Thread: Input Needed: Assembling a Comp Set, picking a mid range.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Input Needed: Assembling a Comp Set, picking a mid range.

Recently I picked up a set of passive nakamichi crossovers (for the SPS5200/65000 comps) I'm planing on using them with the Nak coaxials that I currently have in the car but I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers once I get my amp and sub installed. Since I have a set of crossovers I was thinking it would make more sense (and possibly be a little bit cheaper) to assemble my own comp set. Though if I do go this route than I may be "forced" to replace the rear speakers and maybe the sub (I'm weird about matching gear).

The mid ranges I am currently looking at are:

A pair of Cadence CLV-5K's. These seem to have quite a bit of positive buzz and seems to be made by the same build house that make Dynaudio's mid's (specifically the ones for the Esotec System 242) a brand which people have been know to worship blindly. The only negative thing I could find was on ca.com about them not being loud enough but I don't know how much validity can be attributed to that statement.

A set of Zapco i FORCE 5.2's. I haven't found too much on them but what I have just reinforces the fact that all you really need to know is that it's Zapco.

And honorable mentions:

Al pointed these out Dayton Audio ND140-4, having never used Dayton audio or any raw drivers before I'm at a bit of a loss.

Papacueball mentioned the M130X Woofer from gr-research. Specs look good and the price point is right, but I just can't find too much about how they work/sound in the real world.

I'm looking at sticking with the factory 5.25" size but can be tempted to go up to 6.5". If you have any info on the ones I posted great if you think there are some I should look at as well feel free to post a link.
    Last edited by Hi-FiDelity; 11-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.