Thread: Quick one for helix ultra and brax dsp users...

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick one for helix ultra and brax dsp users...

If buying a laptop for tuning and all manner of fun be careful of the resolution! The window when open has a minimum preset size of 800 pixels, so my budget tuning 300 quid laptop simply won’t cut it anymore, the eq numbers don’t display at the bottom of the screen

mine is 768 (effectively the same as 720p) tall and so I can’t see the time warp bit at the bottom, nor can I view the frequency information, you can’t resize it slightly smaller, but you can stretch it bigger on higher resolutions

There is however a small workaround in windows 7, basically you can tell it there’s a projector it needs to connect to that’s not auto detectable, if you do this then position the number 2 screen above the main monitor screen in display settings you can then drag the helix window up slightly to view the frequencys, why helix have set it at this and not to size it to the default resolution I dont know, but that’s the workaround if anyone else has the issue

it doesn’t effect any of the other processors including the dsp pro 2 with its ten channel interface, that displays frequency and the clock just fine

if you have a 1280x800 screen you can just set it to auto hide the taskbar and it gets a full viewing also

I have emailed helix about this directly but have received nothing back as yet, see below for dsp.3, ultra and brax displays

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C8CB609-2C5D-498F-9442-F3ADEA99B5AE.jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	9555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49191552-0A70-4355-8184-CAE97B060564.jpeg 
Views:	162 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	9556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71FA8DEC-D77D-4F81-B6EF-68657BA63F99.jpeg 
Views:	196 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	9557

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Re: Quick one for helix ultra and brax dsp users...

I have been able to resize for any screen in the past, but I haven't had to for the last several versions of the software. Even my 10+ year old Dell 10" netbook still works fine.

It looks like you can still access everything but the reset button and the Time Machine, so at least you aren't really missing any valuable information if you can't get it to work on that machine.

I'll pass on the information.
    Doug Dobson

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't you just change the DPI setting in Windows to make everything smaller? It's been a while since I used Windows 7, so I can't remember how the scaling settings are laid out....

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Can't you just change the DPI setting in Windows to make everything smaller? It's been a while since I used Windows 7, so I can't remember how the scaling settings are laid out....
    I think the helix software is hard coded to be a minimum size and that’s determined by the resolution of the monitor I think... however if any pc wizards can find a way around other than me frigging my screen with a projector I’m all ears

I have also asked AF if there is a registry entry or some code I can swap to reduce the minimum height, it wouldn’t compromise the software in any way as my eye sight is pretty good for 42

in the mean time I have a 1080p laptop from the works pc department with windows 7 being built for tomorrow, but if I ever leave I’m stumped once more...

5. Back To Top    #5

Registry hack may work... edit... registry hack does work, it changes the entire monitors dpi, if I auto hide the taskbar and set a custom dpi in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and do exactly why the picture says (I had to create the REG_DWORD ‘LogPixels’ entry, and set it to 88 which is below what any windows settings allow as standard (96 is normal)

this works on my works Dell Latitude E5540 so I’m gonna try it on the HP I own also, I love a bit of win on a Wednesday... winning wednesdays! Woohoo!

ps I should add I’m not really a tech person and I managed it... but poking around the registry can seriously harm your PC and it’s functioning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0319A1B4-7C56-4DF4-86F3-B0C2C17288AC.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	590.4 KB 
ID:	9560  
    Last edited by dumdum; 03-04-2020 at 03:38 AM.

6. Back To Top    #6

And if I auto hide the task bar this is what she now looks like, I’ve put the regedit entry in view also... that’s a definite win
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	9562  

7. Back To Top    #7

And after rumbling how to get around it new software has come out... 4.65a is present and downloadable now... complete with resize bug fixed for twelve channel processors