Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does my amp goes into protect for 1/2 second every 30-60 seconds

1. Back To Top    #1

Why does my amp goes into protect for 1/2 second every 30-60 seconds

Looking for a little guidance on what could be causing my daughters amp to go into protect what seems to be every 30 seconds. I say protect but I don;t really know if that is really what is happening, the amp power light goes to red audio is silenced for short burst amp light returns to blue and sound is heard again.

I put a volt meter across the + and - input of the amp and voltage remains steady at 14.04 volts.

I tried disconnecting sub speaker wire (5 channel amp) and problem still happens.

Looking for ideas on what types of things I need to check to track down the cause and / or possible causes.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why does my amp goes into protect for 1/2 second every 30-60 seconds

I found this in the manual and don't think it is possible since I am feeding amp with mosconi 6to8v4

@When over 4V DC comes into amplifiers, then, they will be DC protected. Check whether amplifiers work after removing RCA-Input. ;

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

What amp? Are all speakers working and sounding normal? Have you done anything else to the car recently? Was it working fine prior to this without changing anything? Lots more needed information to help diagnose over the internet....
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Nick

Is it only at higher volumes?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5

Mosconi mute if the inputs are overdriven, just wondering if the mute circuit is upsetting the protection of the amp and one could be causing the other... always worth a look... or it could also be over current protection if gains are set ott, or even a defective protection circuit

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Lexus LX 470 (Land Cruiser)

I had a Arc Audio xDI 1200.6 (Class D) amp that went haywire after a couple years. It would go into protect mode every week or so. The 3rd time that it went into protect mode, it fried my speakers. I sent the amp in for service and never got a clear answer on what was wrong with it.

I reinstalled the same amp and replaced the speakers but, no other changes about a year ago with no more problems.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
    I had a Arc Audio xDI 1200.6 (Class D) amp that went haywire after a couple years. It would go into protect mode every week or so. The 3rd time that it went into protect mode, it fried my speakers. I sent the amp in for service and never got a clear answer on what was wrong with it.

I reinstalled the same amp and replaced the speakers but, no other changes about a year ago with no more problems.
    Probably just dropped a new board in it and sent it back.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    What amp? Are all speakers working and sounding normal? Have you done anything else to the car recently? Was it working fine prior to this without changing anything? Lots more needed information to help diagnose over the internet....
    Skar Audio Rp600.5

I did remove a jumper wire that went from 12v to remote turn on for the DSP, so now the DSP is truly triggered by the head unit (i.e. does not run when car is off and not sure how I never noticed this jumper wire before). I can't say if it happened immediately after that change but I tried putting the jumper wire back in and problem still exists.

Speakers sound normal.

I didn't want to overload the first message with too much info, I am responding to everyone now.

Update: Outside temp was in the 20's this morning and the amp came on for about 10 seconds and went into protect and would come out unless you power cycle.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Is it only at higher volumes?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Happens it low volumes too. I didn't try notice if volume all the way down affects it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Mosconi mute if the inputs are overdriven, just wondering if the mute circuit is upsetting the protection of the amp and one could be causing the other... always worth a look... or it could also be over current protection if gains are set ott, or even a defective protection circuit
    Don't think it is the DSP, I noticed that when I first setup the car and this is something different.