Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay to mix different model speakers in the same brand (HERTZ) need help

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Is it okay to mix different model speakers in the same brand (HERTZ) need help

Not sure if I should do this or not. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab. I was going to replace the internals with CDT components and 6.5 coaxes in the rear. Turns out the rears won't fit due to height using an adapter. So back to the drawing board. I was looking at Hertz Dieci series DCX 165.3 for the rear, one up from entry level, and the Cento CPK 165, two up from entry level. I've never had any experience with the Cento line, I only have the DIECI line in my daughters' Toyota 4runner running off the HU for now which will be amped in June. They sound pretty good for what they are, clean-not a whole lot of punch, but good clarity. I didn't know if mixing models makes things odd in the cabin because they're not of the same design level and will perform differently. I do like rear fill to add to the experience; I have learned though that front stage is significantly more important. I am thinking this because there's no significant reason I can think of to invest the extra $75 or so for the rear when I don't think I'm getting the return on the investment. Does anyone have experience with these Cento's? Do they have good midbass, are the tweeters sharp or lacking?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it okay to mix different model speakers in the same brand (HERTZ) need help

There is no reason to ever use the same model of speaker... apart from ocd, but other than that knock yourself out... the fact of the matter is even a component set may come from two factory’s, they may have been put together because on paper they blend well, but throw in the variable of a car and various install methods and you wreck that in seconds

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Re: Is it okay to mix different model speakers in the same brand (HERTZ) need help

True that! I' also looking at the ENERGY series ESK 165L.5 I've found these on Amazon and they're the next level up from the CENTO series for about the same price. My original budget was $300 for the internals, now I'm getting close to $400. So if anyone has a working knowledge about either of these two that would be appreciated, and if price is so close which one would be better. From what I see the ESK 165L.5 is supposed to have more midbass which will be great.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

Hopefully,I stated that correctly, because I just realized I mean the same model coax as component? Or can you use a lesser component for the rear...it's late, I'm at work, and I'm just staying awake while it's slow....lol

5. Back To Top    #5

I auditioned 3 different tweeters, 2 different 3" mid and 2 different 6.5" mids before I found a sound that I liked.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

That's a lot of returning or reselling stuff...lol

7. Back To Top    #7

Ya gotta try stuff... that’s a small pile from at work, there’s three pairs of tweeters, scan 10f, ground zero uranium amps and a few hybrid audio unity items, I have two sets of seas midbass, a bit of gz nuclear kit, a zapco z150.6ap sat at home waiting patiently to go in... an ultra that’s for sale and a dsp.3 to go in

I really need to sell some stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	10539  

8. Back To Top    #8

No returning and selling was easy lol. I have a couple connections at the local stereo shop so I get OK deals.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Like others have said. The only reason to stick with the same brand of speakers or equipment throughout is due to OCD and/or manufactures marketing buzz. Look at your requirements and judge from there.

I used to be in a phase where i could only turn my volume up in odd increments due to OCD. Then I bought a vehicle without a volume level display. Problem gone.

Seriously, the last system I had that I was freaking proud of had 4 or 5 different speaker brands and a separate amp brand.

Relax and experiment with what you think might sound good regardless of brand alliance.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

I have no brand alliance per say, I just saw these Hertz on Amazon at a great price and I always in the past got the same "series" if you will for front and rear.