Thread: Newbie DSP question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie DSP question

I am not sure how to wire-up to get desired results. Most head units have front/rear/sub outputs. The plan it to have active front stage with sub. using a 5 channel amp. Would you only use one set of outputs on the head unit into the dsp then use the dsp outputs to the amp inputs?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie DSP question

I have seen it done a few ways. You can run just the front output only or what i think many people choose is run two outputs, front and sub. the advantage to using the sub out on your head unit is that most head units offer an independent level adjustment for the sub out which can be used for on the fly adjustment without needing a separate controller or bass knob.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tfunk182 View Post
    I am not sure how to wire-up to get desired results. Most head units have front/rear/sub outputs. The plan it to have active front stage with sub. using a 5 channel amp. Would you only use one set of outputs on the head unit into the dsp then use the dsp outputs to the amp inputs?
    Yes. Generally speaking one pair of RCA's from HU pre-out to the DSP inputs are enough (provided they are full range signal).

If you are particular and want to use the fader on the HU, then you'll need to run two pairs of RCA's from the "Front" and "Rear" of the HU to the DSP input.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Fernpatch View Post
    I have seen it done a few ways. You can run just the front output only or what i think many people choose is run two outputs, front and sub. the advantage to using the sub out on your head unit is that most head units offer an independent level adjustment for the sub out which can be used for on the fly adjustment without needing a separate controller or bass knob.
    That makes more sense. Are 8 outputs enough if I want to do 3 way active front plus sub?

5. Back To Top    #5

That makes more sense. Are 8 outputs enough if I want to do 3 way active front plus sub?
    yes.
    2 for highs.
    2 for mids.
    2 for mid bass
    2 for sub(s)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2007 BMW E90 3-series

Newbie DSP question

You mentioned using a 5-ch amp, that won’t be enough for active 3-way + sub... is there another amp involved?

7. Back To Top    #7

nah, that was just if I wanted to expand in the future. I'll most likely just keep the stock look and 2 way front.