Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REW: Can you display more than one saved curve in RTA ? and bonus question pink nosei

1. Back To Top    #1

REW: Can you display more than one saved curve in RTA ? and bonus question pink nosei

Currently I only know how to display one reference curve when I'm doing a live RTA. Is there a way to have multiple saved curves on the screen ?

Obviously I know you can see them all together on the "All SPL" main screen but I'd like to see them while I'm tuning pink noise.

Follow up question - I am using the REW Pink Noise generator (wired from the laptop output to the aux input on the stereo with a mini RCA style plug), and lately I have been choosing "Pink Noise PN" as the description makes it seem more optimized for REW analysis than the plain "Pink Noise" option.

Is this a good choice ? Would I be better off using a WAV file or CD that specifically calls out "uncorrelated pink noise" ? I guess theoretically it would be higher fidelity and perhaps more representative of what the system does when playing although the RTA screen
    indicates the sound card pink noise is full spectrum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: REW: Can you display more than one saved curve in RTA ? and bonus question pink n

Once you get your individual speakers tuned with the individual curves for them, just display the overall curve at that point.

Periodic pink noise is the best choice for REW and the RTA window as long as you have what is being generated matched to what the window is expecting.

Also, as Nick (skizer) and Justin Zazzi have both told me, correlated pink noise always (Pink PN from REW is correlated). Otherwise you will never be able to check for center (as there would be no common information from the speakers to get a center).
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 02-07-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: REW: Can you display more than one saved curve in RTA ? and bonus question pink n

So I think what you are saying is there isn't a way to disply multiple saved curves on the RTA screen.

I have my reasons for wanting to do so.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

yes. Load up all the measurements you took so they're all listed on the left side and then select the "ALL SPL" tab.

Then you can un-check ones you don't want to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	9237

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    yes. Load up all the measurements you took so they're all listed on the left side and then select the "ALL SPL" tab.

Then you can un-check ones you don't want to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	9237
    He knows that and said that in the Original post. He wants multiple on the RTA screen. I don't know of a way.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks but I'm talking about the RTA screen where you can view the input wave form as measured in real time from the microphone. Besides the microphone input, you can also display another previously saved reference or measured frequency response curve.
    But as far as I can tell you can only see one saved curve at a time (plus the real time input) on this screen. I would like to see multiple curves, very similar to what you can do on the All SPL screen except being able to compare them to what I'm measuring in real time.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I don't think that's the program's intention. You have to save the measurement and then you can compare it.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I could see the benefit of having, for example, the tweeter curve you are trying to ultimately match, but also having the other tweeter actual response overlayed. That way you can see how close to both you are getting without having to save, go to all spl, select, etc.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

technically you can do that. Select the one you want on the SPL & Phase then select RTA. It will display that saved RTA to compare. But I don't see a way to list multiple saved.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I could see the benefit of having, for example, the tweeter curve you are trying to ultimately match, but also having the other tweeter actual response overlayed. That way you can see how close to both you are getting without having to save, go to all spl, select, etc.
    Exactly.

I actually have a lot use case scenarios where this would be useful, but it sounds like I"m not missing some hidden option or anything, just wanted to make sure I wasn't being obtuse. For example it took about 3 months to realize you could change the reference curve that is displayed by clicking on it on the main screen. I just always assumed you could only see the last thing you saved ha ha.