Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Black Edition

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Black Edition

These doors aren't as hard to work with as the previous gen Ram. Most GOOD 6x9's won't even fit in the 4th gen because of that stupid window track support that can't be cut. I'd have the gs690's I used to own in my doors right now if they would have fit without serious modification.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    These doors aren't as hard to work with as the previous gen Ram. Most GOOD 6x9's won't even fit in the 4th gen because of that stupid window track support that can't be cut. I'd have the gs690's I used to own in my doors right now if they would have fit without serious modification.
    I agree, HB. These really are easy doors to pull apart and alter. My only beef is how terrible everything rattles. Going to take some serious time to deaden them properly.

3. Back To Top    #33

Looks like this will be a sweet build. I'm shortly starting mine on a 1500 Ram 1500 Sport (Crew Cab).

Just trying to figure out a few last things before I start. On your build, have you figured out how to fit those Audio Frog subs? And are you running new speaker wire or using existing?

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Any updates??

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by cueball981 View Post
    Any updates??
    Not many, unfortunately. I've actually removed the GB25 mids and swapped them for the NVX XSPTW tweeters that were in the Challenger a few years ago. Learning how this truck reacts to reflections and such. So far, detail has increased tremendously at low volumes, but is unbearable at higher ones. Just like the Challenger was. So I'm thinking upfiring tweeters just don't work in these severely sloped windshield automobiles. Definitely need to have higher frequencies on axis, where having mids firing up from the dash seem to work quite well.

Only other things so far were having the windows tinted, cut the factory muffler out and replaced with a Blastin' Bob's single chamber muffler, and picked up something sexy to haul around

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

For what it's worth, the 3.5" JBLs I'm using in the dash don't sound harsh at all at high volumes. Don't know what it is about these little guys, but they just do it and do it well in the dash locations. Obviously my time alignment will never be perfect since I can't bi-amp the mids and tweeters separately, but I'm pretty darn close to as good as I'm going to get them. I guarantee someone listening to them will never be able to tell I'm running coaxials. LOL!

I've been mulling it over whether to upgrade to a 3-way, but I'll be honest, it's a hard decision because I'm really happy with the results I'm getting from these discontinued, inexpensive (at the time I purchased them they were super cheap!) speakers.

Heck, I should send you a pair (I bought extras to have on-hand) so you can try them out!

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'll definitely consider that! Tried out some other various 2" and 3" fullranges I have on hand, and was quite surprised to find the midrange detail on the GB25 completely crushes any of the other full ranges in my collection, but of course upper end detail lacked on both. By swapping to the tweeters, get the upper end detail back, but end up with that harshness at high volumes mixed with what I consider lacking midrange. A coaxial with a laid back tweeter could very well be the perfect option, as you've discovered

Keep eyeballing shallow subs again to try and squeeze behind the rear seat in the factory spot. The JL 13TW5 and Arc SW 12D4 are front runners so far, but that SB Acoustics SW26DBAC76-3-DV 10" on sale at Madisound could be an option as well. Finally learning, it's not about picking a sub and making it work, but selecting your spot and available volume, then pick the right sub.

8. Back To Top    #38

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    I'll definitely consider that! Tried out some other various 2" and 3" fullranges I have on hand, and was quite surprised to find the midrange detail on the GB25 completely crushes any of the other full ranges in my collection, but of course upper end detail lacked on both. By swapping to the tweeters, get the upper end detail back, but end up with that harshness at high volumes mixed with what I consider lacking midrange. A coaxial with a laid back tweeter could very well be the perfect option, as you've discovered

Keep eyeballing shallow subs again to try and squeeze behind the rear seat in the factory spot. The JL 13TW5 and Arc SW 12D4 are front runners so far, but that SB Acoustics SW26DBAC76-3-DV 10" on sale at Madisound could be an option as well. Finally learning, it's not about picking a sub and making it work, but selecting your spot and available volume, then pick the right sub.
    chitty chitty bang bang .....man. I just found your build. looking good. i just sold a 02 single cab ram. i believe i like the all metal doors better. the enclosed plastic is a bitch to to get right. the nvx door baffles are good at sealing the front of the speaker to the door card. im trying use some foam right and it needs to be more solid. like the silicone on the nvx. I think i may order some or try and find a silicone cutting board. anyway i did pillars mine. never tried firing into the window. my dash was cracked all to hell. so I didn't even attempt to look. just threw a dash mat on it and called it good.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
    chitty chitty bang bang .....man. I just found your build. looking good. i just sold a 02 single cab ram. i believe i like the all metal doors better. the enclosed plastic is a bitch to to get right. the nvx door baffles are good at sealing the front of the speaker to the door card. im trying use some foam right and it needs to be more solid. like the silicone on the nvx. I think i may order some or try and find a silicone cutting board. anyway i did pillars mine. never tried firing into the window. my dash was cracked all to hell. so I didn't even attempt to look. just threw a dash mat on it and called it good.
    Ahhhh, man - that body style was the first one I really fell in love with. "The Mayor of Truckville" - them were some snazzy rigs when they first come out. Took a while for the 2006 headlight change to grow on me. Really didn't like the 2009 body style until seeing the R/T. But then this new DT body in 2019, boom. Back in love again.

The NVX baffles are really nice. I still haven't gone into the doors to try listening without them. But they seal really well.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post

Let me know if you want me to send you a set to test. I have a few spares on-hand.

Chris