loud, if there is such a thing.

My budget is about $500 for the pair.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 4" midrange recommendations

Maybe check into the AudioFrog GB40's or the Scan 12M's or work on tuning the GB25's more. All 3 are excellent.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

What is your crossover set at?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
    Maybe check into the AudioFrog GB40's or the Scan 12M's or work on tuning the GB25's more. All 3 are excellent.
    I've thought about both of those, and think they would be what I'm looking for in terms of sound, but the large enclosure size (or in an infinite baffle application) for the GB40 would be an issue. I'm not sure what the requirements are for the 12M, but the 4.5" is a bit larger than I would like to go. I'd love to hear both of these in vehicles to determine if I want to put that much effort (more like money) for installation, but unfortunately there's hardly anyone into car audio anymore where I live.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    What is your crossover set at?
    The GB25's are high passed at 500hz, 24 db/octave and low passed at 5.6khz, 24 db/octave. Midbass from 80 to 500, 24db/octave. And I left a bit of a gap between the midrange and tweeter, which is high passed at 6.3khz, 24 db/octave. I've tried playing the GB25's lower, but so far have preferred them at 500hz in my application.

6. Back To Top    #6

12m will want more airspace than the versa-pod will provide anyway. Consider a 2.5-3” mid instead, or expect to cross the midrange much higher, like 350-500hz.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

You’re low pass is too high on those and you are into speaker beaming. It makes a difference even if they are on axis because of the reflected sounds bouncing all over and becoming different from the direct sound. If your tweeter can safely handle it you should lower the midrange LP close to 3k 24 db LR4 and make the tweeter HP match the midrange LP 24 db LR4. I’m assuming you’re using a microphone and RTA with a proven tuning process to tune these and that all your speakers are actually in phase or you’ll be chasing your tail forever.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That's honestly why I asked ^^^ when first experimenting with a 3-way setup, I kept crossing between 5-6kHz too, until Glenn told me to try 3kHz. Thought to myself, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a midrange? Until he explained the main point, was for it to just cover that area where a woofer and tweeter typically struggle to meet.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    That's honestly why I asked ^^^ when first experimenting with a 3-way setup, I kept crossing between 5-6kHz too, until Glenn told me to try 3kHz. Thought to myself, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a midrange? Until he explained the main point, was for it to just cover that area where a woofer and tweeter typically struggle to meet.
    This^. I have my gb25's lowpassed at 4k LR4 due to tweeter limitations and they need to be lowpassed lower than that because things get strange above about 3k with a 2.5" mid in my dash locations. Just because a speaker can play cleanly on axis in a perfect environment doesn't mean it will do that in a terrible "room" known as a car interior. In car audio you're tuning more for the environment that you are the speaker itself. This is what gets so many home audio people in a tizzy when they try to expand into car audio. They're afraid to do any real tuning because from my observations it's considered taboo in the hifi home audio world to use much if any eq. If you try to tune a car audio system by swapping speakers you're going to end up broke and defeated in a hurry. And install is everything.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

GB25's in my car now mated to GB10's and GB60's are crossed at 350 to 3500 Hz LR4 with no issue.. I recently bumped it from 300-3600 to 350-3500 to attempt to remove some of the bandwidth burden from them and I think just that 50hz highpass change made a world of difference.

I do still think about a pair of 12M's or 12MU occasionally. Or possibly doing something absolutely crazy and different.. AP NZ3 maybe, or the Ganesha (point-source/coaxial/whatever ya call it)

https://www.slaacoustics.com/collect...udible-physics
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did