Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinite Baffle - Cutting Seat Back

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Infinite Baffle - Cutting Seat Back

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    I would second this. I have a 14' sport sedan with a pair of 12's IB and I find it satisfactory. And that is on a measly shared 70W. I think you would be fine without cutting the back.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...t-Budget-Build
    Sweet budget build. So do you notice a large difference in output with seats up vs down? Did you do anything to seal the rear deck or did you leave the stock speakers in the deck and call it good?

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    Sweet budget build. So do you notice a large difference in output with seats up vs down? Did you do anything to seal the rear deck or did you leave the stock speakers in the deck and call it good?
    to be honest, i havent played it with the seats down. i may try that on the way home and report back. i didnt seal up the speaker holes in the rear deck. i watched a video on what all was needed to do it and i figured i ran a high chance of screwing something up or breaking something in hopes of a small benefit. i did make sure to seal the baffle really well with duct seal and any holes with deadener.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    In my old civic I cut out all of the metal in the rear seat's back. I never took before/after measurements, though. Makes me wonder if it was even necessary, TBH, but back then I just did stuff on a whim without thinking too much about whether or not I needed to.
    So when I did these EA 12" IB subs, I didn't, and have not since messed with anything to do with the rear seat. 08 Civic sedan. No response issues to report at all really. Appears to still deliver fairly clean low extension with plenty of authority up to 80 hz without a problem whatsoever.. It does roll off fast at about 90 or 100 hz or so, so that may be a product of firing through the seat... I really should remember to measure with seat down to compare it sometime. I've not had a lot of reason to consider such an intrusive mod to the seat back. My only gripes have been my own faults in properly making the rear deck quiet.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...ll=1#post34118
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

4. Back To Top    #14

Listening to my 12’s IB now and it is significantly different. Output has increased alot. I will say that it adds a more in your face chaos that im not sure i love. Full disclosure i didnt adjust anything other than drop the seats. And it may be the padding to the seat back that muffles some of the distortion i no doubt have with cheap equipment. Dont want to drive with them down showing subs to the whole world but i may need to come up with something. Ive seen people drill holes in the steel which may give more output and still soften some of my inconsistencies.
    Last edited by The A Train; 02-26-2020 at 05:46 PM.

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    One would think that if you buy a replacement then you'd have to be able to install the replacement. Which means it should also be removable. Remember, they assemble this stuff on factory floors. I wouldn't cut anything until you confirm that it can't simply be dismantled.
    You're right, probably not safe to assume its an easy swap. I should make sure it can be done before cutting. Assuming I would need to return to factory.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    Listening to my 12’s IB now and it is significantly different. Output has increased alot. I will say that it adds a more in your face chaos that im not sure i love. Full disclosure i didnt adjust anything other than drop the seats. And it may be the padding to the seat back that muffles some of the distortion i no doubt have with cheap equipment. Dont want to drive with them down showing subs to the whole world but i may need to come up with something. Ive seen people drill holes in the steel which may give more output and still soften some of my inconsistencies.
    Well maybe one of us will be brave enough to make some cuts

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    You're right, probably not safe to assume its an easy swap. I should make sure it can be done before cutting. Assuming I would need to return to factory.
    As many times as I've pulled my rear seats, I know at least in my Honda (08 Si), the rear seat is an absolute breeze to remove, so swapping would be a 10 minute operation.. Would take longer to remove the replacement from the packaging.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did