Thread: Completely new to tuning

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Completely new to tuning

As the title says I am completely new to tuning. I have been reading the different posts on this forum as well as the Audiofrog guides and also reading up on REW. I also picked up the DA UMM-6.

To start I thought I would take some base measurements of my current factory system to get familiar with the concepts, software, etc as well as have a baseline for comparison once I complete my new system

2018 Mustang GT with Base Stereo - so a 6 speaker set-up, no grills in the upper door panel for a 3 way set-up though the hole is in the sheet metal (eventually I hope to buy new premium door panels from an auto recycler and go from a 2 way to 3 way system but that's for another time).

I attached what I think is the first good reading of the factory system as I had a few things to figure out after my first couple of attempts. You will see I have the audiofrog house curve on it.

Speaking of audiofrog, when their test gear was on sale in December, I didn't understand enough about what was being provided and all the supporting documentation Andy had, in hindsight, I wish I would have bought it for the $160 as its much more then just a mic with a velcro mount. I'm not a fan for how my mic sits in my headrest of the Mustang, points a little to downward for my liking.

In any case, let me know what you think of the factory curve as I am no expert, I am still absorbing what I see and ultimately what I think it means.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M6G_BS_RTA_001.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	9130  
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Completely new to tuning

Quote Originally Posted by MegaG View Post
    As the title says I am completely new to tuning. I have been reading the different posts on this forum as well as the Audiofrog guides and also reading up on REW. I also picked up the DA UMM-6.

To start I thought I would take some base measurements of my current factory system to get familiar with the concepts, software, etc as well as have a baseline for comparison once I complete my new system

2018 Mustang GT with Base Stereo - so a 6 speaker set-up, no grills in the upper door panel for a 3 way set-up though the hole is in the sheet metal (eventually I hope to buy new premium door panels from an auto recycler and go from a 2 way to 3 way system but that's for another time).

I attached what I think is the first good reading of the factory system as I had a few things to figure out after my first couple of attempts. You will see I have the audiofrog house curve on it.

Speaking of audiofrog, when their test gear was on sale in December, I didn't understand enough about what was being provided and all the supporting documentation Andy had, in hindsight, I wish I would have bought it for the $160 as its much more then just a mic with a velcro mount. I'm not a fan for how my mic sits in my headrest of the Mustang, points a little to downward for my liking.

In any case, let me know what you think of the factory curve as I am no expert, I am still absorbing what I see and ultimately what I think it means.
    Andy's guide on tuning on the audiofrog blog site is a great place to start. You might also try Kyle Ragsdale's youtube videos on tuning a sound quality car. While the audiocontrol DSPs are ok, they don't have anywhere near the tuning flexibility that the helix dsps have. If you don't want to spend the cash on a DSP Ultra, you can likely find a used mini or Helix Pro for cheap on the forums.

I expect nobody's commented as your stock frequency response is what you'd typically expect- not very good. You will notice that your base response is pretty low, and you have a pretty low response at the higher frequencies as well. Not much you can do about it without taking the course of action that you listed in your sig line. You could add a sub with a line controller to help improve your bass in the short term, but to get anything dialed in you'll need a DSP.

3. Back To Top    #3

One tip - when posting frequency response graphs from REW, try to use 5dB increments - that's the "standard" used when posting graphs (yours has 10dB increments). Just makes it easier to see details about the response.

But yeah, the factory response is pretty bad. No highs and no deep bass.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle

When I bought the Audio Control unit I was being cost conscious but to be honest I would be willing to spend more now since I have continued to read more, watch more videos, attended my first MECA event, etc. Unfortunately, I missed my return window so I will stay the course and use it as a learning opportunity run with it for awhile and then maybe upgrade down the road.

I understand the lack of comment of my posting, it didn't look good to me, it was more for my benefit then anything else. I've been a little side tracked getting my garage sorted out including a shop system for music and getting some tools so my car build has been delayed some. Hope to pick install back up in a month or so after I take care of some other family priorities. Needed to replenish funds to order my sound treatment. In hindsight, I should have waited on equipment purchases until everything else was ready, I definitely would have done some things differently.

I will look into Kyle's videos, thanks!
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    One tip - when posting frequency response graphs from REW, try to use 5dB increments - that's the "standard" used when posting graphs (yours has 10dB increments). Just makes it easier to see details about the response.

But yeah, the factory response is pretty bad. No highs and no deep bass.
    Thanks for the scaling tip, I will have to remember that, I did pick up the OBDII adapter so I can remove all EQ for the Mustang's Audio Control Module when I am ready.