Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix Director touch screen not working anyone have similar issue ?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Helix Director touch screen not working anyone have similar issue ?

Oh wait, I see what you're saying now. So the touchscreen doesnt work but volume does. Yeah, try opening it up and loosening u pool the screws that secure the board by about a quarter to half a turn and see if that helps

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12

I'll try both of those suggestions tonight, thanks.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

So I wonder what the cause is.. Possibly board tension causing a connector issue? Interesting.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    So I wonder what the cause is.. Possibly board tension causing a connector issue? Interesting.
    When the screws are too tight the screen will tough the housing and act as if it's already being touched

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

There have been a few that I have seen where the circuit board is tightened just a bit too much to the housing and it always thinks that it is being touched. If you are comfortable taking it apart and loosening the 4 screws that mount the circuit board inside 1/4 turn you may be good to go. If you aren't comfortable or that doesn't work for you hit me up and I can get an RMA started so that I can get it working right for you.
    Doug Dobson

6. Back To Top    #16

Three cheers for CAJ.

After I put on my glasses and rummaged around in my hex key tray, I took the cover off and loosened the 4 screws a half turn. The touch screen began working after that, but was wonky. It would respond to my touch but after a 1/2 second delay switch back to the previous screen (so it was basically unusable).
    That seemed weird but I thought maybe I went to far, so I tightened them down 1/4 turn. It seemed to work better then but still seemed a bit wonky although I can't now describe what I was seeing, probably erratic response.
    So then I updated to the latest directory firmware (and dsp beta release although I only have a DSP.0), and now its working 100%.

I'm a little nervous just because it seems pretty sensitive to that adjustment and I feel like the problem may return at some point (remember this unit worked fine for several months) but I'll know what to do if it does.

Truth is I mostly only use it for adjusting the subwoofer volume anyway, but it will be nice to switch tunes on the fly as I have some plans in that area.

Thanks again CAJ, and thanks Doug for chiming in with the offer.

I will kind of miss that Apicella logo, I felt like it tied me into the community a little bit, but not so much that I would make the effort to reload it given the bmp file

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post

I will kind of miss that Apicella logo, I felt like it tied me into the community a little bit, but not so much that I would make the effort to reload it given the bmp file
    i can always email it to you..

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    2008 Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    i can always email it to you..
    I just bought a new Helix DSP Ultra and a new Director and I had the same problem with my Director. The touch screen keys did not work most of the time no matter how I pressed them. In fact, when I powered up the Director the very first time, I had to press the default soft key on the touch screen to update the firmware about 15 times before it took. After the update, the soft key touchscreen buttons would intermittently take me to a function other than the one I chose! The volume knob did work, but I could not navigate through any menus using the touch screen. I downloaded the user instructions for the Director and noticed that the example screen shots shown along with the directions given did not work on my Director. I'm so glad I found this thread! I did you suggested and loosened the 4 internal screws that hold the board to the frame and now the soft keys work fine!! I thought I was losing my mind or that I had a bad Director or that I did something wrong connecting it, etc. even though I studied the install directions to the T. I'm happy I found this and that it is now fixed, but this issue kind of makes me a little disappointed in the quality control given the expense of this hardware and the fact that it's German-made which for me was a big selling point. Also, it would be helpful if Audiotech Fischer Helix would document this issue and the fix on their website on the page(s) regarding the Director.

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
    I have no idea if this is what yours is doing, but I had the same issue right after I bought it new last year. I talked to Doug at MSA and he said that Helix had an issue at production where the screws holding the board to the frame (inside the unit) were too tight and causing the issue. I took mine apart and loosened the 4 screws that hold the board in and my problem went away. Might be worth a try.
    Just made an account to say thanks! I was having this exact problem. Seems like for the price it should have a capacitive touch screen...

10. Back To Top    #20

This fix has continued to work for me (the OP). This last week I did have a problem where the screen kept reverting to the sound setup page - ie I usually leave it on "master volume" so I can control the subwoofer volume, but it kept reverting. I started thinking maybe I had the opposite problem and needed to go back in and tighten the screws just a hair.

But then it quit doing it and its working fine now !