Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HAT Unity shallow 6x9 vs Stevens mb6

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

HAT Unity shallow 6x9 vs Stevens mb6

I need to switch to a more car audio friendly midbass woofer for a few reasons. Good impact and quick punch is the goal. VERY FEW 6x9's will fit in my doors due to how the factory "pod" is built. Anyone who has worked with the door locations of the 09-18 Ram knows what I'm talking about. I have just over 3" mounting depth with a 3/8" spacer and a gs690 won't fit. That's the ONLY reason I had to sell the pair I used and LOVED in the Grand Cherokee. Anyway, the shallow Unity will fit because the basket is mostly open and will clear the window track support that's 2" inside the factory door pod...at least I'm 99.99% sure it will. My other choice is the Stevens mb6. I question its ability to play low just in case I decide to get crazy with it even though it supposedly has a really good motor behind the cone. I listen to a lot of hard rock and metal and alternative and get funky with olskool rap too from time to time. I'm currently using a pair of Scan Discovery 7's in the doors that sound amazing but don't have the gonads to really rock the house without me having to worry about tearing them to pieces.

I'm replacing my Zapco ST-4x SQ with an RF Punch 2ch that's rated at 100x2 at 4 ohms and 150x2 at 2 ohms. The shape of this amp will work better with my install than the Zapco that's more long and skinny and pulling midbass duty only. Would I really benefit from the cone area of the Unity at twice the price?
    http://hybrid-audio.com/files/manual...ker-Manual.pdf
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/stevensaudio/shop/
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: HAT Unity shallow 6x9 vs Stevens mb6

Later on I can run some simulations for you in Bassbox Pro comparing the three if you would like Hillbilly.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Later on I can run some simulations for you in Bassbox Pro comparing the three if you would like Hillbilly.
    That would be great content for the forum. Thanks man!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

i'd be curious how those unity's sound...i liked my old 6.5" imagines (and all other HAT setups i've heard), but the frequency response graph doesn't look all that great on the shallow unity 6x9. the mb6 looks muuuuuuuuuch better on paper

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    i'd be curious how those unity's sound...i liked my old 6.5" imagines (and all other HAT setups i've heard), but the frequency response graph doesn't look all that great on the shallow unity 6x9. the mb6 looks muuuuuuuuuch better on paper
    Yeah I noticed that too. And to pile on to that depending on the cabin response it could lead to one ugly baby. My gut feeling is telling me the Stevens is the better engineered driver at this point.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I know it isn't quite apples to apples, but in our 2010 Ram Regular Cab - I tried a lot of 6.5" woofers, and was always happy with their output compared to the stock 6x9 speakers. Again, not an exact comparison, but it did have the Alpine woofers with the blue plastic cone compared to the usual cheapie fabric stock speakers.

Tops of the list that I tried were the JL C5 and Morel Hybrid Ovation, and those C5 6.5" absolutely pounded in them doors. Incredible amounts of midbass impact. Sadly, just had a single 10W6V2 in there that couldn't quite keep up with them. Where the Morel I did a higher crossover point, because the Ultimo SC 12 blended so seamlessly and was able to cross it higher. Both were wonderful setups though.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

7. Back To Top    #7

I know these probably aren't considered to be on the same level as the more expensive speakers being talked about here, but the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C component set (6x9 midbass and 3.5" mid/high coaxial) has a really good "slim" 6x9 speaker that is designed for Dodge/Chrysler products. Plays down to like 40hz (I measured 40hz as being the highest part of the response at my ears with no xover defined)! Just another inexpensive option. They are rated for 100W RMS.

I installed the whole set in my 2018 Challenger and the 6x9's really do handle the deeper bass really well. The Five Star Car Stereo guys also commented on the bass response in their review (something along the lines of "they almost have *too* much midbass").

You could always pick them up from Amazon and return them if they don't meet your needs...

Although, you don't really need the 3.5" speakers that come with them - but could resell them to recoup some of your ~$200 back if you decided to keep the 6x9's (they actually sell the same 3.5" coaxials on their own as well). Unfortunately, the 6x9 midbass speakers aren't sold separately...

EDIT: Here is a link to the Five Star "unboxing" video for these (it's not really a review, but at the end, starting at around 14:15, they talk about the sound quality since they ended up installing them in a RAM right away).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcKXx2jtCgk

8. Back To Top    #8

6x9 (cone area) with a 2 ohm impedance

Done!

Kelvin

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    6x9 (cone area) with a 2 ohm impedance

Done!

Kelvin
    Yeah that's where I'm leaning since I do miss how effortless a 6x9 (basically an 8") cranks out midbass.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Yeah that's where I'm leaning since I do miss how effortless a 6x9 (basically an 8") cranks out midbass.
    https://www.amazon.com/CL-69SUB-CF-2.../dp/B00X8D92EG
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CDT-Audio-H...-/113334431571

Mounting depth on both is less than 3" - don't know what they're worth, never used them

Kelvin