Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton 408 or similar DSP

1. Back To Top    #1

Dayton 408 or similar DSP

This will be my first setup ever, 3way active. So far have SA12, Orion amp, ppi 900.4, Steven's MB8s, Faital 4F32, MA ct-2, just need a good DSP. Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Dayton 408 or similar DSP

Dayton is a decent unit for $150, but I find it beneficial to pick up a used Helix dsp ($250-300), dsp pro (~$350(|), or dsp.2 ($~350).

For reference, I have a helix dsp.2 in my truck and a dayton 408 in my wife's SUV. The helix has quite a few more options that are beneficial.

If you don't want helix, there are a bunch of other brands out there that you can get for around the same prices used that are better than the dayton.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I like the miniDSP C-DSP 6x8. Yes, it is over $100 more than the Dayton 408 but IMO
    it is money well spent.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...-dsp/c-dsp-6x8

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Donanon View Post
    I like the miniDSP C-DSP 6x8. Yes, it is over $100 more than the Dayton 408 but IMO
    it is money well spent.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car...-dsp/c-dsp-6x8
    What specifically makes the mini a better choice?
    Last edited by Maxmil982; 02-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Music choice doesn't really matter all that much. Clarity is clarity. Peoples cars on this forum get stupid loud too. They just sound amazing doing it.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Music choice doesn't really matter all that much. Clarity is clarity. Peoples cars on this forum get stupid loud too. They just sound amazing doing it.
    Yup. I've had people tell me that I'd tap out before their system did. Most of them were right but it sounded so good until I decided enough was enough.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Yup. I've had people tell me that I'd tap out before their system did. Most of them were right but it sounded so good until I decided enough was enough.
    Hey man is the Dayton 408 output only 2v? If so, is that a big deal? I've heard a good head unit should have 4v output, and also that the Dayton replaces the h/u when using BT...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Rca output is 3.5v

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
    and also that the Dayton replaces the h/u when using BT...
    That's up to you. You can stream directly to the Dayton.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

The only time rca output voltage is a big deal is if your amps get noisy as the gains get increased to match the output voltage of the headunit/processor. I've had as little as .9 (yes "point nine") volt going to my amps from a popular budget processor years ago. Amp gains were maxed out but had no audible noise. Was running a pair of Mosconi One 120.4's at the time and those weren't budget amps by any means by a lot of people's standards including mine. I've noticed with a lot of the more budget amps I've run that the noise floor is way more temperamental and class d amps seem to have a lower signal to noise ratio from my observations. For signal to noise ratio you want the number to be as high as possible...preferably 3 digits in my opinion.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.