Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HAT Unity shallow 6x9 vs Stevens mb6

1. Back To Top    #51

Re: HAT Unity shallow 6x9 vs Stevens mb6

I did read the threads posted over the last few days but can't remember if Illusion Audio has been mentioned.
    And doesn't Morel make some shallows ?

Interesting thread !

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I did read the threads posted over the last few days but can't remember if Illusion Audio has been mentioned.
    And doesn't Morel make some shallows ?

Interesting thread !
    They do - https://Morel PowerSlim 6 Carbon

But with 2.75mm Xmax - I'm not sure how much midbass you can really expect from them in a mobile environment. Could definitely see them doing quite well in a wall mount speaker enclosure, or slim soundbar under a TV.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    They do - https://Morel PowerSlim 6 Carbon

But with 2.75mm Xmax - I'm not sure how much midbass you can really expect from them in a mobile environment. Could definitely see them doing quite well in a wall mount speaker enclosure, or slim soundbar under a TV.
    That looks like more of a last resort when nothing else will fit. Wonder how they sound?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #54

I'm glad I saw this. I've been planning on shoehorning a set of Eric Steven's mb8's in the doors of my 2018 ram. It's too cold up here in MN to be pulling door panels but based on this I'm going to start looking into plan b myself.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Curious, is there any room between the door panel and the OEM baffle? If so, you could build up the baffle so the speaker sits out further as long as its not hitting the grill/panel when its at full excursion. This would give the back-end of the speaker more room behind it.

...though I'm sure you've already looked to see if this is possible...just didn't see it mentioned in any of the suggestions above.

6. Back To Top    #56

Quote Originally Posted by chevbowtie22 View Post
    I'm glad I saw this. I've been planning on shoehorning a set of Eric Steven's mb8's in the doors of my 2018 ram. It's too cold up here in MN to be pulling door panels but based on this I'm going to start looking into plan b myself.
    Just for a drop in? The Stevens is a amazing performer and can be very loud. If your sub can play up to 75 well i see little advantage to the ones mentioned here playing lower

7. Back To Top    #57

Oh I have 0 doubts in its performance. It's the lack of available real estate that I'm concerned with now.

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I agree with the above. The Stevens Audio MB6 would most undoubtedly get really loud with low distortion on less watts than the others. Wether it’s the right driver for the application depends on what you are looking for. These programs can only predict output and electrical response.

I was listening to my CX5 last night, which is currently just a two way GB60/GB15 with GB12 sub, and man if anyone can swing those GB60’s then do it because it’s just an incredible driver. There is a part in Michael Jackson’s Black or White song where the father is banging on the door and it makes me jump every time because it sounds so realistic. My other two vehicles sound fantastic too but they don’t quit do this. The GB60 has nice thick realistic sounding mid-bass, gets very loud and with very low distortion that easily meets the 1800 x-over point of the GB15 and rivals the stage presence put forth by my 3-way in my truck. The GB12 is also in a class all it’s own. I have no regrets purchasing any of the GB series drivers and they were a stretch for my means, trust me on that.

Hillbilly, if you can swing the GB60 (depth 2-3/4”) and they fit then I guarantee you these will be the last midbass drivers you will ever purchase.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I agree with the above. The Stevens Audio MB6 would most undoubtedly get really loud with low distortion on less watts than the others. Wether it’s the right driver for the application depends on what you are looking for. These programs can only predict output and electrical response.

I was listening to my CX5 last night, which is currently just a two way GB60/GB15 with GB12 sub, and man if anyone can swing those GB60’s then do it because it’s just an incredible driver. There is a part in Michael Jackson’s Black or White song where the father is banging on the door and it makes me jump every time because it sounds so realistic. My other two vehicles sound fantastic too but they don’t quit do this. The GB60 has nice thick realistic sounding mid-bass, gets very loud and with very low distortion that easily meets the 1800 x-over point of the GB15 and rivals the stage presence put forth by my 3-way in my truck. The GB12 is also in a class all it’s own. I have no regrets purchasing any of the GB series drivers and they were a stretch for my means, trust me on that.

Hillbilly, if you can swing the GB60 (depth 2-3/4”) and they fit then I guarantee you these will be the last midbass drivers you will ever purchase.
    Oh trust me, I'm well aware of the midbass of the gb60. They just have a weight to the sound that you don't normally hear from a 6.5" woofer in the doors. Sadly I just can't justify the price at this time. I about choked when I sent Neibur the money for my gb25's but they're probably the only thing in the system that will never change as long as they're playing as they should. My sub really doesn't have a problem reaching up to a midbass crossed at 80hz. Lucky for me up front bass isn't a problem with a Dayton ho12. My gut feeling is saying the Stevens is the superior speaker in engineering and performance of the ones in my price range (performance in their happy zone that is). There's one other perk to the Stevens if I don't like them but will keep that my little secretThe way my truck bloats the midbass I might be able to swing them with the extra power handling and cone control in a leaky door. And they're made to be installed in a sauna. When the sun hits my doors on a humid morning the back of the midbass gets pretty damp from condensation causing the back of the BLACK coated fiberglass cone to turn GRAY:o
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Oh trust me, I'm well aware of the midbass of the gb60. They just have a weight to the sound that you don't normally hear from a 6.5" woofer in the doors.
    Thats a great way to describe it.

I was eyeing those Minn Kota trolling motors with the i-pilot today in Cabelas but just can’t justify it when my current motorguide works fine and I picked up a Lowrance Elite ti9 last week.

looks like you’ve made your decision.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901