Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinite Baffle - Cutting Seat Back

1. Back To Top    #1

Infinite Baffle - Cutting Seat Back

I would like to run an IB sub setup in my new vehicle (2015 honda accord coupe) but I'm unsure if its a smart idea to cut the rear seat back. In previous vehicles w/ a 60/40 split rear seat I would lay down one of the rear seat sections. However, this vehicle the entire rear seat back is steel and does not have a split section that I can lower. Also, there is not a pocket arm rest in the center of the rear, like most sedans, which people commonly vent through.

• Can I remove a section of metal and vent through the foam/leather seat?
      • For low frequencies I think I would be fine...

• How much metal should I remove?
      • Some percentage of SD?

• Are there any safety concerns I should have when removing some of this metal?
      • passenger safety? (who actually has passengers in a coupe
      • I assume the function of steel is noise barrier and maybe some sort of fire barrier?

I'm having difficulties finding examples of other builds that have done this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Infinite Baffle - Cutting Seat Back

In my old civic I cut out all of the metal in the rear seat's back. I never took before/after measurements, though. Makes me wonder if it was even necessary, TBH, but back then I just did stuff on a whim without thinking too much about whether or not I needed to.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Nick

Ehhhhhh, I'm not sure I would.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I'd install it as-is and see how it performs. Then if not satisfied consider messing with the seats.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    In my old civic I cut out all of the metal in the rear seat's back. I never took before/after measurements, though. Makes me wonder if it was even necessary, TBH, but back then I just did stuff on a whim without thinking too much about whether or not I needed to.
    I did the same on my previous car. But I'm not ready to cut into this one yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

Food for thought, I can buy the steel seat back for $200

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...6-t3l-a01.html

7. Back To Top    #7

So as you can see here the rear deck is about 12 or 13 wide between the bracing.

seat up (this color combo is kinda fuggly in some lighting, should have went with black interior lol)

seat down, opening is about 27 inch wide at the bottom, 16 inches wide at the top, 30 inches wide in the middle, and 16 inches tall.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    I'd install it as-is and see how it performs. Then if not satisfied consider messing with the seats.
    I would second this. I have a 14' sport sedan with a pair of 12's IB and I find it satisfactory. And that is on a measly shared 70W. I think you would be fine without cutting the back.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...t-Budget-Build

9. Back To Top    #9

I’d have no issue cutting the seat back, it’s not structural, I’d probably take to it with a 4” hole cutter every 6” I reckon to make it perforated in front of the woofers, it’s not structural otherwise your car would collapse/twist if you had it down for long periods... back shelves are more structural and support the seat and rear window and form part of the crash structure... as for noise and fire resistance... you’ll be putting back far more 6” behind the seat than you will be removing
    Last edited by dumdum; 02-26-2020 at 07:06 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    Food for thought, I can buy the steel seat back for $200

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...6-t3l-a01.html

One would think that if you buy a replacement then you'd have to be able to install the replacement. Which means it should also be removable. Remember, they assemble this stuff on factory floors. I wouldn't cut anything until you confirm that it can't simply be dismantled.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/